The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dr. Ellie's Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye

Has anyone tried this? I don't like dentists and haven't been for years so I'm doing this hoping to fix anything that may be wrong.

http://www.drellie.com/

So far I'm loving how my teeth feel. Eating the Xylitol candies has its advantages too-----my mouth always feels fresh so I don't snack so often. Lost a few pounds!

You don't go to the dentist?

Sorry I just can't wrap my head around that one.

But good for you I guess!

Yeah, I'm a wuss. Last time was in 1987 to replace a lost filling.

I'd love to Kiss him Goodbye and hope this works.

I am a wuss as well but dental care is not something I would risk on some 'product.'

I have seen first hand what happens to someone that refuses dental care (NOT me) and it ain't pretty.

This Dr. Ellie's program uses xylitol - Xylitol is extremely hazardous (as in Fatal) to dogs.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

Please, if you have dogs be extremely careful not to drop any of those "candies", and don't store them anywhere that your dog could possibly get into them! Your dog's life could be in danger with even one mistake or mishap.

I haven't been to the dentist in years, either, but 1. my mother is a retired DDS, she's done cleanings with home kits once in a while and can see if there's anything I'd need to go for in-office treatment for, 2. I actually know how to do my own scaling (using the metal tools for calc deposits, 3. I had regular care including fluoride treatments as a kid and 4. I'm not prone to cavities (that's related to your mouth's chemistry--I apparently don't have a mouth that's hospitable for the germs in question, while my brother has had two root canals) and haven't had one since I was eight (and that was a baby molar.) I don't do anything special except brush religiously and try to be good about flossing. I wouldn't buy any sort of special product or "system."

If I were prone to dental issues, had crowns or a bridge or a history of cavities, I would absolutely NOT try to go it alone. Heck, if my third molars start to erupt after all or otherwise start causing problems, I'll go to a dentist for an in-office check. Set aside cosmetic worries about tooth color or straightness, oral infections can turn septic in very nasty ways.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is such a horrible idea...

Oral health is an integral part of overall health. My brother is afraid of the dentist and SUFFERS from serious problems all stemming from his teeth. There was also an episode of Dr. G, Medical Examiner where a young, 30 year old man died very abruptly. Turns out it was from dental decay. He had not been feeling well due to a cavity and was spending a lot of time laying on his back. In this time laying down, he aspirated plaque and bacteria and developed a pretty severe pneumonia. His lack of dental care killed him.

People with dental disease are also at greater risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease. Things that you wouldn't think have a connection but do. Not something to put your faith in some gimmick. Get thee to a dentist that specializes in gentle, no pain, no fear or even sedation dentistry. Those are the true professionals in this field. Not some internet snake oil sales person who doesn't know you or gives a crap about your overall health.

And I tell you this as someone who found out I have a very rare and serious allergy to -caine drugs at the dentist's office when I was a teen. (lidocaine, novocaine, carbocaine, benzocaine, cocaine <- they used it once after a sinus surgery. It was medicinal - not recreational and again - I nearly died. Say no to drugs people!) Local anesthetics that are -caine derivatives can cause me to go into acute anaphylaxis. But, even after my experience, I go religiously every 6 months for my cleanings and if I need more extensive work, I have a treatment plan set up with my dentists that is a bit more complicated than most, but we get through. It's just that important. If I can do it - so can you.

I had my husband look over the site and he forwarded it to a couple of his dental pals. He says that yes this type of product can help to keep a healthy mouth. However . . . it is extremely iffy in regards to all the claims it makes.

It would be like taking a pill instead of getting a mammogram etc. This type of claim can be very dangerous to a person's health. He says that if you want to take this as part of your overall dental care that's fine. But taking this in lieu of dental care can be dangerous to your health.

He thinks that you should see your regular dentist and discuss this with him/her. There are no magic bullets out there to fix dental decay. For all you know you could have an abscess brewing in your mouth somewhere and without proper dental intervention you could become a very very sick young lady. This little pill isn't going to fix that, it isn't going to reverse the need for a root canal etc.

He thinks that these types of claims are dangerous as folks will believe that they no longer have to see a dentist. It is "playing with fire" . Oh and yes my husband is a dentist.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I don't really see how those little candies are supposed to "fix everything"? chewing sugerless gum after each meal will do much the same thing I think, and has been proven to improve dental health.

but that said, I think most dental care is way too strongly skewed towards the cosmetic aspects. I don't really trust dentists because all they seem to care about is making your teeth look like artificial white chiclets, with zero concern for actual good health. Many of the people I know who are really into going to dentists mostly go in order to have their extensive dental work- all done to turn their teeth into white chiclets- maintained, not to have their actual health attended to.
    Once you've covered the basics at home with fluride, good diet and good tooth hygeine, you shouldn't need much from a dentist. Some people are definitely cursed with bad teeth/gums genetically, and there's not much that a dentist can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I don't really see how those little candies are supposed to "fix everything"? chewing sugerless gum after each meal will do much the same thing I think, and has been proven to improve dental health.

but that said, I think most dental care is way too strongly skewed towards the cosmetic aspects. I don't really trust dentists because all they seem to care about is making your teeth look like artificial white chiclets, with zero concern for actual good health. Many of the people I know who are really into going to dentists mostly go in order to have their extensive dental work- all done to turn their teeth into white chiclets- maintained, not to have their actual health attended to.
    Once you've covered the basics at home with fluride, good diet and good tooth hygeine, you shouldn't need much from a dentist. Some people are definitely cursed with bad teeth/gums genetically, and there's not much that a dentist can do about that.
    Wow Wendy, you must of had a very bad experience with a bad dentist in the past. This is so far from what a good dentist does it's light years away. Just brushing your teeth and eating right won't protect your teeth from a variety of things that could seriously affect your overall health. I'm sorry you have such a bad impression of dentists as a whole.

Wow, the dentist isn't my favorite place either, but I cannot even IMAGINE going years without a visit. Dental health is SO important to your over all health, like Snowflake says!

And Wendy, not once has my dentist offered or pushed whitening or any other cosmetic procedures. Ever. Sounds like you need to find a new dentist.

I go in every six months for a cleaning, radiographs every year and rarely have fillings. Since I show up with regularity, even the fillings are nothing more than very brief discomfort, as they're caught and repaired before they get large. I find novacaine to be the worst part of the dentist, so I skip it.

pony baloney, if you're terrified of going in, find someone who will prescribe anti-anxieties for you. Seriously, the health of your mouth--and your OVERALL health--is not something to hang on this gimmick.

2 members found this post helpful.

I know, I know. I haven't had dental insurance in many many years. But honestly, I don't have any problems with my teeth--no sensitivity, dark spots, nothing. Yes, I know there could be stuff going on that I don't know about. I will go at some point, but not yet.

I've had my fill of dental work--braces for 3 years, night braces, retainers, impacted wisdom teeth removed, baby teeth pulled before the braces, and even that little muscle under my upper lip cut out. I know a few people who have had horrible teeth who used this program and their teeth are fantastic now. In addition to the xylitol, there are specific rinses involved as well as a toothpaste.

Just wondered if anyone else had used it.

PonyB, most dental insurance policies aren't very good at all. Your best bet is to have a medical savings account to use for this. If you go twice a year for cleanings and check-ups you will be proactive!

My husband always tells his patients that don't come regularly . . "don't worry I make lovely dentures!"

Avoiding regular check ups and cleanings can end up costing you thousands of dollars and a whole lot of pain and health issues. Please just go for cleanings and check ups. Find a nice dentist through a friends referral that they trust! You won't be sorry in the long run. Your health is just too important to ignore!!

I too went through all the dental, orthodontic hell you did as a young lady. I know that if I hadn't married a dentist I would probably be toothless myself! lol! But a good caring dentist will make your visits pain free and stress free. You just have to find the right dentist for you. But please promise me you will go on a regular basis! All that suffering you did for years is worth taking care of! Don't let all that slide!