The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, kept the barn name and changed the registered name. Horse had not been USEF registered so registered him myself with the new name. Old name was okay but meant nothing to me and didn't seem to mean anything to the breeder either, it seemed kind of random. New name is meaningful to me and fits in with the barn name too. Changing with AHA was a snap, no problem. There was no breeder prefix but I would have retained it if there had been.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Many years ago, in the dark ages (circa late '60s, early
    '70s) a beginning dressage rider I knew, older woman, very nice, with "artistic" sensibilities (and I do NOT mean that sarcastically), bought a quite nice eventer prospect that she wished to convert to a pure dressage horse. He was a deep red chestnut appendix QH, no white at all, very TB in type. His registered name was "Snappy Charge," which I thought was pretty cute. But no, not a suitable name for a dressage horse, so she paid the then $100 fee to change his registered name. Don't know if it's more now. She changed it to "Aeilo." She was quite happy with the change, even when we pointed out to her that she could have called him by her chosen name and shown him as a dressage horse without actually changing his registered name. (No All-Breeds awards back then, so no need to use registered name.)

I really really wanted to but arabian horse assoc charges something like 250 for the name change. No thanks.

yes...it was "Studley Earnhart"
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

You really should honour the BREEDERS choice of name, and allow your horse to be a credit to them.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

So I'm thinking you can avoid the problem altogether by buying in utero...or before registration - I bet most mare owners would allow you to select your own name as long as it conforms to registry/breed rules. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    I'm sorta surprised nobody has cited "bad luck" ... which is the only thing that worries me!
    Ha ha! You and me both! Thankfully I haven't had a horse with an awful name.

I have Arabians and their names usually have a reference to the breeder and stallion so out of respect and fear of bad luck I wouldn't officially do a name change. However, I have given them "barn" names that have no association to their papered names.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You really should honour the BREEDERS choice of name, and allow your horse to be a credit to them.
    I think if you do an official name change so the ID numbers stay valid, leave the breeder's prefix in the name if it was there, give the breeder a heads-up so they aren't surprised when someone asks about New Name Dobbin XYZ, enter bloodline/breeder information correctly when registering with USEF, fill out breeder info when asked for on entry forms, and do your best to get the horse out properly prepared to shows, you do plenty to let the horse be a credit to the breeder.

If an owner wants to do all that and walk into the ring with a name being called out that makes the owner smile, more power to the owner.

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

[QUOTE=merrygoround;6651110]Some registries do not allow name changes. Therefore when the owner in horror over the original name adopts a "show name". The registry loses out, as does the sire.[/QDoddDodd]

not true. The USEF and USDF cross reference to registry. I've changed a name with them, but not the breed registry and the breed registry knew it was the same horse even though the names were different.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

My breeder didn't care. She was just thrilled that a horse she bred had a great home and was going to be shown and well cared for.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think a name change may be justified when the breeder chooses a name like these:
    (and I am not making these up - I have known these personally)

Loco Maniac
    Halfhearted Love
    Prom Dress
    Studs Malone

Sorry - The "Loco Maniac" is actually quite a sensible guy but would you want to go see a horse with that name to buy? What would you think when you heard him announced in the ring?

The breeder may have had good reason for picking that name on one particular day but it's just as likely that the breeder might have had a crappy day and immortalized it on the poor horse's registration papers.
    Last edited by JWB; Nov. 9, 2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Accidental emoticon!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Even if he let his daughter name it after an alternative rock band that was named after a quaalude?

The breeder I bought my present horse from tends to give them names, but not register them (assuming they sell before age 3), so the buyer has the option of keeping the name she gave them or changing it. I liked the name ("Confetti's Magic Marker") so that's how I registered him with both ApHC and AHA. Unfortunately, ApHC only allows 20 letters/spaces, so with them, his name is "Confettismagicmarker." LOL At least AHA let me have one more space, so with them, he's "Confetti's Magicmarker."

My previous horses, well, their registered names weren't the best, but they were 4 or older when purchased, and I didn't think their names were so bad I needed to go to the expense of changing them: Lotta Speed (AQHA), Dodacia (TB), Chico Joe B (ApHC), Thunderblazer (16.3 h.h. and near leopard, ApHC) and Viking Grog (ApHC).
    Last edited by Sandy M; Nov. 9, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

I have never changed a horse's name but a friend of mine did. The horse's original name was something that would even make sailors blush. I have no idea how it even got pass the registry. She changed it to something honoring her father and that was much classier. I think she paid $50 to do it and it was pretty easy. The horse was still a yearling at the time.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Some registries thankfully don't allow name changes without the breeder's authorization. As a breeder I am very much against unnecessary name-changes especially where the breeder is not directly notified. Many of us take real responsibility for the welfare of the horses we produce, and changing their names makes it far more difficult to keep track of them. Please, if you do change a name, at least have the courtesy to track down the breeder first to inform them.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Except for TB's horses are renamed. And for USEF, it can be done easily (pay $$)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    Many of us take real responsibility for the welfare of the horses we produce, and changing their names makes it far more difficult to keep track of them.
    As an aside... in my breed registry, you can look a horse up in the data base by the new name, the old name, the number, or just go to your stallion or mare's page and it will be listed under progeny, and those with name changes will have a symbol next to their name.

You cannot change a name after the horse has produced offspring. Once changed, you can only change it back to the original. Which is a vast improvement over the old rule which allowed unlimited name changes and often involved issuing a whole new registry number.

My OTTB's JC registered name is awful, IMHO, and has nothing to do with her pedigree that I can determine - Sheeza Stud Muffin. She did race, so I can't change it with the Jockey Club. She was registered with USEF when I bought her, so I changed her name when I transferred ownership with USEF and I will use the same show name when I register her with USEA, USDF, etc. from now on. Her barn name is Ruby so I tried to incorporate the better part of her JC name and ended up with Sheezagem.
    Last edited by leheath; Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Clarity

The name isn't intrinsically offensive, it's just not great. First time I googled it, I got a couple pages of links to racy videos.

*sigh* ... I just phoned the owner of the website where the horse was first listed for sale and the person remembered the horse but not the breeder. She gave me the name of the person who the owner (she was selling for someone else) said owned the dam ... I found listings but no phone number.

Needless to say, there's no prefix.

I also found a youtube video of the horse for sale as a 3-year-old. Of course, I want it! but have to contact the owner of the video for that ... but I should probably wait until the PPI is completed, I've paid for the horse and have papers in my hand.

The registry is the AWS. I have yet to contact them about the issue.

But really, I'm not riding the name or the registry

Btw, Sheezagem is a WONDERFUL name!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

[QUOTE]Btw, Sheezagem is a WONDERFUL name![/QUOTE]

Thanks - it suits my horse and expresses how I feel about her!