The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Voting Question - Is This Legal?

When hubby returned from voting early this morning (I'm going later), he said that when your turn came, folks were being told that they only had "30 seconds" in which to vote. He said he just took his time regardless, but still - is this legal??

I mean, what if you're in the middle of re-reading something (like the amendment stuff that's on the ballot) just to be sure. What are they going to do, yank you out of the cubicle before you've voted because your 30 seconds are up?

While I can understand them wanting to keep the line moving because this is a Presidential election & thus all the normally deadbeat voters are coming out of the woodwork, I can't believe this is legal voting procedure.

Anyone know for sure?

No, it is not, and what's more, they are required to provide a helper if you have any trouble reading or completing your ballot. He should report that crap ASAP.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

5 members found this post helpful.

Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    No, it is not, and what's more, they are required to provide a helper if you have any trouble reading or completing your ballot. He should report that crap ASAP.
    Do you know or have an idea who we'd report this to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Do you know or have an idea who we'd report this to?
    Call your county supervisor of elections office.

I had my sample ballot all filled out and brought it with me. It still took me about 3 minutes to get through everything.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

2 members found this post helpful.

Look on your state's voting website. In my state (DE) they state in the voting guidelines on their website that each voter has 3 minutes in the booth, and that after 3 minutes someone will come check on you to see if you need assistance. The wording of the site makes it sound like they'd prefer you to keep your voting to under 3 minutes but that they won't kick you out for taking longer, just check on you to make sure you're understanding how to use the voting machine properly. Maybe your state is similar but some overzealous volunteers at the polling place took it a step further?
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Default I have to agree, doesn't sound right,

and I might speak to them about it. I am usually up on the major items, but when it comes to retention of judges??????? And the legalese wording? I agree maybe 3 minnutes, Only a rabbit could do it in under 30 seconds!
    Another killer of threads

Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks guys. I just called the voting registrar's office & told them, & they're going to send someone over to that polling place asap & tell them to stop the "30-second" nonsense, long lines or not. I didn't think it was legal, but am not up on voting protocol.

14 members found this post helpful.

As Curb Appeal said, look online for contact info for your County Board of Elections.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Really? Really????? That's very illegal and needs to be reported.

That sort of behavior is absolutely disgusting. The peoples' voice must be heard. All of them.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

1 members found this post helpful.

Good for you for reporting that and getting it stopped, Bacardi1!

2 members found this post helpful.

I was thinking, if some group wanted to interfere with voting, could they get enough people to come vote and sit there holding the election forever, so no one has a chance to vote?

Maybe that is why the 3 minute vote and if someone takes way too long, a way to tell them to move on.

Just curious about all this.

When I went to vote, the lady at the courthouse waved off my registration card, said that she has known me all her life, since she was a little kid, no need of ID.
    I don't think it took hardly a minute to vote here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    When I went to vote, the lady at the courthouse waved off my registration card, said that she has known me all her life, since she was a little kid, no need of ID.
    I don't think it took hardly a minute to vote here.
    Same at my polling place, only we vote at the fire station. Our pollworkers, Miss Ophelia and Mr. Floyd, pretty much know every one of us by sight. So many of the nation's problems could be solved if we all lived in the country.

This problem looks like it's been resolved, but for others who may encounter problems voting: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...votereport.htm
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Be careful of "helpers"--one reason certain groups, and we all know who they are, "help" seniors and ESL people is to vote FOR them.

And given the number and wording of the proposals on Michigan's ballot, thirty seconds won't be long enough to read one, let alone all six.

Anyone going to vote today who sees weirdness like this - you can call the Election Protection Hotline at 1.866.OUR.VOTE to get volunteers to help fix the problem. Don't forget your smartphone/camera, too, and take video if you can of the unsavory activity. Stories are easy to ignore, but video? No so easy.

...was it a touch screen machine? ours log you out after 30 seconds if you don't touch the screen (and the election judges tell you this). but once you bring the ballots up, you can take your time (which is helpful as my county had 9 freakin' ballot questions on top of the school board and judges and congress and president stuff).

Sounds like someone wasn't fully awake for the polling station briefing this morning.
    Agree 30 seconds is insufficient to vote properly.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Be careful of "helpers"--one reason certain groups, and we all know who they are, "help" seniors and ESL people is to vote FOR them.
    I saw a few elderly folks with "helpers" but the poll workers made them stand back and let the voter do their thing by themselves. If the voter needed help the poll worker stepped in, though I know they're not permitted to touch the voting machine while the voter is using it.

As for the 30-second rule, I never heard of anything so ridiculous. Someone needs to be smacked over that.

Call 1-888-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)

Or the Justice Dept. 1-800-253-3931
    Last edited by LauraKY; Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Because I'm not American and are only subjected to stuff I see on TV and read in newspapers, and have no idea about your actual voting procedure, how DO you fill out your ballots? I'm curious to know why it takes a long time. Ours a slip of paper with 4 or 5 names on and we place an X next to who we want.....takes about 10 seconds! What do you have to read and go through?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!