The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Identify this saddle, please!

The most I know is that it's a Kieffer. Would love any info on the model, it seems to be a unique saddle with a seam down the middle of the seat and the single piece flap without jockeys. I'm very curious to know what the strap (see picture of right side, just below the d ring) is for, also. Built in Oh Crap handle, maybe?

Saddle
    Saddle
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Wow, that is weird looking!!! I love my Kieffer tho
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

A friend of mine has one of those. I don't know anything about it, but I like riding in it. There's no padding to the seat, but it's still quite comfortable and very well balanced.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Well, it shall be mine soon enough. It needs some love - new billets, probably reflocked, and it has some cosmetic undoings that should be fixed up, but nothing a basic saddle repair shop couldn't handle.

I'm still very curious about that strap on the front.

Do you mean the tabs? I think they're meant for attaching the saddle pad to, or, more likely, the weight pad (back when weights were used), as when that saddle was new very few people used saddle pads or numnahs. I have a saddle that looks identical to yours including the tabs, except mine is very obviously a monoflap as it has long billets. It's also about 45 years old!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    Do you mean the tabs? I think they're meant for attaching the saddle pad to, or, more likely, the weight pad (back when weights were used), as when that saddle was new very few people used saddle pads or numnahs. I have a saddle that looks identical to yours including the tabs, except mine is very obviously a monoflap as it has long billets. It's also about 45 years old!
    Tabs? I'm not sure. What's a tab? I'm pre-weight pad era. There is a leather strap coming out of the hole on the right side, appears to be maybe 6" long? There is a hole, but no strap on the left side. They are just *ABOVE* the D ring, not below as I originally described.

ETA: There is a Zugspitze on ebay that looks pretty similar, and I can see that the straps loop around to the gullet? It also has the seam down the middle of the seat. There is ZERO description, so can't tell if it's monoflap or not. What exactly are those loops for?

ETA again: in looking at the additional photos I have of the saddle that is on it's way to me, it very well could be a monoflap? I can't see a second flap in any of the photos, though obviously there are no billets (could have been removed, I suppose?).

I have a Zugspitze, but not the one on e-bay- mine's too worn-out to be sold for any amount of $$.
    By tab, I meant those short straps just above the dee (both sides), but mine aren't 6" long, they're about 2 inches long and have a hole in the middle.
    Up until about 15 years ago, all competitors at the Preliminary 3-day level and above had to carry a minimum weight (175lbs, I think) on endurance day. Those who were less than that minimum weight had to carry extra poundage in lead weight. These were put into pockets that were found on a leather satchel-type pad. So as not to lose these weights, they were attached to the saddle, and I'm ass-uming (with all the inherent risks attached ) that these tabs/straps were what the weight pads attached to. I never got to that stage, although I've been in many a tack room where the weights were an essential item, so now I've dated myself! My only other wild guess is they're something to attach a breast-plate to.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Ok, that makes sense. And it sounds like they are what you're talking about. So it wouldn't be disastrous to remove the one remaining strap?

I did find out that it's a dual flap with short billets, not a monoflap. So that answers that question!

wow you posted in "eventing" but you might as well go jump under a train if you try doing a cross country course on this thing ...super flat kneepads, slippery grain leather, no blocks, I really wouldn't feel secure in this saddle!
    Sorry I can't help with the model though, definitely an older saddle. Make sure you don't spend too much if you're looking to buy it; it really isn't worth that much anymore even though it's a nice brand and high quality leather.

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    wow you posted in "eventing" but you might as well go jump under a train if you try doing a cross country course on this thing ...super flat kneepads, slippery grain leather, no blocks, I really wouldn't feel secure in this saddle!
    Sorry I can't help with the model though, definitely an older saddle. Make sure you don't spend too much if you're looking to buy it; it really isn't worth that much anymore even though it's a nice brand and high quality leather.
    I'm one of those that grew up jumping everything under the sun (including XC) in a flat, smooth old saddle with not even a knee roll (nevermind blocks!). My instructor's ooooold Pessoa, and then my own (I think it was a Crump) saddle.

Contrary to popular trend, you do not *need* giant blocks and textured leather and a big bucket seat to hold you in over XC fences. In fact, I find the blocks and big poofy knee rolls get in my way!

It's very affordable, I assure you - affordable enough that if it doesn't work out, it could easily become some sort of vintage decor item in my house - I paid far less than the Zugspitze I linked to on ebay at just $50. Kieffers are the only saddle thus far in 3 years that have fit this horse properly without shims and/or a lot of awkward padding and pinching, so it's worth a try. I already have a fancy saddle worth a lot and it doesn't fit him.

1 members found this post helpful.

Heinz, if it doesn't work for you, PM me ;-)
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Heinz, if it doesn't work for you, PM me ;-)
    Will do. I'm practically jumping up and down hoping it does work, but he's still battling the epic toe abscess so won't really be able to do much besides girth it up until he's back to work (which will, very hopefully, be soon). It was a fluke find - listed on a facebook group for horse stuff for sale in Oregon. I've been scouring ebay and craigslist for a Kieffer jumping saddle but all I was coming up with were all purpose models and big 18-19" seats.

I'm currently gimpy and my horse is leased out. So no rush. And it's not like that saddle is getting exponentially older by the day... But I do hope it works for you as well as it works for my friend.

Me too. I sent the pictures to Kieffer and am eagerly awaiting an "official" determination on the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Will do. I'm practically jumping up and down hoping it does work, but he's still battling the epic toe abscess so won't really be able to do much besides girth it up until he's back to work (which will, very hopefully, be soon). It was a fluke find - listed on a facebook group for horse stuff for sale in Oregon. I've been scouring ebay and craigslist for a Kieffer jumping saddle but all I was coming up with were all purpose models and big 18-19" seats.
    Have you looked into the Hintermayers? They all seem to be black and turn weird colors but I love mine, its what got me hooked on Kieffer . Not sure if they are made anymore, mine is 20 years old.

I did see a few! Just none that I could afford unless I sold my current saddle first, unfortunately. They looked interesting - how does it ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I did see a few! Just none that I could afford unless I sold my current saddle first, unfortunately. They looked interesting - how does it ride?
    I haven't gotten to use it much because I need to cough up the cash to have the tree widened a bit, but the times I have used it its WONDERFUL. Just wish I'd had the horse I got it for longer, so I could have ridden the hell out of that saddle, I never want to get out of it .

Good to know. It looks like my saddle is out on the truck for delivery today, so here's hoping it works out. I've started advertising my Delgrange but the market is so down that I'm afraid I may just end up keeping it.

Do you know, are the older trees adjustable like the newer ones? Looks like there is a saddle shop about an hour north of me that is a Kieffer dealer, I wonder if they can do that kind of work. I'd love to have my dressage saddle widened a bit when his topline fills out more.

I went and looked at two of these saddles recently. Despite being around 40 years old, one was BRAND NEW - flocking still soft, saddle looked like it had never been put on a horse. Here are photos of the two. I decided it wouldn't fit my horse - built more of an narrow TB type back.

Saddle 1

Saddle 2

Both of these were monoflaps (seller had picked them up at a county estate auction!). Nice saddle, just wouldn't work for me (I too had been looking for a Keifer jumping saddle).

Now that's an awful orange-y color. I'm sure it darkens quickly, though. Are they still for sale, Appsolute?