The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best chainsaw for women ?

I am manning up and asking BF for a chainsaw for xmas. I am petite w decent upper body strength, I am not mechanically inclined so it has to be easy for me to maintain. I am mostly clearing grapevine, shrubs, and small trees. Any recommendations on makes or models, use and maintenance ?

Great question!

I'm interesting in hearing some opinions too. How big is too big - or too small?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

An Electric chainsaw with a battery pack is as good as it gets for you. A 16-incher would be ideal for you I think.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I just want to say that the title of this thread amused me

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    A 16-incher would be ideal for you I think.
    And I'm sorry for being so darn juvenile, but this comment is SCREAMING for a "that's what she said."

Sorry, tired and a little punch-drunk today...

3 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

You really need to check out a few; I find the different brands all "balance" differently, so what feels solid and in-control to one person may not be the best for you. Personally, I love Stihl saws.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    You really need to check out a few; I find the different brands all "balance" differently, so what feels solid and in-control to one person may not be the best for you. Personally, I love Stihl saws.
    This!

Go start fondling some chainsaws.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    This!

Go start fondling some chainsaws.
    But be careful; some are really into biting!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

If you want to go chainsaw shopping, don't do it at a home improvement store. They have a pretty crappy selection and usually only carry a few, which means you won't get a good chance of finding something that works for you.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The question shouldn't "best for women" but best for inexperieneced user. Chainsaws are very fast cutters of flesh and bone. Doctors have a hard time sewing up injuries since the saw rips bits out unlike a knife.

Have I scared you ? Good ! Respect the machine and it will do the job as you intended.

1: get a saw with a low kick-back chain and bar.
    2: a longer bar is is harder to control, get the lengthyou need not oversized.
    3: stay away from saws with only a top handle. They maybe small & cute but they're harder to control and start.
    4: Get a pair of chainsaw chaps, ear and eye protection.
    5: Always be aware of where the saw blade is in relation to your body parts, and where the nose of the bar is going to contact. If the nose of the bar catches on anything, it will kick-back toward your face. Shrubs and grape vines are most dangerous to cut since there are lots of ways for the saw bar to get caught on something.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    The question shouldn't "best for women" but best for inexperieneced user. Chainsaws are very fast cutters of flesh and bone. Doctors have a hard time sewing up injuries since the saw rips bits out unlike a knife.

Have I scared you ? Good ! Respect the machine and it will do the job as you intended.
    This - and never demonstrate "the wrong way to start a chainsaw" as in "guys, make sure never to start the chainsaw like this... Oh Shit." Then you have to call your SO and say, "honey... don't freak out, but, I think we need to go to the hospital... right now" after you have chain sawed 2/3 of the way through your foot.

Ask me how I know this (although I was fortunately on the receiving and not dialing end of the above mentioned phone call).

Sorry I have no actual advice on which model as my experience is limited!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

I have a Black & Decker rechargeable battery operated chain saw that I like. It has a very short blade and I certainly can't do big stuff with it, but for yard cleanups it works fine. The battery pack needs frequent recharging but, I bought a Black & Decker string trimmer at the same time that came with two of the same battery packs. So when I want to do some serious cutting, I just make sure that all the packs are recharged and switch them out as needed.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I have several chain saws. The battery operated one is excellent for vines and saplings, light and easy to handle. I have an electric chain saw on an extendable pole. Not so light, but ever so handy for getting those smaller limbs that are just out of reach. And then I have a regular gasoline powered chain saw. I am very particular about my tools and must feel comfortable in handling them, so go try them out. I find that I am more comfortable with a smaller one... 16". The balance is important as well. unfortunately you will not be able to "really" try them out by cutting something.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Here's how to recognize a low kickback chain...

http://northernwoodlands.org/article...of-the-trade11

I love my Black and Decker 18 volt rechargeable. The bar is about 12", and I have been able to cut up trees up to about 20" in diameter. It's also very quiet compared to a gas chain. I have lots of extra batteries since I own several of the B&D tools in that line, so I can work for quite awhile by just changing out the battery when needed. We also have several other chain saws ranging from medium sized to huge, but we use my little one way more than the others.

I have this one: http://www.stihlusa.com/products/cha...saws/ms250cbe/ with an 18" bar. You can get it with a 16" bar if you're more comfortable with that. BTW, the easy start feature really does work!

Instead of a chainsaw look into an electric heavy duty trimmer type of thing. If all you want to cut is grape vines and tiny saplings ( which could easily be done with a hacksaw) I think a chainsaw is way more than you need. As the wife/ mother of three guys who do a lot of cutting it isn't something you want to do with the wrong machine . If you get tired in the arms while you are using it, you really risk injury.

Husqvarna. My sister has 2 (she manages a lumber company.)

Stihl's are my favorite. I like the Stihl 24 the most for it's versitility and size. My least favorites were the McCulloughs and Homelites.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post

I have a Stihl with the EZ Start and the EZ Start is key. My dad adores my chainsaw and swears it starts easier than any other he's ever used. I can't really compare effectively because I have never been able to get his started.

Kevlar chaps are wonderful -- lightweight and they WORK. My bro is a vo-ag teacher and swears he wouldn't teach chainsaw techniques without them.