The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well, I'm pretty spoiled because we end up eating at the dining hall with the ranch guests a lot of the time so neither of us have to cook...

However, if we do decide to cook I do it 99% of the time.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Pompeii - that's my house! If I don't plan/cook, everyone would be eating cereal each night of the week.

I like cooking, but I hate planning the meals! And I'm too unorganized to plan more than 6 hours in advance. My mother used to do groceries once a week, and have her meals planned for the next 7 days. I'm at the grocery store almost every day.

My husband runs the grill. But, ever since what I refer to "the incident of the brown casserole", I have been the sole cook.

He cleans up and also does the bulk of our laundry and the grocery shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    I like cooking, but I hate planning the meals!
    After years of kids and all those meals 3x per day sometimes - the 'what's for dinner' question gets real old! Altho I could never be as bad as my MIL she had a two week menu - it never drifted! You knew exactly what was for dinner each day of the week and it all got ground up and put in the meatloaf at the end of the week.

If someone would just pipe up and say Hey I feel like eating ----- this week that would be awesome. I've found that a really nice pictured cookbook is helpful for meal inspirations. The best meals are the ones that you feel like fixing. And everyone needs a break when it becomes drudgery.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I made a list of meals that were easy enough for the kids (12 and 15) or DH to cook for themselves, I have a couple meals that they can always cook for themselves and I keep those ingredients in the freezer (tater tot casserole is our standby), I made a list of meals and divided them up by how easy they were, how cheap they were, crock pot meals, ones we wanted to try... it's just school paper and handwritten but it's enough to trigger some brain cells when we're at a loss or can't imagine what to buy at the grocery store that day... I'm pretty good at pulling a meal together out of nothing but they aren't.

I also always have food network on in the kitchen and if someone sees something that looks good (and doable) we put it on the list, or sometimes it reminds us of another meal...

or if I have some time I'll sift around on tastykitchen and jot down ideas... I don't cook from recipes so all I need is the idea...and I like to cook, just run out of creativity sometimes...

1 members found this post helpful.

For the first seven years of our marriage, Mr. PoPo did 99% of the cooking - if he didn't want to cook, I'd make frozen pizza.

Then in the past year, I started cooking one night a week - and always the same VERY easy (but very yummy) pasta dish.

Now that Mr. PoPo is super super super busy at work, and I'm not, I do most of the cooking - a shocker! I'm actually enjoying it. I do go to the grocery store a couple times a week because I cook vegetarian meals and want the freshest produce I can get. I will say, though, that we're main-coursers only. Even when Mr. PoPo would cook, we'd never have side dishes - neither one of us feels the need for them, and personally that is just too much food for me.

While I miss Mr. PoPo's FABULOUS cooking, I'm enjoying playing around in the kitchen. I found out that I am a good cook! And Mr. PoPo really appreciates me taking on the role, as he's just too busy.

Oh, and he/she who cooks does not have to clean - although I do clean the kitchen as I go along - I hate a messy kitchen, and it makes less work for him when I'm done.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I cook. If it gets clean, mowed, weeded,etc., he does it. I bought him a Dyson a few years ago for his birthday.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I used to do most of the cooking, but now that we have the baby, he insists on doing most of it for me, which is super sweet. Sometimes I do just want to put the baby down and cook, though!! The interesting thing is how much he's improved at cooking. He used to be very much an overdone-steak and over-salted potatoes/veggies guy, to the point that sometimes I couldn't even eat what he cooked 'cause it was so overcooked and overseasoned. In the past few weeks, he's made a REALLY good chicken/andouille sausage stew, teriyaki stir fry, one of my special recipes, and a couple of really good medium rare steak/veggie combos. Color me impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    I cook. If it gets clean, mowed, weeded,etc., he does it. I bought him a Dyson a few years ago for his birthday.

Carol
    You are a lucky lady!

I do all the cooking.... If I didn't it would be A LOT of KD and wieners...
    I often wonder how hubby survived on his own sometimes?

What I want to know is who cleans the toilet...

I LOVE to cook - it's pretty much a hobby - so doing 99.9% of the cooking around here definitely is not a problem. I prefer it.

That said, hubby is THE outdoor burger griller. Period. For some bizarre reason, while I can broil a decent burger indoors, my outdoor burger grilling skills suck. I can grill seafood, turkey, chicken - even guinea hen - without any problems, but burger skills elude me. So when I/we have a taste for grilled burgers, hubby gleefully takes care of it.

Hubby is also a more than adequate basic cook if I'm injured/under the weather/etc., & is also more than willing under those circumstances to bring home takeout.

So bottom line - no problems here.

I try to cook, but if I have the recipe out and all the ingredients there, he takes over. He has trouble deciding what to make, which, admittedly, is the harder part, and it was hard to let go at first, but it is pretty fun to step back and let him make it.

Odd, I know.

My husband does all of the grocery shopping, cooking and even does the dishes. I'm very fortunate. We've been married 16+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by pryme_thyme View Post
    What I want to know is who cleans the toilet...
    My husband cleans the bathrooms too. I'm very lucky.

My SO and I don't live together anymore but when we did, I did all the cooking and cleaning. He can make chili but that's it. It's ok, though. I like to cook. I hardly ever stick with a recipe so things can taste pretty different from one time to the next - depending on what I've forgotten or added.

DH does most of the cooking and I clean up. However, I do the baking and make pizza dough for homemade pizzas. He also cleans the bathrooms and dusts (but not very often) while I do the rest of the cleaning.