The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Nope!
    We both work full time. I have 3 horses, 4 outdoor cats, 2 indoor cats and two indoor dogs that shed.
    We tend to vacuum every other day.
    Cat box daily or every other day.
    Dishes in dishwasher and wipe up kitchen daily. Laundry is the biggest deal. We was hand dry a ton, but seem to never actually fold and put away. We just pluck what we need from dryer or basket.
    We don't have company. Really, pretty much never. We both prefer to relax after feeding animals and getting dinner. Really, about two hours between finishing chores and going to bed.
    How is this 'not' a clean house? LOL

We always have a basket or two of clean laundry in the MBR floor. That doesn't mean the house isn't clean. It just means we're doing stuff more important (to us) than hanging up shirts.

We hit the house hard about every Saturday AM, for about 90 minutes- that gets the main floor clean and done ( about 1800 SF). I never go upstairs, LOL so who cares how messy it is (spare bedroom and DH's office).

Seriously- that IS clean- why not?

1 members found this post helpful.

Anyone can keep their house clean with minimal personal or team effort if it starts out that way, there are no distractions and there are no catastrophes. (Add kids, all bets are off.)

But the devil is in the distractions and catastrophes, and may the gods help you if your SO has a major distraction [euphemism: think the British saying "tired and emotional" though why I keep being polite after this long still eludes me, but maybe strangers are different than people who actually know those in a family.]

But it's like folks who live from paycheck to paycheck. (Not putting that down; been there, done that with all the attendant anxiety.) Miss more than a couple paychecks and suddenly everything goes to hell.

I was amused by HopeandJoy's comment and Karosel's comment, because my recent godsend cleaner's SO e-mailed me saying that the only reason their house don't sink under the waves is because the SO does what the spouse does for pay everywhere else. Reminds me of a personal story from teen years, the only time I ever "ran away from home" and, if I had it to do over again, I'd do again.

Anyway, following up, there are people who for a reasonable price will gradually restore whatever had degenerated. Just glad that I could afford to write the checks to hire them since I have some life distractions that have undermined me for more than a year.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

It's just impossible here. My fiancé likes to say "I'll get around to it" when I ask him to lift a precious finger!! We have too much stuff (he does!) and not enough storage. I bought nice, large dressers, and he just filled them with more stuff! I can't get ahead of it (him). Guests have to be planned a week or two in advance so we can manage it without exhausting ourselves. I did get it clean - really clean - when he was away for 3 weeks. Then the Tasmanian devil came home... I'm tired of doing it all alone!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I am right with you. What I find helpful is what I learned from Fly Lady .com. Set the timer for 15 min, do one task. It whips by and you feel like you've done something. A couple of thigs you do everynight, like make the kitchen sink clean and empty. Little steps that add up.

Look at her website for ideas. made a difference for me.

I clean if things start to get really dirty/gross, or if someone is coming over. That's pretty much it. I try to keep things in some semblance of order, since it may be my parents calling to say they want to come by in an hour. Time for a quick clean! But sometimes dishes sit in the sink until it is full, I don't vacuum unless I actually see dirt on the carpet, and I very very rarely dust. It's just me and the cat, and it's all our dirt, so I live with it.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, and my house is still a mess. Generally I take care of my son, then the critters, then the barn and pasture, then the yard/garden, then the vehicles. And if I have any energy leftover, I'll clean. But I have some health problems, so I don't really have that much energy, so most of the time getting the dishes done is about as far as I get :P After clearing brush off the electric fence today, I was pooped.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

My house is huge and I can't find a place to put almost anything! Go figure. I also have my entire DR and FR filled with horse stuff. I can't keep it in the garage because the mice who come in might ruin the stuff. In my defense, I have 14 horses; 12 of them are at my home and I don't have a tack room. I keep saddles (3) in my trailer. Other saddles are in house. Maybe 20 bridles in house, halters (extras). FR has more than 50 blankets and sheets in big plastic containers stacked up. I have two cats and my son has a dog. My third cat died earlier this year and ruined the white wool carpets in the LR in the last month before her life and I can't get them clean. Have already bought the hardwood flooring to replace them so not caring. I cook, keep the kitchen pretty clean (I'm deficient in floor scrubbing but the counters are clean) but things are kind of a jumble. We have too much furniture and keep inheriting more and we haven't figured out what to do with it all. My truck is clean but my MBZ is dirty. The LQ on my big trailer is pristine. My barn is neat. Stalls are cleaned with fresh shavings daily. Guess you know priorities! I need a bigger barn and a HUGE tack room. I just broke my new $1500 european washer too by putting too much stuff with horse hair in it. Only 1.5 years old. Got it fixed.....husband says to hose the stuff off outside...NOT - I wash boots and pads after every use on every horse. I do 5 - 6 loads of laundry every day between son, husband, myself and horses.
    Last edited by equusaround; Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

My house is always clean but not Clean. I stay at home and dd gladly helps out and we have only a moderate amount if clutter so its pretty easy to stay on top of things.

I have a relatively small apartment and not much "stuff", so it's nearly always tidy. I hate clutter and everything has its proper place, and I don't collect knick-knacky things.
    The kitchen and the washroom I use are cleaned regularly (why do 2-bedrooms even need 2 baths anyway? I have to remember to run the water and flush that toilet every once in a while and that is annoying).

The rest is...well, tidy When I have guests over I'll run the vacuum and dust, and twice a year I hire some enterprising students to do a "deep clean" it may or may not need.
    Last edited by Coanteen; Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: tidy /= tiny

LOL I think I love your mom!! I'm sure as he** not boring then!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Nope. When I die no one will ever say, "but she had a clean house". Waay too much fun to be had riding hiking being outside (and of course working). Husband even worse than me so, we cut corners (whitewear!) clean when we have to (sweats) but are happy being sanitary (no dirty dishes) but sloppy (papers). My mom told me "dull women have immaculate homes" (have that as a sticker) and I take it to heart!!

By whose standards?

By my ex-husband's standards, this house is super neat and clean. By my mother's standards, not so much

But, kitchen picked up, dishes done, stay on top of laundry, make bed, dust and do floors/clean bathroom etc. once a week or sometimes the floors go two weeks

I function much better when it is some semblance of clean and sort of neat.

But, piles of paper? You betcha! Current DH has piles and piles of paper, and I cannot throw them out -- so we have a deal -- he has it corralled to one area, and I leave it alone. Works for me!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Our last house was always messy-I let the messy DH, young kids, small house, clutter, no money, and all the excuses excuse it-it got away from me and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get ahead and stay ahead of it. I hated it, never wanted people over, it made me depressed and not think clearly and the constant obligation of having to try to get the house clean stopped me from doing a lot of other things. I had no help from others in the family.

Then we moved.

I refuse to let this house get like that. I am extremely uncomfortable in a messy and/or dirty house. This one falls a bit behind sometimes, like this past week, but I won't let it go. I put everything in boxes and store it if I have too much clutter going on with the kids/dh/laundry. I only unpacked what we needed to have out here and I throw things out mercilessly. If they leave things laying around I box them up (I bring home boxes from work specifically for this purpose) and I put their crap back in storage! lol This house is generally clean and tidy in anyone's book. The kids' rooms need work as usual but the rest of it is pretty good, especially after a long day of catch-up on it yesterday.

I work full-time, have six inside cats, five dogs, parakeets, two teenagers, a DH, eight horses, two cows, two goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, yadda yadda.... I don't let any of it stop me.

It's sorta like keeping the fuel tank in the car full. It's as easy to keep the top half full as the bottom half. I clean when there is only so much that needs done instead of having to do the huge overwhelming job.

My husband is actually really good about cleaning, laundry, etc. Really good.

But he has two teenage daughters.

When I first met him a few years ago, I was actually quite impressed at the condition of the house. When I moved in, I was appalled. The man was working full time, getting kids to and from whatever, cleaning up after them, doing their laundry, and staying up til about 1am each night to do it!

Then each weekend he'd do the major cleaning while they watched TV.

Most nights when I got home, I had to clear a counter of book bags, shoes(yes shoes on the counter) wrappers, dishes, etc before I could make dinner. And that was after a 10 hour day! Then on the weekends the kids were with mom, we spent all that time doing the deep cleaning.

Screw that!

One weekend morning when they were off doing something, I grabbed note cards.

I divided the notecards into "chores" and "responsibilities" Later, when I explained this system, I told the kids that responsibilities were things they had to do for themselves. Keeping their rooms picked up, doing their homework, picking up after themselves in the kitchen. THey didn't get credit for this, only points taken away if it wasn't done. Chores were things that had to be done and were worth points. At the end of the week, whomever had the most points got to choose "Sunday Dinner". (I do a big Sunday dinner, it's something we do...)

In the chores group, each note card had on one side the name of the chore "Blue Bathroom", "Living Room", etc and the amount of time it should take and points it was worth. On the back side was a list of what constituted cleaning that space, step by step. For the bathroom for example, it listed "use purple stuff to wipe down counter tops, shower, and toilet. use windex on mirror. Sweep floor. Empty Trash."

Responsibilities were things like "after school kitchen" and "bedrooms". AGain, I listed the expectations.

Deal was, each week, they had to divide the chores. There were also bonus chores like walking the dog, picking up dog poo in the yard, cleaning the fridge. Each week they were expected to take care of their responsibilities by 6pm. When they did a chore and thought they were done, they had to get it checked by one of us. If it wasn't done right the first time, they had to fix it and lost all their points.

Worked well although it took some extra work on our part to show them how to do things. I kid you not, SD then 12 didn't even know how to use a BROOM!!!!. And I also got them doing their own laundry. There is no good reason Dad or I should be up til 1am washing something for the next day that isn't for US...not when the kids are teens.

You might try something like that. Everyone in the house is on the same team. A team doesn't let 1/2 the people do 100% of the work. Not fair.

Since implementing that system, the kids asked to just drop the points and do the chores. Now we have more time to play and have a cleaner home!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

I can't relax in a messy house. We clean twice a week (dusting, vacuuming, wiping down surfaces, mopping), SO scrubs the bathrooms weekly and handles sheets and towel laundry, and then I do a full on "selling the house" scrub down once a month.
    Everyone's stuff gets put away every day so that I don't go batty.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    So... do you think that using a Swiffer instead of the vacuume is cheating? Please help reduce my guilt....
    The number one thing I learned from Fly Lady is any little effort is fine.

My house would be immaculate if I just spent 15 minutes a day doing little things. Still it can slide into disorder by the end of the week. So Sat morning I spend 10 minutes cleaning the bathroom and then quit even if I'm not done. Maybe Sat evening I address the kitchen floor for ten minutes that the dogs have busily destroyed the past few days. Sunday morning maybe I sweep the living room and run a load of laundry.

Allowing myself to just do these little, imperfect efforts means the house is far cleaner than if I were waiting to "do it right." Would the kitchen floor be cleaner if I scrubbed it on my hands and knees? No because I would never actually do it. It can be thankful it gets a little swiffering and get over itself.

When I first moved in I was crazy and cleaned all the time. Now it gets slightly behind sometimes but with the little imperfect efforts it gets back on track. As long as everything gets cleaned at least once a week it will never slide past "slightly disheveled." Good enough for me.

I live in one of those big houses that's impossible to clean in one day. We were fortunate enough to get a great deal on it and I love it - the space came in handy when my dad had to live with us before he died. And we have a TON of land which is unheard of in our suburban area.

That being said, I can't keep it clean myself. So I am fortunate enough to have someone come in every other week to clean the main floor( kitchen, 1/2 bath, etc), our master bedroom and vacuum the basement. The rest of the house doesn't really get used that much - the other guest rooms and bathrooms. But I can manage to swipe at those myself about once a month. And if I do have a guest, I get the cleaners to run through the guest room and bath for an extra $20. It's totally worth it to me. Especially since we have all this land, in the Spring and Summer, it's a 3 hour gig to do the lawn properly - with both me and DH working on it.

I don't have a horse, but I do agility with my dog and that takes up a lot of my time.

No, it's not what I would prefer, but it's ok and we can live with it. We're not slobs, but not neat-freaks either.

We both work at the same company, so are out the door at 06:50 and get to the barn between 5:30 and 7pm, Mon - Fri. Then head home to eat dinner, chill, shower & head to bed.

Saturdays usually see me out the door at 08:00 to trim horses (have 12 clients now), cram in grocery shopping, etc. etc. Hubby does all the laundry (God bless him!) and will vacuum when I remind him. He cleans the cat boxes almost daily.

Sunday is church and time off to rest!

We spot clean here and there during the week, but I just don't have the time or energy to deep clean. So like today: there are two ladies at my house right now doing it for me. It was worth the $$$$! Then I have one of them come back every other week and we're happy.

Life's too short!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    It's just impossible here. My fiancé likes to say "I'll get around to it" when I ask him to lift a precious finger!! We have too much stuff (he does!) and not enough storage. I bought nice, large dressers, and he just filled them with more stuff! I can't get ahead of it (him). Guests have to be planned a week or two in advance so we can manage it without exhausting ourselves. I did get it clean - really clean - when he was away for 3 weeks. Then the Tasmanian devil came home... I'm tired of doing it all alone!!!
    Honestly, this is enough reason to not marry him . If you're tired of doing it all alone now, what are you going to feel like after 10 years of the same thing? Just more fed up and resentful.

My own house is not very clean. The kitchen/dishes get done every day, and we're pretty good at keeping on top of laundry. The rest, not so great. I had everything under control at my last house, but since moving a year ago, and doing renovations, etc, things aren't all "in their places" yet.

An immaculate house is the sign of a wasted life.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    So... do you think that using a Swiffer instead of the vacuume is cheating? Please help reduce my guilt....
    The swiffer has it's place. I use the duster for shelves and fan blades, and the floor duster for under the sofa, and back into corners. But my most useful tool is the hose vac with the brush attachment (I have an ancient Rainbow). I even do the "dusting" with it, then follow up with some polish on pieces that really need that extra shine.
    The lambswool duster with the handle extention is also pretty useful for walls and high corners... and the backs of dresser etc.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Quote Originally Posted by DarkenStormy View Post
    I live in one of those big houses that's impossible to clean in one day. We were fortunate enough to get a great deal on it and I love it - the space came in handy when my dad had to live with us before he died. And we have a TON of land which is unheard of in our suburban area.

That being said, I can't keep it clean myself. So I am fortunate enough to have someone come in every other week to clean the main floor( kitchen, 1/2 bath, etc), our master bedroom and vacuum the basement. The rest of the house doesn't really get used that much - the other guest rooms and bathrooms. But I can manage to swipe at those myself about once a month. And if I do have a guest, I get the cleaners to run through the guest room and bath for an extra $20. It's totally worth it to me. Especially since we have all this land, in the Spring and Summer, it's a 3 hour gig to do the lawn properly - with both me and DH working on it.

I don't have a horse, but I do agility with my dog and that takes up a lot of my time.
    Big house person here also. It was great with the 3 kids and my mother though...one bathroom per kid! I have a cleaner come in every other week, she does the heavy scrubbing and I maintain it between times, making SURE stuff is put away before she gets here, otherwise she tends to "hide" things.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.