The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Can you vote in a county you aren't registered in?

Not sure if anyone knows the answer or if it varies from state to state. I didn't get my absentee ballot in time (I know bad me) and I'm currently not living in the county I'm registered in. My address is in the other county too. I am unable to make it to my registered county and feel a little guilty not voting. A friend told me it is illegal to turn someone away despite where they are registered. I've tried to find an answer online but have had no luck. I figure the thing to do is show up at the local polling place and just try. Would rather not wait an hour and be turned away though because of my crazy schedule today. I assume there would be someone at the door (and by someone I mean 30 volunteers) who could find the answer out for me. Anyone else know?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

I would be shocked if that were allowed. Could you drive to the place where you're registered?
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I don't think so as they won't have your name on their list.

In NC, on election day, you have to vote in the county and precinct you're registered in. During early voting, you can vote anywhere within the county. I don't think you're allowed to vote in a county other than the one you're registered in regardless of when you vote.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

In Mass you must vote in the town you are registered in.

Ok that is what I figured. Yes, theoretically I could drive to that county but unfortunately it just isn't possible today.

The question can not be answered, because you didn't state where you are. Elections laws vary considerably from state to state.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

in VA you must vote in your assigned precinct. I saw a woman this morning show up and try to vote and they told her she had to go to the precinct 5 miles up the road.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    The question can not be answered, because you didn't state where you are. Elections laws vary considerably from state to state.
    I'm in Delaware. It states it in my location up top.

I heard this morning (news) that Governor Cuomo (NY) has decreed that those who were displaced by Sandy can vote in any county in NYS. The only drawback is that, of course, they would not be able to vote for any local (county/town/etc. specific) people or issues.

I'd be surprised if Governor Christie and perhaps others badly impacted have not made similar exceptions.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

May I direct you to the procrastinators thread?

I'll meet you there.

We moved and yesterday we went to our current county, late registered for the move, and voted. We had until noon, we dropped our ballots at 11:45. But we did get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    I heard this morning (news) that Governor Cuomo (NY) has decreed that those who were displaced by Sandy can vote in any county in NYS. The only drawback is that, of course, they would not be able to vote for any local (county/town/etc. specific) people or issues.

I'd be surprised if Governor Christie and perhaps others badly impacted have not made similar exceptions.
    I totally understand why they are doing that, but I can't help but wonder what is to stop someone from voting at one place, then going down the road a piece and voting again. Are they going to have names of every single registered voter in the state at every single polling place? Is there an electronic interface between the polling places to ensure someone doesn't vote multiple times at different locations? Are they going to manually verify ever single vote, looking for duplicates? Seems that would seriously affect the amount of time it takes to tally the votes.

No. I mean, if they allowed that (at least without a MOUNTAIN of proof you really do live where you say) then you might as well just let anyone vote anywhere as many times as they wanted.

They turned people away that were at the wrong voting location this morning where I voted today. Can you call voter registration and have them up date your address? I did that last week. You just need a photo ID a passport will work, since the address on your DL will not match what they have on file.

Just wanted to give an update. I was able to fill out a provisional ballot that allowed me to vote for president, senate, and congress.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would think that all of the folks in NY that are allowed to "vote" anywhere due to the crisis are voting on a provisional ballot.

They will make sure that they are only voting once.

1 members found this post helpful.