The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it still appropriate to send a simple thank you card after a job interview?

I had an interview today at a Medical Laboratory which went well, but there were a lot of others being interviewed.

Is it still appropriate to send a follow up thank you card? DH says it is no longer done, but I have no idea.

Opinions? Thanks!
    Last edited by Huntertwo; Nov. 5, 2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error

This is a MUST, though it can be a card or email. And get it out promptly before they decide!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

It is always appropriate to send upbeat thanks without probling. (They know how to get in touch.)

Whether in this rotten environment it makes any material difference, who can say.

But in my experience as senior corporate management, provided the followup was not overdone, it would always have counted for something with me in the clinical diagnostics industry. It might not have gotten you the job if there were a moire attractive candidate for the specific need, but it probably would have ensured that you were at least informed graciously as to the outcome of the hiring process for that particular slot.

When you don't get a particular job, knowing why in a non-formulaic way is extremely valuable to future employment explorations.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

I never sent a thank-you card but I did always send a formal follow-up business letter thanking the employer for the interview and addressing any points that came up in the interview that I might wish to follow up on. And I would definitely still do that.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Yes. A brief thank you note, and if you can, mention something specific, like maybe something you talked about, like maybe a protocol or something they do in which you have specific experience (I don't know about medical labs, so don't know the kind of thing). It may make you stand out from the crowd if they have a couple candidates with equal qualifications. And if you don't hear anything in a week or so, a follow-up phone call or email to your interviewer isn't amiss.

Good luck! I hope you get the job.

I am currently in grad school and we are told that thank you letters are a must.

My daughter got her job at a university after grad school a year ago and was told it was the thank you note that made her stand out. She eventually got the second interview and job offer.

Yes! Manner are becoming a lost art. This also gives the prospective employer another reason to "think" about you, in a positive manner.

Sort of related- I went on a "private" trail ride this summer hosted by a retired gentleman, who went to the trouble to get permission from 14 different landowners and then spend years clearing trails to ride. He maintains these trails with the help of others once in a while, but has really poured his heart and soul into this project. I was invited to attend by a friend and it was some of the most challenging and best terrain I have ever ridden. I wrote a thank you note and mailed it the same day and expressed my thanks for this man's hard work and generosity in sharing it.

Well, I ran into him at another ride later in the summer and damned if he doesn't run to his truck and pull out my thank you note with tears in his eyes. He couldn't believe I took the time to write it and it made his year and he was showing it to everyone he knew. All it took was a few simple sentences and a stamp to make this man feel good and it taught me a very important lesson!

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I did buy a simple card on the way home, but DH said it is no longer done.

Knowing it was OT Day, I quickly posted the question and knew COTH would give me the correct advice...

Cutter99,
    What a great story. It's true what a small token of thanks can do for a person. You really made his day!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I would send an email, but I think a card shows you will go the extra mile! Good manners are never a bad thing.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I too, would send an email, if you have been communicating through email.

A card would be fantastic, but I wouldn't like the turn around time on the post. If they were interviewing several people and making a decision soon, an email would be the quickest way to put it back into their hands and let them know not only that you thank them for the interview, but also that you continue to be interested in the position.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I never sent a thank-you card but I did always send a formal follow-up business letter thanking the employer for the interview and addressing any points that came up in the interview that I might wish to follow up on. And I would definitely still do that.
    THIS. Send a formal letter, thank them for the time they took with you. Mention everyone you interviewed with by name, re-emphasize that you are interested in the job and why. Make any points that you didn't get to in the interview. Very, very, very important. A card will not do. I have received offers on several jobs over the years for just this reason...I was the only candidate who followed through and made it crystal clear that I wanted the job, that I understood their business needs and that I had some plans for how to I could meet them. I've even sent samples of some relevant work along with the thank you letter, that, for sure, got me one job that there was a lot of competition for.

My favorite job-related blog, Ask a Manager, says don't send a thank you, send a follow up note. They obviously wanted to meet you, no need to thank them for bringing you in.

In the follow-up note, mention specifics about the interview to show that you were really paying attention. Something that they said, or something that resonated with you about the culture, the nature of the work, the position itself, etc.

Here is Ask a Manager's tags on thank you/follow-up notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    THIS. Send a formal letter, thank them for the time they took with you. Mention everyone you interviewed with by name, re-emphasize that you are interested in the job and why. Make any points that you didn't get to in the interview. Very, very, very important. A card will not do. I have received offers on several jobs over the years for just this reason...I was the only candidate who followed through and made it crystal clear that I wanted the job, that I understood their business needs and that I had some plans for how to I could meet them. I've even sent samples of some relevant work along with the thank you letter, that, for sure, got me one job that there was a lot of competition for.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    My favorite job-related blog, Ask a Manager, says don't send a thank you, send a follow up note. They obviously wanted to meet you, no need to thank them for bringing you in.

In the follow-up note, mention specifics about the interview to show that you were really paying attention. Something that they said, or something that resonated with you about the culture, the nature of the work, the position itself, etc.

Here is Ask a Manager's tags on thank you/follow-up notes.
    Thank you for the link. I'll store that in my favorites.

When you say a follow up note - Handwritten or a note printed off my printer? Unfortunately, I do not have her email address.

The company is only one town north of me, so I can get it out tomorrow and it should be received before the end of the week.

Printed. It's a business letter.

Yep, typed, it is a business letter, totally different than a thank you note for a personal gift or invitation (which should be handwritten, if possible).

A thank you card has made the difference for me in past hiring decisions. When I had two candidates with similar strengths, the one who took the time to send a note or follow up letter got the nod.

I tend to type a letter rather than send a note because I have the penmanship of an 8th grader with Parkinsons - really it's not good.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Thank you card all the way! Always have, always will, and it has been the reason I've gotten a job/internship multiple times.

(My mom has been a huge proponent of this my whole life, so when I finally got a thank you card address to me from a summer intern a few months ago, she said "See? It feels nice." And it's true—it does.)

Simply professional thank you sent right after the interview is a MUST in my field (law).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

It's a professional letter, typed on good paper. If time is short, an email will suffice as well (if you know they are on a tight deadline). Never a hand written TY card, that would be weird. Demonstrate in the letter that you listened to them, by commenting/expanding briefly on some key point they brought up.

good luck