The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up It's the most wonderful day of the year!

After today we are DONE with political ads!!! I'm getting so sick of them. Parents had to unplug their phone yesterday.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

8 members found this post helpful.

I agree completely although I don't think it will be long before the next cycle starts up.

I hope everyone will go vote today for whomever and whatever they want.

What makes me so proud of being an American is that we have a system that regardless of who wins, we will have a peaceful transition of power and move on.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Youre telling me.. Yesterday I was blessed enough to live though 8 of em in one comercial break.. during the news right after they did a story about both of them..
    Almost makes me want to move someplace I swore I would never move back to almost..
    Friend of bar .ka

I just hope it's over by tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. I dread the idea of any "nightmare scenario" (term courtesy of the Today show) that will drag out the results for a long time.

Is there an impartial measure of how much advertising and news coverage the elections get? It seems like it gets so much more pervasive every four years.

Exclamation Yup

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I just hope it's over by tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. I dread the idea of any "nightmare scenario" (term courtesy of the Today show) that will drag out the results for a long time.

Is there an impartial measure of how much advertising and news coverage the elections get? It seems like it gets so much more pervasive every four years.
    This year's election was the most expensive one to-date.

Over 1 million TV ads were shown between April and now (pretty sure that broke the record).

Obama's campaign spent more money, but Romney had more Super PAC dollars supporting him.

This is all I remember from when I half-listened to NPR on my way home last night. I'm just glad I don't live in a swing state.

I wonder how much that huge amount of money spent in elections is helping the economy?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by make x it x so View Post
    I'm just glad I don't live in a swing state.
    Unfortunately, I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday driving through THE swing state- Ohio. The radio ads were unreal, both in content and frequency.

And I just saw a clip from Jimmy Fallon's show last night. He had his dog vote by letting it choose which food dish to eat from- the Romney dish or the Obama dish.

At this point, that doesn't seem like a terrible idea!

They had a news story about a convenience story selling soft drinks in blue and red paper cups, your choice.

Wherever that was, they said the blue was outselling the red.

And speaking of recounts, here's a horrible, horrible story in the Times about how protracted the whole process could be:

http://nyti.ms/SPDHuE

I'm avoiding Facebook for the rest of the day. Totally not worth it.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I live in Ohio, and it's been AWFUL. I mean - every. single. commercial. is one for some candidate or another. My mailbox, even though I'm on the Do Not Mail list, has been filled with crap. Thankfully my cell phone seems to have stayed off the list, as they haven't been calling. I wish we had a policy that the candidates can't run any ads. At all.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Sadly probably not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wonder how much that huge amount of money spent in elections is helping the economy?

i seem to remember seeing something about 7-11 giving out coffee in red or blue cups (customers' choice) and having accurately predicted the last three elections by keeping count...

i have to say, though, that after watching wall-to-wall panicky coverage of sandy on all channels last monday night, when i woke up the next morning and turned on the tv and clicked around the dial and saw political ads on every channel, i figured everything must be OK and we must have made it thru the hurricane.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

7 out of 6 of the messages left on our voicemail were political campaigns...my mom claims its my dads fault for registering independent, haha.

I think the British way is better - no money spent on campaigns means no, or very few, political ads.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm in Ohio as well, which may be why I've been playing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWyXKT5qt4 all day even though we don't know who won yet!

I never thought I'd miss those obnoxious car commercials...
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

It's been crazy here in Colorado.

Although my husband has had fun screwing with the people who call...never know just what he's going to say

When do they start allowing the media to post results? I'm assuming results are blocked until at least polling closes?
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    7 out of 6 of the messages left on our voicemail were political campaigns...
    21 out of 22 here. And all pre-recorded. Ugh. I actually changed my answering machine greeting to state that due to the sheer volume of political calls, we're no longer answering the phone.

Robocalling should be completely outlawed, no exceptions for political calls, IMO
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    21 out of 22 here. And all pre-recorded. Ugh. I actually changed my answering machine greeting to state that due to the sheer volume of political calls, we're no longer answering the phone.

Robocalling should be completely outlawed, no exceptions for political calls, IMO
    TOTALLY agree. All but about 1 of ours were recorded too. Basically, unless its my sisters numbers or a British number, I don't pick up the phone when I'm home. If we need to talk to them that badly they'll have either mine or my dads cell phone number. I think we only still have the home # for my mom who sadly has not yet joined the 21st century.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey