The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I thought this was going to be a thread about something like those stupid "Bic for Her" pens . A pink, sparkly flowered, chainsaw!!

Another vote for a Stihl. We have this one:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/products/cha...-saws/ms180cb/

It is easy to start and use, both DH and myself like it. Does everything from slicing branches to taking down a walnut tree (with some patience):
    http://www.facebook.com/kate.e.urry/...type=3&theater
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

The Stihl and Husqvarna are both good although I find Stihls awkward to start. They seem left handed to me. The Husqvarna have a pressure relief valve that you depress before starting that makes starting a breeze. Husqvara'a come with a lighter chanin that I always replace with a Stihl chain.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

There's only one that I recommend for women, or even men not used to using a chainsaw.

Stihl MS180 plus whatever the letters added on the end of that are for the easy start version. The built in chain tensioner works just fine. I keep one for a climbing saw. We've worn out two of the previous versions, 018, and I'll always have one of these even though we also run 029, 036, and an 044. One of these homeowner saws will do a LOT of cutting.

Get someone who knows how, to show you how to sharpen the chain. Any chainsaw is dangerous, and a PITA, to use with a dull chain. Even this little saw will melt right down through wood with a really sharp chain. Notice how it cuts when it's new. If it doesn't cut that good after someone sharpens it, they don't know what the hell they are doing, so keep looking for someone who knows how. Someone who can't sharpen one, can't teach you how to. Typically, the chain will need whetting after every tank of fuel you run through it. It's much easier to keep it sharp with 3 strokes per tooth, than to let it get dull enough that it takes 7 strokes.

Use Stihl oil in the orange bottles for breakin, but change to the Stihl synthetic mix, in the silver bottle, after running the first gallon through it. The dino mix in the orange bottles burns kind of dirty, and will clog up the spark arrestor screen if you use much of it. If you aren't going to use it much, like maybe one tank of fuel per year, buy the 8 buck a quart premix from the Stihl dealer.

1 members found this post helpful.

None of the things you listed is best cut with a chainsaw...

Have a look at the Stihl Kombi system. It's a single powerhead and you can attach different things like a brushcutter (think weed whacker with a horizontal circular saw blade) for clearing bushes and saplings, and a mini-chainsaw for pruning (which would also get the grapevines, without you having to be close to the blade when it invariably gets tangled up in the vines.)

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/

My little "chainsaw on a stick" is very useful for clearing branches, then I can get in close enough to use the brush cutter. It's nice not to be up close an personal with the falling branches (and the bugs!)

The big chainsaws are for clearing trees. When I occasionally use them it is with great respect, chainsaw chaps, a helmet with a face guard, and hearing protection.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Default thanks for all the advice

Wow - I did not know how much I did not know ! Very helpful and informative responses. I know I am not the only one who appreciated the education. I will go into this purchase all lot more seriously than I was. Someone mentioned not going to a home improvement store, where else should I go to see an array of equipment ?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, you'd want to go to a specialized retailer that sells outdoor equipment of that nature. I don't know what the urban equivalent would be but there are a lot of those types of places in rural and agrarian areas.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!