The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In Texas: Chiropractic/acupuncture, legalities

In the state of Texas, does one have to be a licensed veterinary to do either chiropractic or acupuncture on horses? All the chiros and acupuncturists I know are also vets, but not sure if it is legally required or not. Just curious, any info would be great

I think you have to be a licensed doctor of chiropratic or a licensed doctor of veterinary medicine.

Though I'm not sure which governing body would regulate that? Licensing for animal chiropractic that is...

Not sure how regulations go in Texas, but all of the reputable educational programs for equine chiropractic require that you are already a licensed chiropractor or a licensed veterinarian. Same goes for physical therapy/rehab, have to be a licensed vet or human PT just to get into the programs. To do accupuncture, again, have to be a vet, just to get into the reputable programs.

Massage and accupressure are murky areas. Most programs will accept laypeople(persons?); there are some really great, coprehensive programs out there, and then there are shady, get certified in a week programs out there. While I might take a week course to learn to massage my own horse, I certainly wouldn't pay someone to massage my horse that had only taken a week certification.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by kgro632 View Post
    I think you have to be a licensed doctor of chiropratic or a licensed doctor of veterinary medicine.

Though I'm not sure which governing body would regulate that? Licensing for animal chiropractic that is...
    American Veterinary Chiropractic Association covers the certification, I believe