The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turnips. What to do with 'em?

Long story short, I've got an entire half-peck of freshly picked turnips. No greens, just turnips. They were on super duper sale.

Anyone have some amazing turnip recipes to share? I only have four turnip recipes in my arsenal: the basic oven-roasted turnip, a turnip puree that's a lot like mashed potatoes, a pressure cooker recipe for stewed tomatoes and turnips, and this pan-fried potato-turnip patty:
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...otato_patties/

No, I'd pretend they weren't there....

4 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Take your favorite homemade au gratin potato recipe and sub in thinly sliced turnips. You can boil and mash them like potatos as well. Add lots of butter and cream. Raw turnip slices are delish, just shake on a little salt. You can cream them like you would celery or carrots, just thinly slice, cook and finish with white sauce
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

You can cut them in chunks. Drizzle with olive oil. Shake on salt and pepper and a few herbs like rosemary if you like and roast them.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Martha Stewart has a receipe for a very delicious vegetable soup that uses turnips, parsnips and potatoes. I'd have to look up the recipe, but you basically cook all the vegetables then puree them and cook with some cream and spices.

I am waiting to hear some super duper recipes. Me? I just wash them, cut them up and use them in a soup or stew like a carrot or potato. Okay, here's a recipe:
    PeteyPie's Chicken Stew
    1 medium diced yellow onion
    4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped coarsely
    1 tbsp olive oil (more if needed)
    1 can stewed tomatoes (Italian style are good or you can use fresh: 4 diced Roma tomatoes plus 1/4 finely-diced bell pepper. Saute the pepper with the onions and garlic)
    1 or 2 carrots, peeled and chopped in 1" pieces
    1 or 2 turnips, chopped same size as carrots (peel icky or discolored parts of skin first)
    2 tsp cumin
    3 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
    a few dashes of Tobasco sauce
    dash of red pepper (or more to taste)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup raisins, or dried cherries, or craisins
    1 chicken cut up, most of skin removed, or equal amount of your favorite cuts of chicken.
    1 cup water
    2 tbsp capers (optional)

Garnish: 1/2 cup loosely chopped cilantro leaves.

Saute onion in olive oil until translucent. Add cumin, saute a few seconds, then garlic, cooking barely so it doesn't get bitter. Remove onion and garlic and add chicken to hot oil, browning as much as you feel like. If I'm in a hurry, I don't brown it at all, I just dump in all the rest of the ingredients. So after browning the chicken, add the cooked onion, garlic and the vegetables. Sprinkle the Worchestershire sauce and turn it all over to coat the chicken and vegetables. Add everything else except the raisins, capers, and cilantro. I like to squish the tomatoes into smaller pieces. Simmer the stew until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. If it needs more broth, add more water and/or another can of stewed tomatoes. Add the raisins and capers when the stew is almost done.

Serve it with rice and garnish with cilantro.

All of the measurements are approximate and vegetables can be changed if you have something in your fridge you want to use up. Just don't cut down on the onion and garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Take your favorite homemade au gratin potato recipe and sub in thinly sliced turnips. You can boil and mash them like potatos as well. Add lots of butter and cream. Raw turnip slices are delish, just shake on a little salt. You can cream them like you would celery or carrots, just thinly slice, cook and finish with white sauce
    Yum, butter and cream!

I'm really simple.

I wash them.

Cut off the greens and cook them in coconut oil.

Chop white bits and add to stir frys! Delish.

I've had them mashed and they were super tasty. Didn't make them myself, so there might have been lots of butter, but they weren't really seasoned other than maybe that and salt. I really liked them.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Add gruyere cheese and thyme and your casserole will kick ass! It's one of my favorite special recipes during the holidays.

Sub them for potatoes in a pot roast or with a corned beef. Mmmmmm.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

here is one
    Roasted Turnips & Pears with a Rosemary-Honey Drizzle

There’s a lovely balance in this autumn side dish between the sweet pears and the, well, not-so-sweet, turnips – and between the floral honey and the piney rosemary. All the flavors come together in a way that just might be palatable for people who normally wouldn’t eat turnips. These would be especially good nestled next to a braised lamb shank or some short ribs. Purple-topped turnips don’t need peeling; nor do I peel pears when I’m roasting them, so this is an easy dish to put together.

3 medium purple-topped turnips (14 to 15 ounces total), unpeeled, cut into large (1/2- to 3/4-inch) dice
    1 firm but ripe Bosc or Bartlett pear (about 7 ounces), unpeeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Line a large (18- x 13- x 1-inch) heavy-duty rimmed sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, toss the turnips and pears with the vegetable oil and the salt. Spread the turnips and pears in one layer on the sheet pan and roast, flipping with a spatula once or twice during cooking if you like, until the turnips are tender when pierced with a paring knife or spatula, 25 to 30 minutes (the turnips will be brown on some sides, the pears will be a bit darker).

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the honey and the rosemary. Simmer for a few seconds and remove from the heat.

Transfer the cooked turnips and pears to a mixing bowl and drizzle the butter mixture over all, scraping all of the mixture out of the saucepan. Toss well and transfer to a serving dish.

Serves 3
    Last edited by ML; Nov. 5, 2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Six Burner Sues

Just do what I do with okra:
    find a nice sturdy box
    carefully place the turnips in the box
    wrap it in festive wrapping paper
    drive to campus
    park in your usual spot
    leave your car unlocked

Voila! No more pesky turnips!

Sincerely, your friend Smathy

4 members found this post helpful.

They're great raw on a vegetable platter with dip, too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Mashed and fried is my personal favorite. They are so good they can stand alone in my book.

Chaserider, chuckle

rustbreeches, gonna try that recipe.

I like them raw- crisp, crunchy, and spicy. Put into salads or on a veggie/dip plate. You can pickle them too, in a basic vinegar-brine in the fridge for a couple of days, and get nice spicy pickles.

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I like them raw- crisp, crunchy, and spicy. Put into salads or on a veggie/dip plate. You can pickle them too, in a basic vinegar-brine in the fridge for a couple of days, and get nice spicy pickles.
    I've been on a pickled anything kick for couple weeks, now I'm going to have to find some turnips to pickle
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I've been on a pickled anything kick for couple weeks, now I'm going to have to find some turnips to pickle
    Would you be pregnant, by any chance, Rustbreches??
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

What an amazing collection of ideas! Thanks so much, everyone. And feel free to keep the ideas coming! Some others I've found in my research

Pear and Turnip Veloute (it's a soup)
    http://sheeatsbears.blogspot.com/201...p-veloute.html

Pork Belly and Turnips
    http://norecipes.com/blog/buta-kabun...y-and-turnips/

Turnip Fries
    http://www.cooklocal.com/2010/01/15/turnip-fries/

Cantonese Turnip Cake (Law Buck Gow)
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ock-Gow-100779