The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The main parts of my house are almost always clean. I did invest in beautiful handmade custom doors for all the bedrooms. They look gorgeous when they're closed ;-)
    Kerri

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, but I have a cleaning TEAM that shows up every Tuesday...so I get credit for it only because I write the checks.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    But my most useful tool is the hose vac
    When I do actually clean, I vacuum darn near everything. Even the crumbs off the kitchen counter. My mother always used a damp washcloth and wiped them into her hand, but I loathe the feeling of soggy crumbs, so I vacuum them up before I wipe down the counter.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

2 members found this post helpful.

I force myself to vacuum everything down once a week. Other than that, the dishes get done when they overflow the sink, the laundry gets done when there is nothing to wear, the windows get cleaned when you can't see out them anymore, and so on.

It depends on who you are asking!

My boyfriend would probably say I am a tyrant who is never satisfied with how clean the house is.

I say he is a terribly slob who has no ability to "see" mess the same way colorblind people can't see colors. Even when he puts his absolute best effort into cleaning... it's obvious he grew up in a cluttered home where animal fur and cobwebs kinda blurred together in the corners. I've been to both his parent's homes that he grew up in... and truly, this apple is practically still on the tree.

After 4 years of living together, this past year I've finally had enough of the mess and after a few rough patches I think he finally understands the effect clutter has on my mental state. It truly makes me anxious and angry and stressed out, more than I care to admit to. And I started putting my foot down and refusing to allow visitors into our last apartment if it wasn't clean enough. That cramped his style enough, and it also helped him see the social unacceptability of that kind of mess, that he's become proactive about tidying up before mentioning someone is coming over.

Now that we are in a new apartment that is bigger than our last, and is brand-new and beautiful, we're staying ahead of the clutter a little better. I need more storage things (like a hutch for the kitchen, a shoe storage system since we don't have ANY kind of a foyer, a cabinet type thing that can be used for a bar, and some kind of wall-mounted something for the bathrooms that are short on floor space AND counter/cupboard space).

It helps that my dad's business is the landlord for the property, and his offices are in the back of the property. He rarely stops by, but just in case... I'm nearly 27, but the "fear" of my dad disapproving of how I keep house is plenty motivation for me to tidy up- it's amazing how just 10 minutes makes a difference!

Letting the boyfriend splurge on a Dyson vacuum was also helpful- he enjoys his toy, so he's more likely to use it. And, I have to be honest, the fact that it doesn't clog the way our old one did makes ME even more inclined to use it!

Oh, and getting a faux-leather couch was hugely helpful! The animal hair slides right off it, so I don't feel nearly as gross as I did sitting on our cloth couch that was embedded with hair no matter how often I washed the covers. And we never set up the kitchen table. The way both apartments have been, the "dining area" is right next to the front door, and the large table became a catch-all for mail and papers and school stuff. It was awful. The wee island I bought has also become a catch-all, but at least it's a smaller catch-all.

We have a 1,400-sq. ft., three-floor townhome. We try to keep the main floor - living room/kitchen - clean in case of pop-ins. Upstairs with the two bedrooms, and the downstairs den? HAHAHAHA!

I would LOVE to get the iRobot Roomba... but with three floors and the chance of creating a dog-poop spiral with it, it's not worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaideux View Post
    ... And I started putting my foot down and refusing to allow visitors into our last apartment if it wasn't clean enough.
    While I understand where you're coming from, please to learn from us and our late dear friend, Luther Ward.

Luther was a precious, kind, sweet, gentle man. Could tell you stories and make you laugh so hard you need a change of undies. He was the man who told Mr. ChocoMare when we were dating "Dude, if you don't marry her, you're an idiot."

He, like you, was fastidious about his home & it's care / cleaning. Despite having three teenage girls, their home was spotless, neat & tidy. Leftover from Luther's days in the military.

One Saturday I was in our kitchen cooking and Luther came to my mind. I realized we hadn't heard from him in a while, so I said "Honey, call Luther. Something's up."

He called and they chatted briefly. Mr. ChocoMare covered the phone & whispered to me that Luther was down with a bad back and bedridden. I got on the other line and said we'd love to bring him dinner & visit. "No, no, no" he says, "The house is a wreck & the girls haven't been helping. No, I'll be fine in a week and we'll get together."

Two weeks go by and, once again, Luther pops in my mind. We call him again and he's still down with his back, still saying we can't come visit cuz "the house is a wreck." I said "Luther, for cryin' out loud, I'll clean for you!" He chuckles and says "No, I'll be fine."

Two days later we got a call from his mother. Luther wasn't fine. He was dead. You see, it wasn't his back. It was undiagnosed/ignored diverticulitis that he'd had for years and never treated. His bowels perforated and he went septic.

We were heartbroken. We had the opportunity to visit with our dear friend, to share a meal, a hug and some fellowship but couldn't -- All because his house was "a wreck."

From that day on, I vowed: NEVER would the state of my home ever keep me from inviting someone in. They come to see US, not our home. And if they judge me by my home's status, then they're not real friends anway. Life's way too short to miss out on someone you love just because of dishes in the sink or crumbs on the rug.

So as my wise mother would say: "Smart people learn from their mistakes. Wise people learn from the mistakes of others."

Screw the cleanliness... invite those friends over
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I clean if things start to get really dirty/gross, or if someone is coming over. That's pretty much it. I try to keep things in some semblance of order, since it may be my parents calling to say they want to come by in an hour. Time for a quick clean! But sometimes dishes sit in the sink until it is full, I don't vacuum unless I actually see dirt on the carpet, and I very very rarely dust. It's just me and the cat, and it's all our dirt, so I live with it.
    I think we may be long lost twins! This is me exactly - right down to the cat.

My mother is a neat freak and she just looks sadly at the way I "clean".

Wow, Choco. That is quite a story. I gave it a thumbs up and I haven't really been doing the thumbs up/down thing.

You're right, it shouldn't matter per se, but I can understand not wanting people in my home if it's not to my standards. Your story makes a good point though.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    But, our house is small. Whenever I see a gorgeous big old house my first thought is "how long would it take to clean that thing?!?"
    I think we might be twins.

My house is small and it's just my 8yo son and myself, with our 4 cats and dog (horse is boarded). I spend around 10-15 minutes after dinner putting things away, going through mail, etc. I clean up after meals, etc but save the vacuuming and bathroom for Sunday afternoons.

One tip I picked up somewhere (might have been Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) was to keep those tubs of Clorox and Windex wipes (I use the multi-surface ones) in your bathroom. When you're done getting ready for the day, swipe them all over and you're done - takes 15 to 30 seconds. I also have an extra shower poof hanging in the shower, when I take a shower, I also lather that one up and clean the shower. When I'm done with a shower, I have a spray bottle with half bleach/half water and I spray it down.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels stressed and anxious about clutter! I was starting to think I had a little OCD! (Well, maybe we do!) I have to spend about 1/2 hour each day cleaning and straightening, or else I simply cannot relax. I vacuum pretty much daily, and I have all hardwood floors, with a couple area rugs, so vacuuming for me usually means using the little brush attachment on my dyson and running it around. My husband thinks I'm a lunatic, but I found trying to use the bare floor setting only scratches my dark floors.

But he's also the type to open up some mail, and simply leave the empty envelope on the counter! Drives me crazy I tell you! Can't you throw that out?!? Since he leaves after I do in the AM, I usually spend the 1st half hour I'm home from work picking up after him and doing a quick clean of something.

Our house is always some form of neat.

My dad works 60+hrs a week, and my mom works about 30 hrs a week, as well as running the house. 2 teenage girls and a dog.

Every night, the counters and sink are clear, dishwasher loaded. The majority of everyone's things are back in proper rooms.

My sister and I have unpaid chores that we do every week. Swiffer and sweep 1/2 house each, clean a toilet and sink, clean room (dust, windex, vacuum), fold 1/2 laundry each and put away, and are expected to keep our rooms tidy the rest of the week, make our beds, etc as well as unload the dishwasher and other odds and ends.

Every other week, someone comes in for about 8 hrs to deep clean bathrooms, wipe down appliances, do hardwood floors, change sheets, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by maigenesis View Post
    Our house is always some form of neat.

My dad works 60+hrs a week, and my mom works about 30 hrs a week, as well as running the house. 2 teenage girls and a dog.

Every night, the counters and sink are clear, dishwasher loaded. The majority of everyone's things are back in proper rooms.

My sister and I have unpaid chores that we do every week. Swiffer and sweep 1/2 house each, clean a toilet and sink, clean room (dust, windex, vacuum), fold 1/2 laundry each and put away, and are expected to keep our rooms tidy the rest of the week, make our beds, etc as well as unload the dishwasher and other odds and ends.

Every other week, someone comes in for about 8 hrs to deep clean bathrooms, wipe down appliances, do hardwood floors, change sheets, and more.
    Holy Moly, you must have one of those huge houses!!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Now this might be a bit off topic, so if I should start another post, please let me know and I will... So, what is the going hourly rate for someone to come to your place to clean your house?

I don't know about hourly rate, but the few times we've had a service come in to clean, it was $80 for a 1,400-sq.-foot, 2-bedroom, 2.5 bath, 3-level townhouse.

The hourly rate depends on location, how much they have to do, and if they work for a cleaning or maid service.

I have a spotless house, because I've had three mice in two weeks, so everything is up or gone, and so clean you could eat off the floor.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Two of my favorite signs:

"If you want to see me, come on in! If you want to see my house, give me two weeks!"

and

"Make yourself at home! Start washing the dishes!"

--Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygrace View Post
    I am right with you. What I find helpful is what I learned from Fly Lady .com. Set the timer for 15 min, do one task. It whips by and you feel like you've done something. A couple of thigs you do everynight, like make the kitchen sink clean and empty. Little steps that add up.

Look at her website for ideas. made a difference for me.
    That 15 minute thing is golden, I'll admit it has helped me!

But it makes my blood boil to hear that site advising women to stop bugging their spouses and children to help with housework. To me, it's like telling women, "just be content with your wage inequity, shut up about it and all will be well!"

I do see part of the problem with housecleaning is that there is seldom more than one person per household who is really engaging any amount of time in it. And that person, statistically, is the adult female of the house. I don't think it's fair, or right, if both adults are working full time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    From that day on, I vowed: NEVER would the state of my home ever keep me from inviting someone in. They come to see US, not our home. And if they judge me by my home's status, then they're not real friends anway. Life's way too short to miss out on someone you love just because of dishes in the sink or crumbs on the rug.

So as my wise mother would say: "Smart people learn from their mistakes. Wise people learn from the mistakes of others."

Screw the cleanliness... invite those friends over
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!
    That is one thing about my husband (and, actually, previous partners) I love. I would never, ever let my cleaning get in the way of my life (no danger of that, of course!) I do remember a male friend of mine who had a habit of popping by and I would scurry into the dance of the bumblebee to tidy up for him. he looked at me and said, what are you doing? I came to see YOU now quit that and sit down!"

Choco, you are so right on! I have a family member who loves seeing "the little vacuum tracks in the carpet" so probably vacuums multiple time a day!!

NOT THIS KID!!!! (and really, what outfit is NOT improved by a little orange/tiger stripey cat hair? Or black/sorrel and white horse hair? Seriously!! )

My office is not immaculate either! I wear my hunting wool pants to see clients and they have NEVER complained; in fact, they ask me where I got them!!!

I am so sorry about your friend

I live in a large loft above an auto shop of my BFs. Its large, but honestly its not like a house. I have 3 dogs (between 30 and 90 pounds) and I sweep/vaccum every day or every other day to keep the hair/dust down. I dust twice a week and wipe my counter every day. I just try to keep up with stuff.

The bathroom is down stairs in the office and I mop once a week and clean the shower/toilet/sink every week. The office gets vaccumed once a week.

The shop gets cleaned when the BF gets around to it. He does auto upholstery and restorations so it can get messy with fabric, parts, and paint. I tried cleaning up once and he got pissy because I didnt put things back right. I leave him to that.

I hate cleaning, but I hate living in dirty places. I grew up with a housekeeper that came twice a week and a home that could house ten and honestly had maybe two people in it most of the year. I hated it so when I was looking for a home, I bought a warehouse with the boyfriend and buillt a loft. Best decision and works for me.

If I clean a bit each day then its not such a huge effort.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.