The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb OK, please help me keep my house clean and organized, before this Mama goes crazy!

Right now it is fairly clean, but as soon as my son comes home, and my 22 month old plays with her toys, it once again turns into a disaster. I am NOT an organized person - that was my husband's dept. - and between being a single parents, having a disease that is debilitating some days (Endometriosis) and just going through the grief process has me

SO, any advice? Does anyone know of any good Apps that have a good Keep-My-House-From-Being-a-Hazmat-Project Schedules?

I chose the lightbulb icon for this thread, because I need some lightbulb worthy suggestions - don't let me down my COTH friends!!

Good luck, and it IS difficult. Enlist the older child to help - make it into a game (turn on a timer, and see if he can "beat" it to help you pick stuff up, for example). I tend to deep clean ONE room a day. If I can do that the whole house gets cleaned at least once a week (and now that I have a smaller house with fewer rooms since I'm single that works even better - 4 rooms=MUCH easier)

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

iheartorganizing.blogspot.com great blog full of ideas and especially relatable for parents!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Check out FlyLady.net -- great site for organizing and overwhelmed moms. Following the FlyLady routines saved my sanity when I was raising four kids.

As for your toddler, a great tip is to pack up most of her toys and rotate them into the house. She doesn't need much to stay busy, and rotating the toys will keep them "fresh" to her. We tend to give our kids way to many 'things' and they get overwhelmed by them (us too!)

2 members found this post helpful.

With small tornados...erm, children...a simple thing to try is to go buy some cheap laundry baskets. Have fun and get different colors for each room...bright for the childrens' rooms.
    One for each child's room, one for each room in the most used living areas. (living room, kitchen, etc)
    Just place a basket in each room. You can teach your kids VERY easy that when you call out Baskets!!! they have 5 minutes to run around and grab the toys off their bedroom, living room, kitchen floors/furniture and toss them in that rooms' basket.

You can also use the baskets for just taking a fast walk around each room and toss whatever doesn't belong in that room into a basket.

When you find you have a few minutes, pick a room, grab the basket and spend 10 minutes walking from room to room with that basket putting those things away.

The kids can do the same for their rooms...once or twice a week make a special snack/treat and the kids get theirs when they empty their baskets in their rooms and put stuff away. And yep, they can do that when young.

It won't shampoo carpets, make meals or do laundry...but it is a very simple and cheap solution to declutter the house of Offspring Shrapnel. And usually just cutting down on the House Exploded look is a huge relief. And kids like it too, it's simple and most kids find it fun.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    Check out FlyLady.net -- great site for organizing and overwhelmed moms. Following the FlyLady routines saved my sanity when I was raising four kids.

As for your toddler, a great tip is to pack up most of her toys and rotate them into the house. She doesn't need much to stay busy, and rotating the toys will keep them "fresh" to her. We tend to give our kids way to many 'things' and they get overwhelmed by them (us too!)
    I'll second the vote for Flylady. Her book, Sink Reflections, has helped me a ton. My house is now clean and organized and I usually don's spend more than about 30 minutes per day (15am, 15pm) on cleaning.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

That's a good idea with the baskets - can't seem to train the dog (or worse yet, the cat) to reliably put their toys away. Oh, he'll do it, but then he always gets them back out.

LOL, my GSD puts his toys away. But you have to tell him each toy by name.
    Then he sits next to the toy box staring into it making "hhrrrmmm" noises until he can''t stand it anymore and grabs Squeak Ball Or Wubba.

The older guy, Tuck, just has one toy. Baby. A little yellow stuffed bear he carries around. Which reminds me, Baby needs a bath.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    That's a good idea with the baskets - can't seem to train the dog (or worse yet, the cat) to reliably put their toys away. Oh, he'll do it, but then he always gets them back out.
    or just teach him to fetch them up and you toss 'em in the basket.

I guess I am fortunate that toy clutter never bothered me that much. (Outgrowing toy stores-now that was sad.) I never let them carry food or drink (except water) out of the kitchen/dining area though. Baskets work very well too.

It's a pita in the beginning, but having a place for everything has helped tremendously. Take the time to really look around your house and see what is piling up and where. For us it's toys, books, school stuff, mail and laundry.

I bought a basket for the mail, and now as soon as I carry in the mail it goes straight into the basket until I'm ready to look at it. After I do go through it, all the bills to be paid get tossed back into the basket until I'm ready to pay them. That way we always know where they are.

I have Muck buckets and Tub Trugs for the kids things. I keep a Tubtrug in the living room because kid things tend to migrate out there. Everyone is supposed to put their things up, but we all know that's crap some days. So, I just do a sweep through the living room and pick up pieces (legos!) and books, and random socks that somehow fell off a child and sling them into the tubtrug. I have a large muck bucket (that i never used in the barn ) in their bedroom - whatever they don't get put away I sling into the muck bucket until I have the time and/or inclination to put it in it's proper place or have them do it. If I don't want to look at the bucket I shove it in the closet. I also have a trug in the car for all the bits and pieces that get left in it. It's way less of a hassle to toss pieces in the trug and then carry it into the house on the weekend when I have time.

We bought a short bookshelf for the boys room so they are pretty good about keeping them put up. Although I will admit I am seriously anal about wanting books to be stacked or aligned perfectly, but hey at least they are off the floor. I have a specific tote for Library books and it stays in plain sight. It's helped us to avoid late fees because someone put a book away on their book shelf.

Laundry is my worst thing, but I bought way more laundry baskets then we truly needed. Both of the boys have one, and DH and I have 2. Plus I have 2 extras in the basement by the laundry machine. There's no reason now for things to be thrown on the floor. It still happens, but I get crazy and people pick up their sh*t I also put a table downstairs by the dryer, and NO laundry is allowed back upstairs until it's folded. It goes straight from the dryer to the table and then is folded and goes into a basket to be carried back up. I'm very serious about the No Unfolded Laundry Upstairs rule...because I'm the worst offender at carrying clean unfolded laundry upstairs then putting it down in a bedroom and forgetting about it until days later. This works out much better for me. I also have a trash can beside the table, and as I'm folding I'm checking out the boys clothing for stains, rips, or anything else that makes them no longer wearable and I trash them right then.

I also keep a designated Goodwill box or trash bag between the bedrooms and at the laundry table. As clothes, toys, books, whatever no longer fit they are put into the box or bag. When it's full it goes straight to goodwill.

These things have helped me, but honestly my house is not nearly as neat, clean, and organized as my mother and sister. I just have to keep it livable for us though and not worry about what they are doing.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.