The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Does a permanent resident have the joy of jury duty and are they subject to being called into the military if the draft were put into place?

Janet I know you can not give financially to a campaign unless you are a US citizen (theroetically ) so does volunteering your time not fall within that restriction? I've never though about this...

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Does a permanent resident have the joy of jury duty and are they subject to being called into the military if the draft were put into place?
    No. In the United States there are two things only citizens can do: vote and serve on a jury.

Volunteering does not count as a financial contribution and is allowed. It has been a while since I've dealt with federal election laws, but I would imagine a non-citizen is also forbidden from providing in-kind donations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post

Janet I know you can not give financially to a campaign unless you are a US citizen (theroetically ) so does volunteering your time not fall within that restriction? I've never though about this...
    Not subject to jury duty.
    Yes subject to the draft (my father had a US draft card)
    Even those here on temporary visas are (were) subject to the draft.

No prohibition I know of on donating money, or time, to political campaigns. (I made my employer look into it when they wanted us all to donate to the company PAC, and they assured me it was legal.)
    Last edited by Janet; Nov. 6, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The right to vote comes with citizenship.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Well, IMHO the term "PERMANENT Resident" implies that one is NOT a visitor, but living here PERMANENETLY, and no more likely to move away than a citizen.

My father spoke, for years, about "retiring to the UK", but he never did.

While I know you don't mean it that way, I DO resent being called a "parasite".
    My deepest apology.
    I was thinking in the extreme of the person who votes without citizenship for politicians and measures that benefit themselves.
    Having "known" you on this board and finally getting to meet you in person - you are nothing like this.
    Very interesting to learn of your family's experience living in the US with UK citizenship.
    Also read the post indicating the UK has modified their voting laws.

Regarding your Father's, i take it US Draft Card. For what it is worth, my BIL served from 1944-1946. Then was drafted for Korean War and his prior service was totally ignored. He had to go through boot camp in a different branch of service.

Very enlightening conversation.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by j_feil View Post
    No. In the United States there are two things only citizens can do: vote and serve on a jury.

Volunteering does not count as a financial contribution and is allowed. It has been a while since I've dealt with federal election laws, but I would imagine a non-citizen is also forbidden from providing in-kind donations as well.
    You also can't hold a Commission under the U.S. (you can't be a commissioned officer in the Armed Forces, a Federal Judge, an appointed official, etc.).

I don't know about liability for compulsory military service. I've never looked it up. I've known many Green Card holders who served honorably as enlisted personnel.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Yes subject to the draft (my father had a draft card)
    Even those here on temporary visas are (were) subject to the draft.
    That's interesting. I didn't think it would be true. I wonder if it has changed?

I am a permanent US resident and a French citizen. I've been in the US for 20 years. But I am not going to apply for citizenship, even tho France does (for now, anyway) recognize dual citizenship, and even if it means I can't vote in the US, which I think is totally justified, by the way. I just wish I could vote on very local (town) issues. But I don't want even that enough to become a US citizen.

I never thought of myself as a "parasite", tho...lol!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    That's interesting. I didn't think it would be true. I wonder if it has changed?
    It has not. All male US permanent residents over the age of 18 must register for selective service within 30 days of receiving their green card. Failure to do so is a serious offense that puts their green card in real jeopardy.

Green card holders can absolutely make political contributions. In the age of the super-PAC, there are very, very few restrictions on who can make political contributions.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

When someone asked me where I was from, my answer was "from Mars, see, my green resident alien card".
    I guess that if you are from Venus, the card is blue, from Mercury, orange.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just heard a story on NPR recently regarding voting, etc. One point that was discussed was whether or not residents can vote in local elections. I think the general sentiment was that, yes, they can.

I am sure there would be a great deal of research needing to be done by an individual on whether or not that's true and how you would go about it, but if that IS the case, at least permanent residents could have a say in things that absolutely effect them on a day to day basis (stuff like school boards, etc).

Just throwing it out there...thought the story was interesting.

Wow, did I open a can of worms? LOL
    Actually I think a lot of the points that were made are very valid. I applied for my green card pre 9/11. No lawyer, easy but very time consuming. So after my husband and I got married in Quebec, where I'm from, he had to come home, and I stayed behind until the temporary card came in.
    After we were married for? a few months I think, I could apply for my '1st' permanent card, which was valid for 10 yrs. That process was plain silly imho, just like someone mentioned earlier. Proof of marriage, some personal questions asked of us in separate rooms.
    Am now towards the end of my 2nd 10 yrs stint.
    My initial reasoning for not becoming a citizen was the time involved, the cost, and, at heart, I just consider myself a French Canadian.
    So when I travel back to Canada, my green card is slipped in my Can. passport and I offer both to the person asking.
    May I mention that Canadian officials always take both, but only scan the passport. From the US officials, I've had my passport almost thrown back at me w/the comment; 'I don't need this one' Another time the official gave me grief 'cause my green card only had a few weeks to go before expiring. I came close to replying to him; 'Well that's my problem, not yours' LOL
    I will have to look into the voting for local stuff, that affects me closer to home.
    And I would have voted for Obama btw :-)

People become US citizens for a wide variety of reasons.

Don't forget that Jessica Mitford BECAME a US citizen so she could JOIN the US Communist Party.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

As for jury duty, I've received a summon about 4 times. I send it back reminding them that I'm not a citizen and get a reply saying I'm excused. I guess the don't keep track! :-)