The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who does the cooking in your household? Can or will your dh/so cook?

I'm so tired of cooking and planning menus 7/365.

When I first met my dh, he actually cooked some decent dinners on our dates. Married now for 16 years, and for the last 14 I seem to be doing all the cooking.

The odd time he prepares a dinner, he comes up with the most bizarre combinations: i.e., grilled salmon, with mashed potatoes.

Who puts mashed potatoes with grilled salmon?

And how about some vegetables?? a salad perhaps?

Venting.

LOL!
    When hubby cooks I don't complain. I've convinced him that we don't need carbs or meat every single meal, and that mediterranean cooking is better day in day out than Belgium-style cooking (he was raised by Belgian parents) and anyway, I don't digest cream / milk that well.
    He actually ENJOYS cooking, and I don't. I enjoy cooking when I am inspired (new recipe, I'm in the mood, etc) but cooking every night...gah. And since I refuse to buy ready-made dinners, for various reasons, if hubby didn't like to cook, he'd be miserable! But then we knew each other so well before getting married, he knew what he was getting into.
    We often cook together, share the work...it's fun.
    I still dread to hear "What's for dinner?". I always feel like answering "whatever you're willing to cook..."
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

99% of the time I com, unless its summer because that's the only time DH feels like grilling, lol.

I usually cook because I hate doing dishes. The trade off was supposed to be whoever cooks doesn't have to clean, although I recently had to yell at him about that

DH took over all the cooking when I started nursing school awhile back, and he's carried on after I graduated. At the moment, he's out shopping for stuff to make a nice beef stew to go with the weather. I do feel a bit guilty for not taking back "my share" of the cooking, but he says it's ok.

I cook 50% of the time, my wife the other 50%. I'm a pretty perfunctory cook, my wife is better, but not particularly enthusiastic either. As long as it's edible, I'm happy.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Okay, totally not fair to the OP, but mine is a better cook than I am, and he has improved my cooking over the years. He has the remarkable knack of being able to look in the fridge and say "I have a hunk of meat, some peppers, an onion, some cheese...yeah, I can make something with that."

He was on worker's comp for an injury for 15 months and I didn't have to cook once during that time. In fact, my life has been seriously compromised since he went back to work.

I'm responsible for cooking on my work from home days (Tuesday and Thursday). Friday is always homemade pizza (he makes 3 batches of dough at a time, he rolls it out and I chop and assemble the fixings) and Sunday is usually steak on the grill. So he cooks Monday and Wednesday, which is a pretty even division of labor.

However, I pretty much always wind up mowing, cleaning the bathroom and doing laundry, so pick your poison.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I do all the cooking. Husband can make eggs in a nest. However, he calls them Egg Breads. Which is a very literal description, I guess. He makes that once a year or so. Makes a bunch of them, eats maybe one and feeds the rest to the dogs if I'm not watching. Then I get dogs with egg-farts all day.

But I'm also territorial when it comes to my kitchen. I prefer to do all the cooking. Actually, I insist. Get out.

Although a while back...maybe almost 2 years?...he decided to try the Nutrisystem meal thing. So I didn't have to cook for him for a year, he ate only the meals. And he can follow microwave directions. In a way it was really nice because I could make only what I liked...husband is very fussy. Now I cook every night for me...and a few nights per week I make for both of us but he eats what I do. I'm a healthy eater, so he doesn't get fussy anymore because his taste buds run to some of the worst foods.

But since I love cooking, I also cook extra meals just about every night anyway. And drop them off to a few elderly gentlemen once a week (frozen with micro directions) who are widowers of a certain generation who really cannot make a decent meal. Oh, and my hay guy. Always keep the hay guy happy.

I also adore baking...and really don't care overly much for sweets. So those are almost always donations too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I do almost all of the cooking. DH is willing to help out, but he often works late, and cooking makes him nervous. He used to grill meat sometimes, but I was doing that this summer, too, because of his work hours. And even when he does grill, he definitely prefers it if I season/marinate first.

I love to cook, so I'm totally okay with that. Really the only problem is that if I'm unable to cook for some reason (illness, travel, etc.) I have to have something easy for him to prepare on hand, and since I cook most stuff from scratch I don't always have things in the house that are easy for him if I'm not anticipating being unavailable.

Interestingly, though, I learned to cook from my dad. My parents are divorced and my mother hates to cook, and I did a fair bit of the household cooking even in high school.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Nothing wrong with mashed taters with salmon - I do it but usually poach the salmon.

I've TRIED to get the cats to share cooking duties but ran into a few problems. First, they are too short, second, they don't have opposible thumbs, third, they shed everywhere and fourth, they cannot read the keypad on the microwave or the numbers on the dials on the stove. so I am stuck!!!LOL
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

4 members found this post helpful.

BTW...mashed cauliflower (made just like mashed taters) is a great side with salmon.

But I also like potato crusted roasted salmon. With a little extra sharp provolone grated on top.

Nom!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't exactly LIVE with my SO (though we end up at each others houses staying at least 80% of the time right now), and we split cooking pretty evenly. He is a MUCH better cook for the "fancy" things than I, and certainly enjoys it more, and I am better at the staples and a few interesting ethnic things, such as Bosnian and Russian fare, which we both love. Its a nice change from having to do all the cooking day in and day out, because its NOT my favorite activity!

Actually we enjoy cooking together. Sometimes I do the prep work and he puts it together, sometimes it's the other way around. (Especially if there are diced onions involved!)

I generally monitor adherence to the recipe so we don't miss anything major if he's being creative.

On my own I can make *one* thing from a recipe, but I have a really hard time coordinating dishes so they all come out at once. It helps to have another set of hands to help when things get complicated.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I don't mind doing all the cooking, and I do do the majority of it, along with the shopping and meal planning. It's the blasted cleaning up afterwards that has me venting today. I was a SAHM off/on for years along with homeschooling for the past five and of course that made it so I ended up doing all the cooking and cleaning. The kids will pitch in if I ask them (and I do!) but it seems to be my destiny to clean up after others. I've tried all the motivational tricks, none of them have stuck so I end up having to do it myself or live in cluttery chaos which makes my mind turn to crabby cluttery chaos. gah.

Sorry, vent-jack.

Ugh, CBM, not cool!
    I cook, DH cleans up. I don't care if it's a couple of days til it's picked up...but I cook W-Sun...we have leftovers Monday and go out to eat most Tuesday's- I am tired of all the things I know how to make, that's the only thing....

I do most of the cooking, but that's because I get home at least an hour earlier than DH and am HUNGRY, DAMMIT!!

DH will cook any time I ask him to, and is good at it. I have no complaints about our cooking schedule. Sometimes I just get a takeout sub, and he comes home later and cooks something. Not a problem.

Friday is a no-cooking day and we get take-out. Saturday can also be a take-out day, or very early, like 4 pm, dinner with a roast or a chicken. During the week, often DH will want fish, which I will buy but don't cook, so he cooks it when he gets home at 7:30. I've already eaten something else by then.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I do all the cooking. Husband can make eggs in a nest. However, he calls them Egg
    That's top funny MistyBlue! My SO calls them birds nests! And actually made some today! I thought that style was strictly a Newfie thing!

Both my SO and I cook, but since I only work part time now, I do 99% of the cooking. And I do enjoy it. But SO is a great cook and griller but things can get heated when we BBQ! We are both the best in our minds lol!

My ex, whom I was with for thirteen years made me dinner once. Cold, canned ravioli, and tater tots. Thought he was gods gift when he served me. True story.

DH cooks and DD does most of the washing up. He's a far better cook than I am, and for three years I was on swing shift so I ate Lean Cuisine at work and they rustled up dinner for themselves - nowadays he's just used to cooking, and did I say he's a better cook?
    Of course he does use every pot and pan and utensil in the house!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I cannot cook a damn thing. My husband, however, is an awesome gourmet chef. I am so full of the most delicious fall-off-the-bone short ribs right now that I can't move.

I put water on to boil and it burns...

3 members found this post helpful.

I do most cooking. DH is a master of the grilled cheese sams in numerous variations (as per my subtle suggestions), and he cooks bacon and sausage perfectly and is THE grillmaster. He's learned a decent scrambled egg after watching me for years, but I pretty much decide what's fer dinna.

Today it was all beige food from sunup to sundown... rice pudding, tuna salad, ham salad, ham Mac n' cheese. Oh, and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Our friend's father passed on Tues pm and our wonderful neighbor's sister had a heart attack Friday so I had food to drop off, and somehow with what I had and what the stores here in sans-power NJ offered, that's what I made.

Of course Mr. Lovey praised and glommed every thing, but then he always does. He knows how to keep me happily cooking away....smart man.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

1 members found this post helpful.

My SO does all the cooking. Thankfully, he's good at it and enjoys it, because I'm indifferent. When I cook it'll be for myself... KD, perhaps, haha.

He does wish I cooked more in the morning, and I do occasionally... But I'm usually not in the mood to cook in the morning so if it were left to me it'd be toast or cereal.