The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default painting jump standards and poles

Hey everyone!

I'm on a mission to build and paint jump standards as well as poles.

Someone is helping me with the building part (thank goodness!) but I'm a little overwhelmed with the painting part of it all. I've painted poles and standards before, for coaches etc. but I never paid attention to what types of paint, were primers used etc.

I've decided to use 8' landscape timbers for rails, my ring is small, and another barn I was at had a narrow ring and used them which worked well, we could put more jumps up at a time.

Back on topic though, so paint.

What do I use?

The exterior paints are all kind of blah and if I'm putting all the work into painting them would like some bright fun colours. I would like these to last for a long time, since painting is not much fun, so if i must have blah colours I will.

Do I put a primer on first? If I put a white primer on do I need to put more white on top? Do i need a sealer or something over top of the paint after the colour is on?

I'm a little lost! I am going to go into the paint store just to look and see what they have in stock, but I think I should know roughly what I need to get so no one tries to sell me paint that won't work/not what i need.

Thanks in advance!

I usually just paint the poles and standards with a white or off-white indoor/outdoor paint- but that was mainly because we had a 5gal jug of it sitting around! Then for color, use spray paint over the white paint- lots of fun colors to choose from!

I like oil based enamels - i.e. old school Rustoleum. It comes in almost primary colors. It does take a bit longer to dry and requires paint thinner to clean up, but it is more durable than latex paint. Also, it's shinier; a gloss enamel just glows. . No sealer is required. If you prime, you do need to paint over it. Be sure to use the same type primer as paint, that is don't use a latex primer with an oil based paint and vice versa.

Rustoleum now makes latex paint too. Make sure you pick up the right can, no matter which way you choose to go.

Hit Menards if they are close to you. They usually have an Ooops section where they have discounted paint. If you want your jumps to last use exterior paint. There are lots of nice exterior paint colors, they can add color to any white outdoor paint. We did about 20 standards this year and over 50 poles. Took forever, but boy do they look nice. Here are some of our jumps and color combinations http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9396130&type=3

Are you planning a leisurely winter project, or a git-r-done sort of thing? To do it right, I'd buy some primer and put a coat or two over those landscape timbers (if you're going to use them outdoors, pressure treated would be nice). Then decide on your color schemes and buy the paint you want. Oops paint can work but think about it - unless you live in an area with lots of cool Victorians, who really paints their house bright colors? And you definitely, absolutely don't want to use interior paint on jumps.

Oil based paint will last longer and can be shinier and really looks great, except cleanup is a pain. I believe, but check this out elsewhere, that once you've painted something with oil based paint you can't add a coat of latex over it later unless you do a LOT of sanding and scraping. I think I tried that once and it didn't work so well. Consider who will be helping you repaint the jumps in the future; if it's kids or people who may be messy, use latex.

If I had an entirely new set of jumps to paint, I'd do a coat or two of primer then paint everything white with one or two coats of good, exterior latex. Then I'd go back with the ruler and masking tape, and paint on my stripes or whatever other decorations I was planning. Save a set of old standards, put on 4 sets of cups, put 4 poles across them, and paint a set of 4 all at once - helps keep the lines even! Paint that set of standards last. Don't forget the bottoms of the standards where they touch the ground, even if it's pressure treated. And once you've gone to all that work, store the poles so that they don't scrape across each other every time you move them.

Thanks everyone!

betsyk- I'd say this leans more towards leisurely than git-r-done!

I think I'll go with latex, I tend to be a messy painter never mind anyone who I rope into helping me!

Speaking of storing them, how does everyone store their rails so they don't get scraped up? I've seen different ways, but what do you guys find works well? That doesn't take up a lot of space? These jumps will mostly be living inside, and if I'm spending all this time painting the things they have to last and stay pretty for a good long while!