The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm internet

We've had previous threads about rural internet and how lousy it is. Has anyone found a new service (which is nationwide) which is decent? Last thread was discussing the new ViaSat satellite which seemed to be speeding things up, but we're on the terrible, horrible, awfully slow Wild Blue which seems to have some affiliation to ViaSat now and has not improved one bit.

We run out in a few months, and I'm hoping to find a better option. I have a cell plan with Sprint so one of their air cards is a definite possibility, but I'm hoping to find something better.

I keep thinking those of you who are rural and use MareStare must have something better, but I know the breeder I got my filly from had major internet issues...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I've got the new Viasat one, Exede. It's fine. The speed is decent. The reliability has been reasonable. The only thing that's annoying is that it is capped. We use it all day for work, so would be well over the 25GB per month limit if we did Netflix streaming or whatever at night.

I've seen both Hughes and Dish advertising similar speed satellite services in the last few weeks too. At a glance, they were slightly cheaper, slightly slower and had a slightly smaller limit than Exede.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

All the rural net options suck. There's just no way around it. The best you are gonna get is only good enough for the most basic of uses. The ONLY way you could ever get better is if a data center goes up in your area because that means fiber optic network infrastructure gets built, allowing you access to the higher speeds.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    All the rural net options suck.
    Yes, but note the OP is currently on Wildblue. There are many rural options that suck a lot less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Yes, but note the OP is currently on Wildblue. There are many rural options that suck a lot less than that.
    Yep.

Our speeds are in the 1/10th of their advertised speed range in general. They also regularly reset connections from their end during any kind of photo/video upload, so they then claim it double for bandwidth usage which is paltry anyway.

Unfortunately we're at a former cattle ranch which has been divided up into a very small housing development with miles of state and federal government owned land around, so high speed is not coming our way, probably ever. I mean, heck, our polling place for voting is 40 minutes away!

Sounds like ViaSat is an option, at least. I want to see what kind of cellular cards I can get, as we are in a flat enough area there are actually some towers with 4G, I believe, near enough for reception.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Yep.

Our speeds are in the 1/10th of their advertised speed range in general. They also regularly reset connections from their end during any kind of photo/video upload, so they then claim it double for bandwidth usage which is paltry anyway.

Unfortunately we're at a former cattle ranch which has been divided up into a very small housing development with miles of state and federal government owned land around, so high speed is not coming our way, probably ever. I mean, heck, our polling place for voting is 40 minutes away!

Sounds like ViaSat is an option, at least. I want to see what kind of cellular cards I can get, as we are in a flat enough area there are actually some towers with 4G, I believe, near enough for reception.
    I'm currently in a 3g only area, but even it far exceeds what I was getting with WildBlue on their fastest, biggest professional plan. I was using a usb modem from Verizon, but decided to try using my phone as a hotspot. That works ok, but my phone doesn't get as good of service in my house, so it can be a bit spotty. Instead, I switched plans around and upgraded my modem to a jetpack router/modem thingie. I can run 10 things off of it at once and the speed is faster than my 3g modem (it's a 4g device in a 3g area) was. It works well for me and it was $30 cheaper a month to upgrade to that device on my plan. There are data caps and I think the largest package is 10gb, but it's only $15/gb if you go over on the new Verizon plans.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

1 members found this post helpful.

That's great info, thank you! Sounds worth looking into options here then, for sure.

We have a Wifi from Verizon. The signal was not that great so we ended up with some sort of signal booster, which has helped significantly. If you get cell signal, you can get Wifi signal. Bill is about $60 a month, unlimited use.