The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default USEF Dismisses Protest Against Mandarino

1 members found this post helpful.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

How sad indeed...

This thread went poof on Diva...I wonder if it will do the same here

It seems like if you're uncooperative and don't give any info to the USEF that they request, you can prevail (because there will be a lack of evidence against you). The USEF needs a rule that if you refuse to cooperate in a disciplinary hearing they can revoke your membership! Because that really seems like gaming the system!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

8 members found this post helpful.

I completely agree that refusing to release the complete necropsy (or at least toxicology) is like refusing a breathalyzer for a suspected DUI. Even if the penalty isn't as strong as it could be if you were "convicted," refusing to cooperate should have its own penalty.

8 members found this post helpful.

That article makes no sense. Depo isn't a corticosteroid unless they are confusing it with depo medrol. And nothing there requires a med report.

Very sad.

Do you suppose that USEF missed the police report where she admitted she killed her own pony by injecting it?
    Last edited by trubandloki; Nov. 5, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    That article makes no sense. Depo isn't a corticosteroid unless they are confusing it with depo medrol. And nothing there requires a med report.
    Actually, Depo (medroxyprogesterone) and corticosteroids have similar enzymatic activity. This is dose and situation dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    Actually, Depo (medroxyprogesterone) and corticosteroids have similar enzymatic activity. This is dose and situation dependent.
    That is interesting, and explains a lot about the effects of the medication. But the fact that it isn't actually classified as a corticosteroid makes a huge difference with regard to USEF rules, and calling it one in the context in this article is irresponsible and misleading. And I think more likely to be a result of a mistake than advanced knowledge of enzymatic activity.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    That is interesting, and explains a lot about the effects of the medication. But the fact that it isn't actually classified as a corticosteroid makes a huge difference with regard to USEF rules, and calling it one in the context in this article is irresponsible and misleading. And I think more likely to be a result of a mistake than advanced knowledge of enzymatic activity.
    Oh I see what you're saying! Yes, that makes more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Wow, that's depressing.

Why isn't there some sort of penalty for refusing to cooperate with the investigation?

I wonder what would have happened if it was Joe Schmoe Local Trainer in this situation instead of a well-known BNT.

4 members found this post helpful.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

You now have a situation , where the USEF is ALLOWING trainers / owners / riders to kill a horse at a competition with no repercussions , Quick everyone get your horses Life / accidental death insurance policies updated, Killing your horse by accidentally throwing it into cardiac arrest [edit] is now legal at a USEF sanctioned Horseshow. The USEF has ruled that unless the killer willingly hands over the incriminating evidence they won't sanction, suspend, or bar you in any way shape or form, business as usual...

14 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I might be the lone dissenter here, but I feel like it was the right thing to do on the part of the USEF. It was a tragic mistake, but one that could happen to any trainer that administers IV shots. I have to do it on a regular basis and believe me, I think about what could happen every. single. time.
    And if you think a licensed vet is the only person who whould be giving shots, well let's talk about making this sport even more ridiculously expensive than it already is, not to mention there are plenty of DVMs out there who would gladly administer whatever was wanted for $$.

And if you think dropping one on a needle only happens to non-vets...well, think again.

Sorry if this goes against the grain, but I hate to see the torch and pitchfork mentality in ANY situation.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I might be the lone dissenter here, but I feel like it was the right thing to do on the part of the USEF. It was a tragic mistake, but one that could happen to any trainer that administers IV shots. I have to do it on a regular basis and believe me, I think about what could happen every. single. time.
    And if you think a licensed vet is the only person who whould be giving shots, well let's talk about making this sport even more ridiculously expensive than it already is, not to mention there are plenty of DVMs out there who would gladly administer whatever was wanted for $$.

And if you think dropping one on a needle only happens to non-vets...well, think again.

Sorry if this goes against the grain, but I hate to see the torch and pitchfork mentality in ANY situation.
    I agree with you up to a point.

I think many of us, myself included, have given IV medications to a horse at some point in time, for one reason or another. And any time this is done, there is always a remote possibility of a reaction. In this way I do feel somewhat sorry for Mandarino, and I believe that she had no intention to cause the pony's death.

HOWEVER (and that's a big however) ... if she has nothing to hide, if it was just an injection of legal medication gone horribly wrong ... why not share the necropsy & toxicology results to say, "look, it was a horrible tragedy, but I wasn't giving the pony anything illegal; it could have happened to anyone that gives IV medications, even those prescribed by a vet."

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Situation View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if it was Joe Schmoe Local Trainer in this situation . . .
    Or if the member wasn't represented by good legal counsel.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think many of us, myself included, have given IV medications to a horse at some point in time, for one reason or another. And any time this is done, there is always a remote possibility of a reaction. In this way I do feel somewhat sorry for Mandarino, and I believe that she had no intention to cause the pony's death.

HOWEVER (and that's a big however) ... if she has nothing to hide, if it was just an injection of legal medication gone horribly wrong ... why not share the necropsy & toxicology results to say, "look, it was a horrible tragedy, but I wasn't giving the pony anything illegal; it could have happened to anyone that gives IV medications, even those prescribed by a vet."
    Exactly! Somebody that had done nothing wrong would have no issue handing over the results! If you've something to hide then you wouldn't want to share them is my feeling. Why couldn't they legally force her to hand over all the results? This whole thing just stinks...........sigh
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've just lost all respect for the USEF> I truly hope that a stweard is latched to Mandarino's hip so long as she continues to show. Pathetic.

6 members found this post helpful.

I am assuming Pony was insured, so curious if insurance will pay out in this death? Would that be public knowledge? Not sure why I care, but I can see how USEF's power is limited by what it has either gathered on its own, or is given willingly by the owner...not sure how much power people want their riding association to have. Should the USEF have the power to have confiscated the body and do its own tests? Should members pay for this?

This! ^

That was my main red flag all along - if it were a horrible mistake, why hide a perfectly legal necropsy report? I'm surry she is horribly embarrased/ashamed what have you, but by not giving the proper paper work to the USEF she is just making thigns worse for herself. And definitely not helping an already tarnished reputation.

3 members found this post helpful.