The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't think so, it was several months ago - a craiglist find!

I am sure the orange would mellow some - I am telling you, it was an OLD yet BRAND NEW saddle - not even a stirrup mark!

I really wanted it - but knew it just wouldn't work.

I hope you get the official answer from Kieffer and I'll be interested to hear it. For what it's worth, I had a saddle that looked a lot like this when I was a child in the 60s. I didn't have it long because it was stolen from the barn's tack room during a horse show (childhood trauma - nuff said). BUT it did have a loop strap across in front of the pommel as I recall. I thought it was rather sissy at the time, but the saddle was very cool - I guess the thief thought so too!

I haven't heard back from them just yet - the rep said she had an idea of what she thought it might be from the description, but wanted pictures and a serial number if possible. I forwarded the photos that are on this thread, and will hopefully be able to decipher whatever is left of the serial number when I get home tonight. According to USPS it was delivered at 12:56 today.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Good to know. It looks like my saddle is out on the truck for delivery today, so here's hoping it works out. I've started advertising my Delgrange but the market is so down that I'm afraid I may just end up keeping it.

Do you know, are the older trees adjustable like the newer ones? Looks like there is a saddle shop about an hour north of me that is a Kieffer dealer, I wonder if they can do that kind of work. I'd love to have my dressage saddle widened a bit when his topline fills out more.
    When I took the hintermayer in to have it reflocked, the shop mentioned that it could be widened so I'm inclined to believe it's on the adjustable tree. Not sure when they started making teh adjustable trees, my saddle was made in '90 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I went and looked at two of these saddles recently. Despite being around 40 years old, one was BRAND NEW - flocking still soft, saddle looked like it had never been put on a horse. Here are photos of the two. I decided it wouldn't fit my horse - built more of an narrow TB type back.

Saddle 1

Saddle 2

Both of these were monoflaps (seller had picked them up at a county estate auction!). Nice saddle, just wouldn't work for me (I too had been looking for a Keifer jumping saddle).
    Wow, that second one is neat looking!

Well, with a little tweaking it should work pretty well. It's a little (understatement!) beat up, and it needs billets and probably a good reflocking at least. I did girth it up and sit on him and it seems pretty gosh darn comfortable, so that's a plus. The flaps didn't seem as forward as I expected once on, but that's hard to tell without stirrups anyway.

It only has two billets - not three, like most short billet saddles. What's that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    ...It only has two billets - not three, like most short billet saddles. What's that about?
    It means it's old(er) . Old(er) saddles only had two billets to go with the two girth buckles.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Well....how is it???
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I think it should work, although it will need some tweaking. It doesn't pinch, but I'll need to fill in the dip behind his shoulder for now to keep enough wither clearance. His dressage saddle (Kieffer) is a MN right now and fits well, but I expect he'll grow back into a medium as his topline fills out more. My bum thought it felt pretty comfy, though I'm a little concerned about the flap not being forward enough for me, hard to tell without putting stirrups on it though.

It's beat up, but usable. Kieffers truly last forever!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay! Go Kieffer!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Welllll......

Kieffer says they can't identify it definitively. The number stamped on it and the pommel look "strange" to them. It is most likely a Zugspitz. The only number I found was stamped on the inside edge of the flap - the Kieffer Munchen stamp was very worn and not easily visible, so if there was another number stamped on it it is no longer readable.

Funny, I just bought the same saddle and was trying to figure out what model it is. Mine had never been on a horse so I can tell you what the flaps are for -- the new saddles come with a buckle on panel protector. It's like a leather pad that goes under the saddle and attaches to those buckles.

I believe it is a Zugspritz Springen Spezial.

It's a very cool saddle. Mine arrived today and I rode two horses in it. Very balanced saddle!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Funny, I just bought the same saddle and was trying to figure out what model it is. Mine had never been on a horse <snip>

It's a very cool saddle. Mine arrived today and I rode two horses in it. Very balanced saddle!
    photos???

Here's a photo:

http://equineink.files.wordpress.com...02/kieffer.jpg

You can see the panel protector under the saddle. You can get a sense for how forward the flap is on the saddle by how my saddle pad doesn't fit! I'll have to dig out my special pads with the extra forward cut.

The saddle has a few marks on it but the billets were pristine. I think I'm going to enjoy this one! This spring I had to sell my Stackhouse because it no longer fit my horse and I've been looking for a replacement for awhile.

1 members found this post helpful.

very nice
    Thank you!

I'd never seen one before. Must be an older model that was sitting in someone's tack room or in a tack store that went under. When I did a search, I found this thread so I guess there are a few floating around.

I had recently complained that there are no more saddle deals on eBay when I came across this one, which I got for a great price. Now I just need to stay away from eBay for awhile .

I have a similar saddle also. It's a monoflap and gives you a very nice position, but it's too wide for all of my horses. I think I remember mine being a little hard.

I got it on ebay years ago. One day I need to get around to putting it back on ebay, but it's in the closet and out of site, out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    I have a similar saddle also. It's a monoflap and gives you a very nice position, but it's too wide for all of my horses. I think I remember mine being a little hard.

I got it on ebay years ago. One day I need to get around to putting it back on ebay, but it's in the closet and out of site, out of mind.

Mine's off in the back room now, I have another saddle that I ended up with by chance that fits me AND my horse beautifully. I've considered throwing the Kieffer up on ebay or somewhere, it needs a little work to be usable but it has plenty of years left for someone that wants to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post

I believe it has the fiberglass tree which means you can have it adjusted by a Kieffer dealer using infrared technology.

Here's a bit more about the saddle (the person who sold it to me just emailed me the info).

The Zugspitz was available in dressage, jumping and XC versions around 1972-76. They may have been available on a custom basis up through the early '80s.