The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have a tripod kitty?

My lovely little cat, Stubby (a manx) got into some trouble the night before the hurricane, and came home with a severe limp. Took him to the vet, spiral fracture, tibia and fibula. They recommended sending him for surgery, but the place they recommended was over an hour away, and right in the eye of the hurricane. So I opted to have it cast, and we hoped it might heal. Well, after a week, he wasn't attempting to walk on it, because they had to straighten in to stabilize it. So we decided to amputate (the surgery option would have run me in the 3k catagory or more, with weeks of recovery)

So, today my Stubby butt became a Stumpy leg. He is home now, and resting somewhat quietly. Rolling around a little, crying sometimes, but otherwise, I think he's still a bit groggy.

Just looking for some encouragement. I feel awful we had to amputate, but I have been assured he will be good as new.

My parents have one; her leg was amputated after she was shot by the neighbors' kid (whose parents refuse to believe he did it, another story entirely) a few years ago, and she does everything she did before the surgery. She runs around, plays, and is able to jump on the bed and the kitchen counter (nevermind that she's not supposed to be on the counter). IIRC (I don't live with my parents), she was sore for a week or so, and it took her a while to relearn how to do things, but by the time the incisions were healed and the fur growing over them, she was pretty much back to normal.

My mom has one (due to sarcoma) and he has adjusted very well. He is a happy cat and still pretty agile for a 3 legged cat.

No experience with tripods but jingles and purrs for Stubby/Stumpy. Hope you have plenty of Metacam or other pain meds for him while he heals.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Well, they say they heal quickly but WOW! He was up, hopping through the house, and used the litter box this AM! Here he was appearing immobile, and my DD was sitting with him while I grabbed something from another room, and the next thing I hear is "Mommy! Mommy!" and he was walking/hopping through the living room!

He'll be good as new in no time! He is on buprenex, which, I found he gets a bit manic in larger doses, but he seems ok on .1mg every 8 hrs. He really does not seem to be in much pain!

He's spending the next few days at my parents, because I have to be at work, and he needs to be confined to a dog crate, which does not fit in my car. So we felt it was just easier to keep him there than trek him back and forth from eachother's houses. They're retired, home all day, and they use the same vet, so this is much better for all involved!

Good to hear!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I've had two. My old Gimpy cat. I worked at a vets office, he was brought in days after her got hit by a car. His leg had no chance, his owners didn't want a 3 legged cat. He was 6 months old :-( With owner's permission, surgery was done and I had new kitty. NOTHING stopped that cat. He beat up neighbor's cats...attacked a man who was helping to carry a truck cap thru the yard lol. He had to be put to sleep at 14 years old because of other issues. I now have Stewie. He was a little over a year when he came home shot, bleeding profusely from his leg and side of his face...rushed to the vets...did the surgeries...he's fine and just as tough as old Gimp was. Your cat will have no issues I'd bet..
    Kerri

I had one (he was SOOOO vocal it made me nuts...so he now lives like a king with a deaf old lady! )

I actually stole him (I know, I know...slap my wrist) from a friend of a friend's house who had FAR too many animals and wasn't taking care of them all. I took him and called SPCA.

Anyway, they said he was born that way but according to my vet, someone tied an elastic or string around his leg and that is how he became a tripod (his name was tripod how very original...I named him Dennis (aka Dennis the menace)

After we got rid of the infection in his stump, the little bugger didn't let it stop him! He fought (and occasionally won!) against the 110lb Rottweiler, he would race around the house like he had 10 legs not 3, he'd sneak up on visitors and jump on their heads/bite a foot or a claw a hand.

After having him a few months (with his odd, gangly little walk) I always thought other cats moved funny! I adored that little freak...Nothing could stop him

Apparently he's driving my mom nuts, she called and said she can't get anything done! haha

He is also a very vocal cat, which is what got him in trouble in the first place. He was whining at 3 am to go out (his usual routine) and in my sleepiness, I just did, without thinking about how the storm was rolling in.

A friend of mine has one. She was worried about how how would adjust. He's doing marvelously well. We also had one at the cat shelter where I volunteer. He did great and was so feisty that he was beating up on the other cats!

I do, adopted him from the barn semi-feral litter, as far as we can tell he was born that way as he has a little stump with a bit of a claw on it. He does everything my other cats can do and is plump and happy. His name is Stumpy (I know very original). On the other hand I also have a cat that was born at the same time same barn pop. with a cerebral hypoplasia (sp?) and is brain damaged with a severe balance issue. She too has adjusted and has a ton of character. Her name is Upside Down Cat

Me too. I was asked to take Petals from Sunkissed Acres, since the owner's english bull dog wanted to eat her! She's been a tripod since 3 months old (hernia had grown into the joint of her left rear leg - total removal).

She's a pistol. If she had 4 legs, she'd be a holy terror!

She only misses it for scratching her left ear, but that's what humans are for
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

haha! Choco, that's funny.

Stubby Stumpleg is doing well! Still relaxing at my parents' place, and he'll come home tomorrow night, so we're home all weekend to watch him. He's been wearing a cone so he doesn't lick the wounds, but my mom cut it down so its not as cumbersome.

Apparently he's being a total lap whore (typical of him) and then when he's had enough, he hops into the crate and sleeps. I'm glad he's finding sanctuary.

Might need to get him one of those hooded cat beds, since he seems to like the crate.

1 members found this post helpful.

So are my parents the only ones who just went ahead and named him Tripod?

He's a gray tiger cat, and showed up with a bite wound. The vet (yes, our TV vet) said the infection had gone into the bone, and we could either try treating it, or just amputate the leg before it spreads. So they took his left front off. He had to spend two weeks living in the mud room (my mother's allergic, so even my house cats have to stay out there if they're visiting), living in a cage, getting his 'walk therapy' every day to build up strength. He's back out in the barn and actually, since the next-oldest male died he's managed to more or less become Top Cat. He's surprisingly good at punching things with only one front leg.

My friend Laurie has a tripod cat named Christopher, whom her husband found at his work after someone dumped him. The kitten had gotten his right leg mangled beyond repair (they were a machine shop on a busy road, so who knows what happened before the guys found him and Laurie's hubby took him home) so he's missing his right front. We've often theorized about strapping them together so they become the two-headed, six-legged wonder cat, but that would probably be a bad thing for the world at large....

I have a tripod kitty. She is missing most of her hind leg. I found her and her and her brother with their mom shortly after they were born. I think she was born that way. Her name is Scooter because she sort of scoots along when she walks. However, she can run fast and climb fences. The only thing she can't do is jump up on things like my bed. She can however, claw her way up and that's just fine with me.

She is a feisty one and is definitely the boss cat in my house!

OP, I'm glad to hear your kitty is adapting just fine to his new normal.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

One of my friends had a cat that was mauled by a dog and lost her tail and one hind leg as a result. Once she healed, it is did not slow her down AT ALL. She still went outside every day (although she stuck closer to the house), hunted, "fed" her family, and lived to be 16.

My friend has a cat that was born with only part of a hind leg - the cat is actually named Tripod - and she's got a mostly normal kitty life. Your cat can definitely have a good, quality life on three legs. Sorry you had to go through that, but good luck to both you and the cat.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I have one, and her name is......Tripod (hubby named her LOL). She was found in a barn w/a mangled LF. Bones sticking out and the leg pretty much desiccated. Guy would not pay to get her put down, so I offered to do it. At the vet, she came out of the carrier purring her head off and giving kitty kisses to everyone. No way I was going to put her down. No raging infection, which is what saved her. Oh and she's a polydactyl too!
    So years later I have a very affectionate black lap cat, who talks too much :-), and loves people.
    BTW she also had a frozen off ear tip, a broken fang, and the tip of her tail was broken/bent (which a few weeks later died and just...fell off--gross LOL)
    I also have a Manx, who has seal syndrome (back legs are put on backwards). And a senior cat who's mostly deaf and senile.
    I've had a cat w/diabetes and another w/vestibular disease.
    My Secret Santa says my cats are queer LOL
    Cats are wonderful, no??? :-)

When I found my girl she was in sad shape....skin and bones with her hind leg hanging limp. I was worried when the vet said she'd lose the leg - but it hasn't bothered her one bit!! To see her tear around the house you'd never know she was on three legs!

The only thing she has trouble with is jumping up onto things. Without 2 legs behind for power she kind of just throws herself at stuff and then drags herself up with her front claws. LOL