The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Speak to me of cel phones with unlimited, no-contract plans.

I thought I had this *relatively* figured out, but a visit to Target completely has me confuzzled. Apparently, I canNOT keep my current phone number if I stay with Verizon for one of these phones. I'm done with my contract, and my current LG phone has taken to spontaneously shutting itself off, so time for a new phone, hopefully cheaper plan.

My clients use both talk and text to communicate, and currently I don't have the ability to open pictures. Pix would be nice as a bonus (Hey, Trigger has a fat knee.. here: LOOK"). Nice also would be occasional 'net access so I can check the weather. Would this automatically mean I need a 'smart phone'? WTF IS a smartphone anyway?

My current plan, as I had it rigged with Verizon while in contract is supposed to be about $60/ month with limits of talking and texts. Of course I can't recall quantities of each.. will check and return. But my bill the last 3 months with overages was above $120 EACH month. Ugh.

A friend has a phone where she 'loads' her card with $40/month unlimited talk/ text/ pix on the Verizon network, but she is NOT under contract. I'm goign to try and lassoo her and see if she can hold my hand through my own purchase but until then, what say you?

I've also heard horror stories of people getting new phones and going 'No contract' only to be stuck in the stupid-loop with someone of a thick accent who's of no help whatsoever, leaving them phoneless for days to weeks. NOT something I can do in my business.

Any help muchly appreciated.

If you like Verizon's service (and in my experience, having had AT&T and spending two years suffering through T-Mobile, there's not much to complain about with icVerizon), why don't you just get a smartphone (which are basically like mini PCs with a phone and mobile broadband card built in) with a new contract? With 1 GB of data (data service is required on the smartphones, FYI), it'll cost about $100/month. The Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx had really long battery life for a smartphone, and overall is one of the best currently out there. You can get it for about $50 on Amazon's cell site.

Default my two cents worth...

and that is all it is worth. I have done a LOT of looking at cell phones in my mystery shopping. Now I have el cheapo cheapo from AT&T and am paying $15 a month for about 10 cents a minute a call. I rarely use mine, but it is a phone ONLY. I also have a digital camera. If you want one with all the bells and whistles, I would seriously look at T-Mobile. Their rates are the most reasonable, [unless you count Cricket] But they will try to sign you to a contract. T-Mobile has nice phones, and employees are for the most part intelligent.
    Another killer of threads

http://support.verizonwireless.com/c...unlimited.html

I don't do the cel phone thing well, and I hate plans. I do Verizon $50 month prepaid unlimited text and talk. It has some internet, but nothing really works. They like to hide that they have it, but they do. I'm on it.

Straight Talk! It is ONLY $45 a month for the unlimited everything plan! That is IT! You do have to buy their phone but that is not big deal. The savings you will see will have the phone paid for in no time. The "secret" to know is to get a phone that ends in c. That means it works with the verison system. Around here that is the best service.

Hubby has the LG Olimpus (SP?) and LOVES it! Big enough screen to see pics but small enough to not be a bother.

Walmart has the phones and service cards. We have had it for over a year now and LOVE it1

How and you CAN keep your old number. Just make sure to leave you current phone active until you are all set up with the new phone.

Kim

1 members found this post helpful.

If you like the verizon service but don't want the contract, I highly recommend going with Page Plus. They are a verizon wholesaler and they buy "minutes" from verizon and utilize their cellular network, but are much cheaper. For $55 a month, I have unlimited talk, text and 2GB of data with my smartphone. My brother is a dealer for Page Plus and can activate any verizon phone on their network and he will do it for free. He can even port your current phone number from verizon. PM me if you'd like to get his info.

2 members found this post helpful.

We just switched from Verizon to Walmart Family Mobile. It's $45 for the first line $35 for each additional. The plan is unlimited talk, text, and data. I love it! We were with Verizon for many years but they priced us out of their plan. The only big expense is that because their is no contract you must purchase the phone outright with no discount. That hurt a little.

Walmart Family Mobile uses T-Mobile (and shares AT&T) towers; this is NOT as reliable as Verizon. But I have no complaints.

I have $39.99 unlimited talk/text through some little po-dunk local tech store, I'm not even sure what the actual company is providing the service, to be honest. It always works, I know that. No contract and I bought a $50 used phone for it, it has a camera and I've been able to send picture no problem.

When my parents are here during the summers I knock it down to a $12/month plan since they are who I talk to the most. When they left I bumped it back up.

Love it, after going a few rounds with AT&T last year.

I have virgin mobile- smartphone with unlimited txt pics and web costs me 25 month no contract. I get 300 minutes. My husband has the same, but 1200 minutes for 45 dollars a month. Love it!

My DH and I switched from AT&T Mobility to Cricket after getting 300.00 mo ph bills, dropped called and lousy reception when in our house. It's 45.00 mo per person, unlimited everything. No contract. Just need to pay bill on time or they shut you off. And they don't mail you a bill, but will text you a reminder. They have the new Iphones, (or more basic ones), and have been really good. You can take video, pics, talk, text, email, use internet...all unlimited. I'm really happy with them.
    And we got to keep our old phone numbers.

I second Straight Talk. I absolutey love it. $45 a month (plus $3 and a few cents in taxes-if you're wondering about taxes for these companies) for unlimited talk, text, and data (internet). I have mine set up to automatically refill every month. They send me a warning email saying that they are processing the bill, and then another email when they finalize it and my bill is paid (from my debit card/checking account). They have a mix of cheaper phones. And then smart phones also. I've got the LG Optimus Q which is a smart phone (supposedly runs off of sprint towers since it's a sprint phone). I do all of my internet activities on this phone since my laptop died a few months ago.

And yes, I was able to keep my number. The only problem I ran into was when I was entering info on the straight talk site, it asked for a pass code or something for my old company. I typed in a different wrong code because I wasn't sure if it was asking for the pin number or password to my old AT&T account. It was fixed with a call to Straight Talk. I believe that there was no point in time that I didn't have a working cell phone in the transfer over to the new phone and Straight Talk.

I have a pay as I go phone from AT&T for $50 per month for unlimited talk and text. Works for me.

I have a Boost Moble with their ulimited plan wihich means talk, text, pic, and data.
    The advantage to Boost is you may start out at 55$ a month but they have "srinkage" for every 6mths they reduce you payment buy 5$ till it gets to I think either 30 or 35$
    So far the only place I have not have coverage is in the deep hills of W Va.
    They to run off sprint towers.
    Friend of bar .ka

I will 3rd Straight Talk. Since I don't use my phone a great deal, I have the $30/mo card. Works great. My daughter uses Metro PCS since Straight Talk didn't have a fancy enough phone for her. IMHO, the Straight Talk phone service is much better. They do have a smart phone for around $179.

In the dark ages PPD phones had no service sometimes mostly out of area. Is that still true? Or get AT&T/Ver and that goes away?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Snowflake I may pm you in a few months about that! I just bought a phone from them and will be trying out their 12.00 package before making the final decision to switch in January. I hate Verizon because of their prices but other carriers don't have good coverage where I am. Since I want my daughter to have a cell for emergencies I bought their cheapest phone (I have no undamaged phones except for the one I'm using lol) and I'm going to use the cheapest plan to test it but will be switching 3 lines over when we're ready. The only issue I've heard about them is their lack of customer service but to be honest I think all of the prepaid carriers are bad with that lol. Thank you Sansena for starting this thread!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMet View Post
    Snowflake I may pm you in a few months about that! I just bought a phone from them and will be trying out their 12.00 package before making the final decision to switch in January. I hate Verizon because of their prices but other carriers don't have good coverage where I am. Since I want my daughter to have a cell for emergencies I bought their cheapest phone (I have no undamaged phones except for the one I'm using lol) and I'm going to use the cheapest plan to test it but will be switching 3 lines over when we're ready. The only issue I've heard about them is their lack of customer service but to be honest I think all of the prepaid carriers are bad with that lol. Thank you Sansena for starting this thread!
    They've gotten better with customer service. They now have an online chat feature that you can get things resolved pretty quickly without sitting on hold. I'll be honest, since signing up with them years ago, I've never really had to contact them for anything. It's all pretty much self service through the website which is simple. I love it and wouldn't go back to a contract (though I do miss my Helio phone - those were AWESOME!) We have to have verizon for where we live too and this is the cheapest and easiest way for us to have their network.

I have StraightTalk, BUT...I got on eBay and bought my own SmartPhone (a Nokia Lumia 900) I pay $43 every month, and get unlimited Talk, Text, (including MMS) and Data, BUT the Data is soft capped at 2G. My phone has AT&T coverage - which is better for our area then the StraightTalk Phones - and since it also has WiFi, I have NEVER gone over the 2G, and I use it a LOT...well, until I dropped the phone in the toilet...

If you DO decide to get StraightTalk, buy the SIM card pack at WalMart - it's about $15, but comes with several SIM cards (Micro SIM, Regular SIM, etc) These will work on any GSM phone. It took a little bit to set up the MMS - so I could send and receive texts - but after that, it's been great!

Oh - I was also able o keep my old number

Got my Pageplus phone and plan today, I had to call customer service because my internet screwed up while I was on the site but they answered within 2 minutes and the lady was great! I'm so excited to see how this goes because I badly want out of Verizon! I'm doing the 12.00 plan right now just to test everything until January and then I'll port everything over once I know the service is good.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.