The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default You know those posts that go "I will never board horses again?"

This is another one.

We all know horseowners are "colorful" people. Here are some random experiences that made us decide last month, "never again." (FWIW, we only have two boarders at one time, max, and it's 100% self-care.)

1. First owner spins a tale of woe, and we believe her. She brings over her horses, and one of them is slightly underweight. I ask her about it, she said he didn't have any grass at home. Okay Owner goes MIA for a few days. Horses didn't get fed. Looooong story short, due to lack of care, we asked her to vacate.

After that person left, we had our two additional incidents (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...e-allowed-quot)

2. A fellow came to see our place to board. He seemed like your average horseowner. He had a tale about his horse and how he had him for ten years, something at his current pasture was making him sick ("throat swelling and vomiting"....yes...."vomiting") so he was moving him over. I asked to speak to the Vet that was treating him first and also said I would pay for a nasal swab to ensure it wasn't Strangles-related. He was excited to move and said that was fine. He took a copy of our boarding agreement, put a deposit down, and moved all of his supplies into one of our tack rooms. He was going to bring his horse over in three days.

Three days came, and I informed the owner that I had prepped his paddock for his horse, etc. He tells me his horse had a "relapse," and he was taking him to the Vet's. He tells me later that day that the Vet wants to keep him for two days.

The weekend is approaching, and I touch base with him (after the two days are up,) and he tells me it wasn't a good day. They had to put his horse down. He was getting out of horses for awhile, and he would be by to collect his items.

We decide since it is late in the season, we just won't offer boarding until Spring so we can concentrate on prepping our pastures with lime, etc. Weekend came, and the guy didn't pick up his items. I thought, "he must be taking it hard."

To be formal, on Monday morning, I write a 30 days notice to vacate and was about to send it to him via e-mail (and printed and mailed...and printed and hand-delivered to cover all bases,) I get an e-mail from him telling me that he went up to Johntown to visit friends and go to a festival, and they offered to give him one of their horses (describes horse, we'll call it "Horse B.") He said Horse B would be over "sometime this week so keep a lookout for him!" I tell him that was nice of his friends, but....insert 30 days notice here, telling him that since he said he was getting out of horses, etc. we had made other plans for the pasture. (Plus, in our boarding agreement, coggins/vaccination records provided beforehand, and someone must be present for the arrival of a new horse.)

He laughs, and he says "that's fine." He will be by two days from now to pick up his items.

Five minutes later, my husband calls and tells me the guy is there at the farm getting his things. He says he was visiting clients in the area. He tells my husband that he was up in Doetown and went on a trail ride at a trail ride business, and after the business learned about the loss of his horse, the owner of the business decided to give him one of their trail horses! But since we gave him notice, he would just bring the horse to a friend's farm with "seven 40 stall barns, three competition rings, and two arenas." (We know darn well there is no such place within a several hour radius of our town.)

Now we have:
    Going to Johntown, friends give him this horse.
    Going to Doetown, trail ride business gives him this horse.
    (Same horse: different towns, different circumstances...fairy tale?)

A week goes by, and I see a post online about how a horse, went to his new home over the weekend but the owner was now calling her telling her that Horse was "vomiting and throat was swelling" and to come get him. Because owner is in my area, I think, "that's a little too much of a coincidence." I contact the owner and ask if it was a [description of guy] from our town, and she flat out says his name, etc. I tell her that the guy was going to board at our farm but said the same thing about his former horse who had to be euthanized.

She was shocked. Why? The guy used the same story on her (just had to put my horse down,) but he told her a day after he had come to our farm after coming out to see it that he had to put his horse down "a few weeks ago." Also, he had told her that OUR farm was a farm he owned. He gave her instructions to deliver Horse B (yep - same horse) to our farm on that Monday (the Monday we gave him notice and he showed up to collect his items) "around noon." He wasn't in the area visiting clients. He was in the area waiting on his new horse. He had also contacted her about buying her horse the day after he came to our farm to arrange boarding for his horse, Horse A.

After we gave him notice, he called the owner and said something came up at his work, and he was going to be out of town, but he would be back at the end of the week, oh....and something was wrong with his [our] farm, so the horse would be going to a friend's place for now (the farm with the supposed poisoned pastures.)

NOW Horse B was "sick," and he wanted the owner to come get him. An hour later, he posts a video online riding Horse B (who is not "vomiting" nor coughing nor doing anything.) Owner said, "uh - isn't that Horse B in the video?" and never hears from the guy again.

Pretty sure guy was getting free/cheap horses, filming a short under saddle video, and selling them at a higher price.

Ironically enough, the Vet that was [supposedly] treating his horse is a friend of a friend. When she was asked, "have you heard about something weird going on in our area of horses getting sick at a pasture where their throat is swelling and such, and then they are under Vet observation?" She said, "No, is it something I should be concerned about? I haven't heard anything. I will ask others in our practice."

So now after having someone that just didn't care for her horses, two more people that were interesting, a guy that was a whack-a-doo, and our last person whose horses snapped three fence posts (4" x 4" wood....cemented into the ground) and demolished our boards and field fencing and whose only assistance to the matter was "well that's why I have hot wire on the tops of my fences," I will never board someone's horses again.

Maybe I didn't have enought coffee this morning but I so have no clue what this was all about....

Just a typical day in the life of a private boarding operation. I used to run one of those. Used to. Past tense. Never again.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

2 members found this post helpful.

I had my coffee and while it is tough to follow, I do understand the jist of it and sympathize - I have had a potential boarder come in and say they would like to borrow our saddle, because they don't have one and need us to help them train and handle their horse because they don't have much experience.

I have a great boarder now and am thankful

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Maybe I didn't have enought coffee this morning but I so have no clue what this was all about....
    If you thought it was confusing to read, you should try living it.

3 members found this post helpful.

It sure is true that running a boarding barn gives you a great opportunity to meet a lot of crazy people. I think self care board situations are the worst--you may get lucky and get a few dedicated, serious clients who are committed to their animals' care, but more often than not you get people who just don't want to spend the money and that goes along with how much of a priority their animals are to them. It has been my experience that there are very few clients out there who have the time, knowledge and responsibility to care properly for their animals.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    It sure is true that running a boarding barn gives you a great opportunity to meet a lot of crazy people. I think self care board situations are the worst--you may get lucky and get a few dedicated, serious clients who are committed to their animals' care, but more often than not you get people who just don't want to spend the money and that goes along with how much of a priority their animals are to them. It has been my experience that there are very few clients out there who have the time, knowledge and responsibility to care properly for their animals.
    It is also true that being a boarder gives you great opportunity to meet a lot of crazy BOs and BMs. It is a job that seems to attract a lot of whack-a-dos so it is no surprise that there is a lot of complaining from both sides of the fence! I just wish crazy boarders would board with crazy and leave the non-crazy BOs/BMs to the non-crazy boarders.

OP I see you are relatively new here, so my advice is to read a lot of BeeHoney's previous post's -- she's the best expert on boarding (in my opinion!).

I have a backyard barn, with 7 boarders. My best advice, if you forget your resolve and reconsider, is to SCREEN boarders carefully. Ask for references BEFORE you agree to have them board with you. I ask for vet and current barn at a minimum, and I call them.

I agree with BeeHoney -- I think you are letting yourself in for a lot more trouble with self-care boarders. How much more work is caring for the boarders' horses yourself?

PS I see you are actually an Alter, never mind, you may have been on the board longer than I. But my advice to read BeeHoney still stands!

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    OP I see you are relatively new here, so my advice is to read a lot of BeeHoney's previous post's -- she's the best expert on boarding (in my opinion!).

I have a backyard barn, with 7 boarders. My best advice, if you forget your resolve and reconsider, is to SCREEN boarders carefully. Ask for references BEFORE you agree to have them board with you. I ask for vet and current barn at a minimum, and I call them.

I agree with BeeHoney -- I think you are letting yourself in for a lot more trouble with self-care boarders. How much more work is caring for the boarders' horses yourself?

PS I see you are actually an Alter, never mind, you may have been on the board longer than I. But my advice to read BeeHoney still stands!
    Been on the board almost ten years. This isn't my first rodeo.

We just aren't offering board any longer. We don't "have" to, and we chose to offer it as a means to help owners out that wanted a more "private" situation.

For what it's worth...references were checked (Vet, Farrier, Current Barn.) The first person had told the current barn that her underweight horse was a "rescue" when she brought her horses there. Current barn also said "well she pays on time every month" which seemed like all they cared about anyways. The nutty guy? Vet reference checked (though the Vet Tech said, "his horse is healthy, and that's all I can provide,") farrier, and current barn checked ("he pays on time and keeps to himself.") Rules (in writing...agreed to by the boarder and requiring them to initial next to each point) are in place, and while some of them may seem stupid to responsible horse owners, there is a reason they are there. Unfortunately, some folks just don't care.

And then they hurt the good guys.

1 members found this post helpful.