The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I give a flexible 30 days notice? +rant

decided to make this shorter...
    what I said before is basically im having some major problems with a new boarding facility and want to move but if in a month the roads are too icy to trailer I need the option to stay.

I want to give 30 days notice so I can take my horse home with me for winter break (in school), but I want to have the flexibility to keep the contract in the event its impossible to trailer a horse back home due to ice (in which case I really dont know what ill do...)
    should I say this to the BO? or just give a plain and simple 30 days notice and if i have to stay just say so? It seems kinda odd to say ''im leaving. but condition condition condition yadda yadda yadda''

sorry for the rant, ive boarded my whole life with horses and Ive never had problems like this.
    Last edited by DressageOverFences; Nov. 6, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: decided post was too long

Unless there are multiple empty stalls once you give 30 days notice, the BO is going to work on filling that stall. They won't want to miss out on a months board by not having that stall filled at the start of the next month. If there are multiple empty stalls and she doesn't have enough people to fill them then she would probably let you stay, or if at the end of the month she hasn't found someone to fill your one stall by chance, she'll probably let you stay. However I would highly doubt if her stalls are otherwise full and her place is busy that she would not find someone to fill it, just in case, for you as she could then be losing out on board.
    Talk to her but I would be prepared to not give notice till you know when you can leave and then pay for 30 days even if your horse is no longer there.

2 members found this post helpful.

A 30 day notice doesn't mean that you can leave after 30 days, but that you have to leave after 30 days.

A 30 day notice doesn't mean that you can leave after 30 days, but that you have to leave after 30 days.
    yes, and if you change your mind, it will be completely up to the BO whether you may stay or not.

You really can't have it both ways unless the BO agrees and if there has been some discord between you ( implied by your post), the BO may not be so accommodating.

So long as you have paid for your 30 days notice, you can always leave before the notice period is up if bad weather is predicted later in the month.

what I said before is basically im having some major problems with a new boarding facility and want to move but if in a month the roads are too icy to trailer I need the option to stay.

I want to give 30 days notice so I can take my horse home with me for winter break (in school), but I want to have the flexibility to keep the contract in the event its impossible to trailer a horse back home due to ice (in which case I really dont know what ill do...)
    should I say this to the BO? or just give a plain and simple 30 days notice and if i have to stay just say so? It seems kinda odd to say ''im leaving. but condition condition condition yadda yadda yadda''

sorry for the rant, ive boarded my whole life with horses and Ive never had problems like this.

No one but your BO knows the answer to this question.
    I agree with the above posters that giving notice means the BO will actively try to fill the stall so that means you will not have a stall after 30 days.
    Maybe your BO is not like that and they have no problem with your tentative notice. I would guess that will not be the case but it never hurts to ask.

Depends, how long is winter break? Do you plan on coming back afterwards? Is the barn full? Is the BO usually flexible about things?

The other piece of "staying" because of bad roads is "staying for an extra night" vs. "staying for an extra month." If it's just a night or two, the person taking your stall probably wouldn't be traveling either.

In my experience, taking your horse home for a month for the holidays is sort of like taking them out for training, in that most places expect you to pay something to keep your stall, and the amount may vary based on whether they are able to fill it for that short time, or not. You don't get a reduction on your rent for your apartment if you go out of town for a month, and many barn owners look at a stall in the same way.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you planning to keep your horse at school w/ you or are you keeping him at the same place after your winter break. The best thing is really to have a conversation w/ the current boarding facility.. let them know horse is going home w/ you at winter break but have concerns over road conditions.. ask if they'll let you prorate any extra days etc.

You put in your notice and on the first non-icy day, you move.

Not the first non-icy day after board is up. The first non-icy day once you've given notice. You do this on your time, not the BO's time. Does that make sense? That is why so many of us end up paying double board for a month when we move.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I agree with BuddyRoo. You will just have to pay attention to the weather and plan accordingly. It stinks paying board at two places but if you really need to get out, then thats what you'll probably have to do.

She won't be paying full double board really if leaves a bit early because of weather --because she is taking her horse home. Yes, some costs duplicated for a bit but not the same as paying full double board for 2 months. She is worrying about possible future weather. That's what weather forecasts are for..

They can't throw your horse out in a storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    If another horse is coming to fill the stall from a near by barn and feels comfortable bringing the horse over, they SURE can!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Sure they can. You pay for x time. Then it's your problem.

Why do people seem to want to take advantage of BOs so much? I don't get it.

Your problem. Not BO's.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...