The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Getting "bad" notifications

I haven't been on the forum in a while. I noticed the new format when I visited a few days ago. I also had 4 notifications. This is, apparently, where people judge my comments. Okay, I'm good with that. 3 out of the 4 were "bad" and referred to the same comment made back in July.

Today, I come back and there's another, new, notification on the same comment from last July and it was a 'bad'. What's up with that?

I find it a bit disturbing that someone is hounding me for something I said several months ago. Is anyone else having a 'problem' with the ratings?

Actually the comment that is referred to contains a quote of something I said with a response. So I don't know if the 'bad' is what I said (in the quote) or what the response was.

I also got 2 "Notifications" this morning, both were good, but I find this a bit disturbing. First of all, I do not want to have to open something I didn't ask for and second if you don't like what I say, put it in the thread. From now on I just won't open the notifications.

It smacks of stalking. . .
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

1 members found this post helpful.

Meh. Someone giving me an anonymous thumbs down on a message board is not high on my list of things to care about. I've had two, so far. Could not care less. Everyone is free to search my posts from the beginning and give be "bad" ratings - it won't even ruin my next 10 minutes, let alone my day.

13 members found this post helpful.

Okay...glad it's not just me that sees the stalking aspect of it. I'm also disturbed that someone is going all the way back to July 7. AND that the person is not identified.

I agree...got a problem?, spit it out!

I'm not a fan of anonymous ratings...I have no clue what it's supposed to prove, but I don't really care either. I'm very glad they go rid of the nasty red and I hope the anonymous ratings die a natural death too. You want to have a thumbs up or thumbs down, attach a name to it.

Mods, why not agree or disagree....what's with the good vs bad. Is this preschool?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

I think it is probably COTHs way of cutting down on the personal bantering back and forth on the threads. This keeps the threads from rambling on and on, getting personal and getting off the original topic. Plus, it saves space on the BB. Or, they are copying ebay's method of rating buyers and sellers.

BTW, I have been a stalking victim in "real" life and there is no comparison. Sticks and stones...
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

One trouble is that to see your PMs, you have to get past the thumbing.

If those were at least in another place, we could ignore them better.

Evidently enough like them, as they seem to be used frequently.
    Why spoil their fun?

Different strokes and all that.

You have a right to your opinion. If others agree with you, good, if they don't so what. The problem with the notification feature is the lack of discussion of yes or no.
    It's meaningless.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

So this is an example of a "First World Problem", right?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    BTW, I have been a stalking victim in "real" life and there is no comparison. Sticks and stones...
    While I disagreed strenuously with your post in another thread, you are right on about this. "Stalking" suggests the potential for someone to do you actual physical or emotional harm.

I like the notifications. If I get a bad one I just amusedly think that person is a tool (at least on that issue), and if I get a good one I feel validated for about ten seconds. No worries!

4 members found this post helpful.

I dunno, I kind of like them. It draws me back to discussions that may have fallen off the main page since I was last perusing the boards. I got a bad one the other day and when I went back to reread the thread, I got a good chuckle at my comment that got the thumbs down. So there's that too. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    So this is an example of a "First World Problem", right?
    I gave this comment the thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Okay...glad it's not just me that sees the stalking aspect of it. I'm also disturbed that someone is going all the way back to July 7. AND that the person is not identified.
    I'd wager it was a thread that got bumped up recently and the thumber didn't realize it was an older thread. A few threads got pushed back up when they reformatted.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I gave this comment the thumbs up.
    So did I, and I am highly amused that the one bad rating I have so far I got for saying I quite liked the new forum look
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

We warmbloods got a thumbs down on a thread where we were complaining about getting a thumbs down! We occasionally wander off from the secret santa thread, since we got a head start and finished all our shopping and mailed all of our gifts off to Eleanor. And so we got a thumbs down on the political thread. When we complained, we got another thumbs down. We are not amused.

We don't like it, but it's still better than getting the signal that one is #1, the middle finger number one sign. Or as a football announcer once said to another on tv, "look, Don. He's telling us we're #1."

We just want to get the names of those who thumb us down. A little toilet papering of their houses should be our revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    So did I, and I am highly amused that the one bad rating I have so far I got for saying I quite liked the new forum look
    I want to give this comment a bad rating just for $hits and giggles.

I would like a feature below each poster's name with the numbers of thumbings they have given, one for the greens, one for the reds.

Then, below each post, two columns, one with the names of green thumbers, one with the red ones.

Oh my goodness, I didn't even know what the notifications were about !! I was ignoring that feature. Now I see I have 11 notifications. I wonder if they ever clear out, or if they just keep accumulating. And what could possibly be the usefulness of these notifications?
    My mother always taught me to follow the advice of Thumper's mother (the rabbit in Bambi, for you young'uns)..if you can't say something nice (or useful) don't say anything at all. And all the red & green thumbs in the world won't change that.

We need a consistent terminology
    Is it "appreciate" (vs not appreciate)
    "Helpfull" (vs "not helpful"
    or "Good" vs "Bad"?

Pick ONE and use it in all 3 places.

Speaking of old posts, I just got two Appreciate/Helpfull/Good for a post from 2011.

In general, I'd really like to know WHO did it. If it is someone whose opinion I respect, I am going to interpret the notification (good OR bad) very differently from a notification from someone whose opinion I don't respect.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).