The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    And you have Rescue Attention Whore Torturer.
    RAWT. I love it!

Or "RAT" Rescue Attention Torturer as some of the offenders may be male.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's the Save Them All, ZOMG I'm Crying mentality.

Add in the Holy Crap, Look at MEEE and How Bad This Horse is and How Good It Makes MEEEE Look syndrom.

Poor filly. Lot of horses don't show serious pain...prey is hard wired to NOT show weaknesses if at all possible. The ouchy horse gets eaten or driven out.
    I'd also suspect she's being used a perfect fundraising tool. It's shocking and gets your attention right away. Those who don't know enough to know she'd be better off put down will be likely to open their wallets.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.

Even if she is not in terrible pain now, the surgeries, splints, treatments etc that will be needed WILL BE VERY PAINFUL.

Surgeries HURT! And the amount of deformation that needs correction here, yikes, stretching tendons, correcting bone, ouch ouch ouch.

Don't put this poor bright eyed filly through that misery!

Oh right... But she is the fund raising horse of the month

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    I'd also suspect she's being used a perfect fundraising tool. It's shocking and gets your attention right away. Those who don't know enough to know she'd be better off put down will be likely to open their wallets.

This reminds me of fundraising tactics of the Raras. Shock and awe used to get people who don't know any better to open their wallets.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Even if she is not in terrible pain now, the surgeries, splints, treatments etc that will be needed WILL BE VERY PAINFUL.

Surgeries HURT! And the amount of deformation that needs correction here, yikes, stretching tendons, correcting bone, ouch ouch ouch.

Don't put this poor bright eyed filly through that misery!

Oh right... But she is the fund raising horse of the month
    I shudder to think of the AGONY this filly will suffer if put through these surgeries. This, IMO is as criminal as the folks that let her get this way in the first place.

ROFL New phrase. Come on - she's like the poster horse for donations!!
    WOW the pictures are horrid.
    I can't imagine not even letting that horse out for 3 years Really??
    How much energy does that freakin take.

It's the Save Them All, ZOMG I'm Crying mentality.

Add in the Holy Crap, Look at MEEE and How Bad This Horse is and How Good It Makes MEEEE Look syndrom.

Poor filly. Lot of horses don't show serious pain...prey is hard wired to NOT show weaknesses if at all possible. The ouchy horse gets eaten or driven out.

So. who's been trimming her feet for the last three years? Huh? Look at her feet.

OMG OMG OMG! I drew my breath in quickly when I saw the photos and couldn't bear to read the copy. She is a pretty, pretty pony (without the horrendous deformity), who does look super sweet. But, like so many before me have said, have a heart, people, and let the poor girl go down with dignity (if even that could be said after she's been allowed to live with Krazy Feet for THREE YEARS). I also second Cayusepapoose's question of who the heck has been trimming those feet low these past number of years?!

I assume the rescue group had her feet done after they got hold of her.

She looks really stressed to me, anxious, not happy. Look how her weight is shifted way back onto her hind end. Her entire body probably hurts all the time.

Also: Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Also: Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should!
    THIS! Give the poor girl a bucket of carrots and apples, all the pets and smooches she can stand, and let her go over the bridge. Recovery is going to be torture and who's to say she'll even be sound for the pasture once its all over? There are PLENTY of other horses out there who have the potential to be some horse-crazy girl's BFF with a little TLC and groceries.

Gosh, you guys are a tough crowd.

She doesn't seem miserable to me.

If someone wants to save her, and give her the best life possible, even if it's just for a time, then what is it to you? I say go for it. No one ever said life was easy for anybody, but sometimes it's worth it.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

well, I have to say that a good way to compromise on this is to have this horse go to a teaching vet hospital or such. Let them bear the financial weight and use this case as a research and teaching case. If the horse begins to exhibit over the top pain, at least she can be humanely euth'd and her experience will teach future vets about this type of issue.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

6 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Surely for a surgery that major, you'd want a 2nd opinion? It doesn't seem like the vet is being all that rational either.....

Poor horse. Even if she does make it through the surgery, where are they planning for her to spend her life in a pasture??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    RAWT. I love it!

Or "RAT" Rescue Attention Torturer as some of the offenders may be male.
    Or RAWT, phonetic spelling of "rot".

Otherwise knows as not good. Really. Just let the poor filly go.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    well, I have to say that a good way to compromise on this is to have this horse go to a teaching vet hospital or such. Let them bear the financial weight and use this case as a research and teaching case. If the horse begins to exhibit over the top pain, at least she can be humanely euth'd and her experience will teach future vets about this type of issue.
    The vet mentioned is at Auburn. Good vet, his specialties are Improving laparoscopic techniques in large animal surgery and Orthopedic problems in horses. My guess based on his interests are that this filly looks like a great research project and future academic publication. The price quoted for surgery is likely a teaching rate.

The surgery won't fix the abraded coffin bone and other issues that will make a very unhappy horse for years to come, assuming it's successful.

Quote Originally Posted by anita m View Post
    Gosh, you guys are a tough crowd.

She doesn't seem miserable to me.

If someone wants to save her, and give her the best life possible, even if it's just for a time, then what is it to you? I say go for it. No one ever said life was easy for anybody, but sometimes it's worth it.
    Do you really think they would publish a photo that showed her in pain and agony? Look beyond the surface at the severe atrophying of her leg muscles, at the effect it has had on all of her body over a long period of time and you will see what experienced people on this board see, a filly who has gone through enough pain already with a very fragile outcome and a good chance of more pain to come.

There comes a time to know when to save and when to let go. I have been in a position to put down several of my horses in the past who were bright eyed and seemingly happy, but I knew what would happen when drugs wore off and the pain returned, or in one case, with a gelding I spent tons of money on in a failed attempt to rehab him after a horrendous stalling accident. He pranced out of the barn the day we were to euthanize him and the two men who came to dig his grave said he was the most beautiful horse they had ever seen and why was I putting him down. Only the vet, myself and my husband knew he was sick to death of long bouts of stall rest and getting nowhere, was not healthy enough to be turned out even by himself, and the prognosis for his atrophied hip was grim. I pumped him full of bute so that he had the ability to walk out instead of hobble out nearly three legged lame that final day, but I knew in my heart it was his time.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

4 members found this post helpful.

Put the poor thing down. Why put her through all that pain?

All I have to say is... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????????

First, her idiot breeders, then more idiots come along and don't just humanely euthanize? Disgusting excuses for human beings.