The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Water Table and Burial

I will be putting down my retired horse next week and need burial advice. We have a small 6 acre farm and the previous owners dug the well on the back of the property. My entire property slopes down and I need to figure out the best place to bury my guy without effecting the water quality.

Thanks, this is a difficult process.

I am so sorry, Lowe's, or possibly TC, has a brown and silver tarp, it is big and strong, try to tie it up so there is no leakage, that is all I can think of at the moment.

Water doesn't run uphill. Bury as far to the side of or downhill from the well as you can. At least 100 ft away, if you can manage it. A properly installed well will have been grouted so groundwater can't get in, but best to be safe rather than sorry.

1 members found this post helpful.

Or, now that we really know better, you may reconsider burying.

We finally did that, years ago and don't bury any more.
    Your situation may be different, but here we have veins of water at 7' to 10', not enough for big volume, but still good water.
    Then around 180' to 250' is our main water sources, with some more significant sources around 500', which is where the larger irrigation wells are placed.

Because of those first shallow veins, any burying here is discouraged, unless burning first is involved.

If you think about it, well, the real individual is gone once gone, the body is not really him any more.

Sorry that time is here, but he will be better off, while not making it easier, can keep you focused on him and his needs.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Or, now that we really know better, you may reconsider burying.

We finally did that, years ago and don't bury any more.
    Your situation may be different, but here we have veins of water at 7' to 10', not enough for big volume, but still good water.
    Then around 180' to 250' is our main water sources, with some more significant sources around 500', which is where the larger irrigation wells are placed.

Because of those first shallow veins, any burying here is discouraged, unless burning first is involved.

If you think about it, well, the real individual is gone once gone, the body is not really him any more.

Sorry that time is here, but he will be better off, while not making it easier, can keep you focused on him and his needs.
    Thanks everyone! I called NCRS and they told me to avoid low areas as well as bury him no more than 8 feet deep. In GA if it is below 8 feet it can interfere with water. I hate this part of horse ownership

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    Water doesn't run uphill. Bury as far to the side of or downhill from the well as you can. At least 100 ft away, if you can manage it. A properly installed well will have been grouted so groundwater can't get in, but best to be safe rather than sorry.
    I can't. The people who built my property built in on a slope with the well at the bottom of the slope. However, there is an area in the woods that should not feed into the well area.