The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind2 View Post
    The $250 for insurance would be made up of many cuts, not one. So yes, your $29 for a smartphone (which I do not have) would be a helpful cut. It is over 10% of the money you need. Somehow, I do not think you have really listened to Dave Ramsay, only heard the parts you wanted to hear.

The county services medical pool is still made up of other people's money. A little bit of yours too, but mostly other people's.

I doubt you would be eligible for workman's comp. That is not an automatic thing; it has to be paid into first. If you are considered self employed, you will not be eligible either.

An insurance card would probably have gotten you treated, with all the other stuff being hashed out - probably frustratingly - later.

And I repeat - if you cannot afford insurance, you should not be paying for school. I should not have to subsidize your health in order for you to go to school. Nobody did that for me and I didn't expect them to.

A thought - is there any sort of student insurance available to you? It is usually more affordable.

Liz

P.S. - Keep going back to Petco, Starbuck's etc. Let them see you. Smile. Be friendly. Smile. Smile. Show interest in the business. Smile. Good luck!
    I CANNOT CUT ANY FURTHER. I don't know how to make that more clear. I already said I wasn't going to school when the layoff was looming. I think you are reading what you want to read. I don't expect you to pay. I pay taxes just like you do. HER insurance ought to be paying for it. I just want to be taken care of so I don't hurt and am not left with issues like arthritis down the road...so I can get back to work, start earning money again and try to do better for myself.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    We are all one accident, layoff, or dx away from being royally screwed. Almost no amount of money most of us could save would sustain you either. Until it happens to someone you care about or love it is easier to pretend this isn't happening to people in the USA. I say a nightly prayer that my friend won't pass before she is able to see an ortho and oncologist. How awful is that? All because she had the misfortune to get VERY sick and not have parents to put her on their insurance.
    You are absolutely right. Nearly all of us are all just one big accident/illness away from disaster. But I haven't seen anybody on this thread say our system is working well and is satisfactory. I think we all think it sucks! We just don't agree, or perhaps know, what to do about it.

Something will be done, eventually, even if Romney undoes Obamacare (which isn't really Obamacare, but that's another discussion!) Because the system is going to fall apart. The fewer who buy health insurance because it is too expensive, the more it costs for the rest. And then more drop out because it is too expensive, so the higher the premiums go.... The math is inescapable. Something will be done eventually, probably after disaster strikes on a grand scale, and whatever is done will be painful for most people. Higher taxes, lesser care, etc.

Liz

2 members found this post helpful.

By the way, this was my third accident in 15 months. NONE of which have been my fault. Try recovering financially from that, Dave Ramsey or no (though I wasn't on the DR 'train' until after the first one IIRC). Again, maybe just need to go to that money tree in my backyard.......

And I repeat - if you cannot afford insurance, you should not be paying for school. I should not have to subsidize your health in order for you to go to school. Nobody did that for me and I didn't expect them to.
    Here's the thing .. the OP does not want you - or anyone (other than the person who HIT her and is at fault) to pay for her health care. The costs are being covered already by the at-fault parties insurance (and why she is in-elligble for other options that would otherwise be available with a horse or other health related incident - because there is an at fault party involved - who will already be covering the expense).

Even if she had health insurance, the costs would likely be covered by the at fault party (as you know, if you have been in an accident - your insurance will look to recoup the costs if there is an at fault party involved). If she had a $250 policy with a $3K deductible, and the insurance called to find out if she had used any of it - found out she hadn't and demanded the 3k up front? She would have been in the same situation. Should she be paying out the $250 a month and trying to save up 3K so that should she have a catastrophic injury or illness she is even able to afford her deductible?

Yes, health insurance should be a priority for everyone to have. But it sounds like OP was doing her best and had looked into other options - not like she was like oh i think i'll spend this money having a horse or other luxury items while sucking off the gov't teat for health care.

I actually happen to know the OP and she is probably one of the most financially responsible people I know. In fact, she helped me a great deal with getting my own finances prioritized and under control - and I have been able to pay off a significant amount of my own debt and better manage my own money because of it.

Additionally - I'm curious - does anyone here own a horse business? Do you pay your workers (who feed, clean all the stalls, and maintain the care of all your horses) enough that you think they can afford health insurance? Do you contribute to your full time workers health insurance? If you have one full time employee who runs the whole shebang (feeding, cleaning, full care, 6 days a week), do you expect them to be on call as needed or for emergencies, or would you think they would have enough time to both go to school and work another job?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    The way I understand his financial advice is that health insurance is a luxury here. It takes a LONG time to build up that 3-6 months of expenses when you are a single person not making much (btw, I stopped taking classes when I saw my layoff coming). I'm using that savings I do have to pay my rent and eat this month and next so i'm not homeless.

In addition the point here is not that I don't have health insurance, but that the woman who hit me SHOULD be paying for these expenses (via insurance), it was HER fault. I didn't do a damn thing wrong. And hell, there's no guarantee, if I had insurance, that it would have paid for this anyway, as many have stated.

Don't underestimate the possibility of ANY of you ending up in this situation.
    Take a look at his website and do a search for insurance. He clearly states that there are a few types of insurance that every person should have, and health insurance is included in that. When you work the Baby Steps, obtaining the proper insurance is included in Step 1 (or possibly pre-Step 1...look for the expanded Baby Steps). So it is definitely not an optional expense, unless you do not have enough money coming in to pay for food, utilities, rent, and transportation to and from work. In that case you have an income crisis and Dave suggests picking up extra jobs to get your income level up to an acceptable level to cover your basic needs. He very often suggests delivering pizzas, and he is not joking. The point is, you need to do the work to provide for your basic needs, even if that work is menial to you. And yes it does take a long time to save up 3-6 months of expenses when you don't make much, which is another reason he teaches picking up a second job (paper route is another one he often suggests) so you can get your emergency fund built up quickly. You said you have been working all of your adult life (7 years?). Was that not enough time to build up 3 months of expenses if you have been living modestly and below your means?

You also said that the point is not that you don't have health insurance but that the guilty party should be paying. I thought the point that you were making in your original post is that you are now a single issue voter because you don't have health insurance and want the government to pay for your healthcare? If the point was that you want the guilty party to pay, then why the rant about health insurance and wanting a government system instead of ranting about car insurance companies and doctor office policies not accepting third party billing? A government healthcare system has nothing to do with that, except that you would have been treated promptly. Which, if you had had health insurance or an emergency fund, you also would have been treated promptly. So it does seem like that is the point you are trying to make.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    And for the ones who say they don't want to pay more taxes to have health care... here is the Ontario premium rate chart...
    http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/heal...ium/rates.html
    Isn't $900/yr better than $900/month? and how long do you think it takes us to "recover" our premium? remember doctors' visits, lab tests, hospital stays, surgeries, radiation, chemo, etc. are all covered by this premium!
    Holy cow if I lived in Ontario my income tax last year would have been $1109 instead of $2871 and my health insurance $300 instead of $2269!!!!!!
    It can't be that cold there, right?
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by tbgurl View Post
    Take a look at his website and do a search for insurance. He clearly states that there are a few types of insurance that every person should have, and health insurance is included in that. When you work the Baby Steps, obtaining the proper insurance is included in Step 1 (or possibly pre-Step 1...look for the expanded Baby Steps). So it is definitely not an optional expense, unless you do not have enough money coming in to pay for food, utilities, rent, and transportation to and from work. In that case you have an income crisis and Dave suggests picking up extra jobs to get your income level up to an acceptable level to cover your basic needs. He very often suggests delivering pizzas, and he is not joking. The point is, you need to do the work to provide for your basic needs, even if that work is menial to you. And yes it does take a long time to save up 3-6 months of expenses when you don't make much, which is another reason he teaches picking up a second job (paper route is another one he often suggests) so you can get your emergency fund built up quickly. You said you have been working all of your adult life (7 years?). Was that not enough time to build up 3 months of expenses if you have been living modestly and below your means?

You also said that the point is not that you don't have health insurance but that the guilty party should be paying. I thought the point that you were making in your original post is that you are now a single issue voter because you don't have health insurance and want the government to pay for your healthcare? If the point was that you want the guilty party to pay, then why the rant about health insurance and wanting a government system instead of ranting about car insurance companies and doctor office policies not accepting third party billing? A government healthcare system has nothing to do with that, except that you would have been treated promptly. Which, if you had had health insurance or an emergency fund, you also would have been treated promptly. So it does seem like that is the point you are trying to make.
    1. I've only been aware of DR for about a year
    2. The book I have of his doesn't say anything about health insurance and it rarely comes up on the podcast
    3. I haven't always made as much as I do now, and until DR, had virtually no savings
    4. I already said multiple times I've applied for many non horse related jobs with no results, despite a professionally edited resume and great references.
    5. Pizzas and paper deliveries wouldn't make sense as it means significantly increased car maintenance costs which I definitely cannot afford right now, even if they would hire me
    6. I've been trying to save and have the emergency fund Dave recommends. This takes a long time and cannot be accomplished overnight, particularly when coupled with three car accidents and a layoff

If we had socialized healthcare, I would have been taken care of, or would have been able to afford a cheaper plan. And then they would have gone after the insurance company. I would not have been treated promptly - the plans I can't currently afford have an insanely high deductible, and the cash I do have saved is going towards my not being HOMELESS over the next two months.

3 members found this post helpful.

hAlter - This is my reasoning. She is in a hazardous industry by choice. She chooses to do this without insurance, which means she expects the rest of us to pay for her care in the (likely) case that she someday gets hurt in this hazardous job. She has enough money, apparently, to do a job she likes that doesn't pay well as long as she doesn't act responsibly and buy insurance. This path is easy for her to choose because she is gambling with other people's money.

If she had taken a different job that included insurance or paid more so she could buy insurance, her Vespa accident care would probably have taken a very different and better course. The other person might still have been responsible for her treatment - but she would have gotten treatment early based on her own insurance. We won't even get into the discussion of whether she would have needed to drive a Vespa or instead could have afforded a car that would have protected her more so that she might not even have been injured at all.

Life is made up of choices. Someone earlier pointed out that if she had admitted that she really screwed up and understood her mistakes, they would likely have started a Paypal fund for her. I might very well have contributed to it. I don't mind mistakes, and I like to help people who have learned from them.

It is fairly mindboggling to me that people can't see that the choices she made helped lead to her problems.

Liz

9 members found this post helpful.

By the way, this was my third accident in 15 months. NONE of which have been my fault. Try recovering financially from that, Dave Ramsey or no (though I wasn't on the DR 'train' until after the first one IIRC). Again, maybe just need to go to that money tree in my backyard.......
    And it didn't occur to you after the first one (or even two) that having health insurance ought to be a priority in case you get hurt?

I'm really not trying to be harsh, and the at-fault party's insurance will pay in the end. I'm sorry you hurt, but please, find a way to afford health insurance for the future. Since you can't afford the premium, is it also correct to say that you can't afford the necessary regular screenings (exam/pap smear, for example)? That isn't good. I know the job market is kind of crappy, but keep trying.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

6 members found this post helpful.

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/wh...ney_insurance/

And

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/se...ney_insurance/

There are tons of great info and resources on his website. Lots of ideas for extra jobs, too. Not all of them are delivery jobs, either. But maybe try looking into your increased maintenance costs vs. the potential increased income before dismissing it entirely. You have an income crisis and you have to be willing to do the work to change that. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

I CANNOT CUT ANY FURTHER. I don't know how to make that more clear. I already said I wasn't going to school when the layoff was looming. I think you are reading what you want to read. I don't expect you to pay. I pay taxes just like you do. HER insurance ought to be paying for it. I just want to be taken care of so I don't hurt and am not left with issues like arthritis down the road...so I can get back to work, start earning money again and try to do better for myself.
    Run, don't walk, to your local, nasty, most aggressive auto liability lawyer in town. And before you go, let the insurance company know where you're headed. Things might just magically solve themselves.

It worked quite well for my daughter who was injured in an auto accident. Two hours later, we had a claim #.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

If she had taken a different job that included insurance or paid more so she could buy insurance, her Vespa accident care would probably have taken a very different and better course. The other person might still have been responsible for her treatment - but she would have gotten treatment early based on her own insurance..

Liz
    That's just flat out not true. Her insurance company would not approve the surgery as soon as they found out it was an auto accident. Prior approval is needed for almost every insurance policy for surgery.

She needs a lawyer for this incident. But it's just crazy to go without insurance. Suppose she was walking down the street and was hit by a hit and run driver.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post
    Additionally - I'm curious - does anyone here own a horse business? Do you pay your workers (who feed, clean all the stalls, and maintain the care of all your horses) enough that you think they can afford health insurance? Do you contribute to your full time workers health insurance?
    I don't, but expect most equine businesses have under 50 full-time employees so they wouldn't legally need to provide health coverage anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

hAlter - This is my reasoning. She is in a hazardous industry by choice. She chooses to do this without insurance, which means she expects the rest of us to pay for her care in the (likely) case that she someday gets hurt in this hazardous job. She has enough money, apparently, to do a job she likes that doesn't pay well as long as she doesn't act responsibly and buy insurance. This path is easy for her to choose because she is gambling with other people's money.

If she had taken a different job that included insurance or paid more so she could buy insurance, her Vespa accident care would probably have taken a very different and better course. The other person might still have been responsible for her treatment - but she would have gotten treatment early based on her own insurance. We won't even get into the discussion of whether she would have needed to drive a Vespa or instead could have afforded a car that would have protected her more so that she might not even have been injured at all.

Life is made up of choices. Someone earlier pointed out that if she had admitted that she really screwed up and understood her mistakes, they would likely have started a Paypal fund for her. I might very well have contributed to it. I don't mind mistakes, and I like to help people who have learned from them.

It is fairly mindboggling to me that people can't see that the choices she made helped lead to her problems.

Liz

No one is saying that the choices she made did not help lead to her problems.

But no where is she saying that she is expecting anyone else to pay for her medical care either. She is not asking for handouts here. It is mindboggling to me that people see this as OP asking for handouts (a paypal account for donations? Really?).

OP is a young adult in a seriously struggling job market/economy - one who is trying to be a self sufficient adult while trying to acquire the skills needed to get one of those higher paying jobs you talk about her having. I'm sure we all want to have jobs that pay more and have benefits. In the job market for a young adult without a degree (and even with) a lot of us are lucky to have jobs at all right now. Sometimes you have to utilize the skills you have to get the job that you can that will at least sustain you for the time being, until you CAN get a better, higher paying job down the line.

OP is not choosing to shovel shit instead of working a higher paying desk job because she enjoys shoveling manure 3 hours a day. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with the options available to you. That should not mean that you are denied medical care. Especially when there is an at fault party who WILL be accountable for the costs involved.

Quote Originally Posted by paintlady View Post
    Copying this from a friend's post on Facebook... he used to be a tried-and-true Republican, but is voting for President Obama this year, in part, because he supports "Obamacare."

-----------------

Like I said, because of Obamacare, I have saved Thousands of dollars this year - just because many of those changes were incorporated into some of the Federal Health Insurance Plans early. This is how Obamacare is supposed to work, and people are being told nightmare stories about how they'll end up paying more, or they're being given misinformation. Let me just say "Those stories are not true! You'll actually end up paying less for health care services, much, much less. I know that for a fact!"

I want to warn those of you who have high health care costs now, those who are being treated for illnesses that cost quite a bit for health care. Illnesses such as Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc. Under Obamacare you will be taken care of, don't listen to the misinformation being spread around, do your own research - you'll find out that you will do better than you realize, you will do much, much better than if you were under a "voucher" plan where you'll be restricted to choosing only the plans you can afford, the cheapest ones, the one's that might not have the coverage's you need.
    The reason he is saving thousands of dollars is because somebody else is paying those thousands of dollars for him. I would love it if the government forces somebody else to pay whatever I desire too. snort.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That's just flat out not true. Her insurance company would not approve the surgery as soon as they found out it was an auto accident. Prior approval is needed for almost every insurance policy for surgery.

She needs a lawyer for this incident. But it's just crazy to go without insurance. Suppose she was walking down the street and was hit by a hit and run driver.
    Absolutely, prior approval is needed for non emergencies. But health insurance companies will pay. Ay least, mine will. They will eventually get their money back from the at-fault person's insurance company or a court settlement, but you will at least get treated.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I got the same message.

"The zip code you entered is in an uncovered area."
    I'm not quite sure how I managed it, but somehow I linked to a Wisconsin only plan. Here is the GA one, but I'm not sure if they have it in your states: http://docs.bcbsga.com/wellpoint/doc...=GABR40004SPP2
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

hAlterhorse, ONCE AGAIN, I did not say she was asking for handouts.

I thought education, including learning to read for comprehension, was free.

A moot point since I "disgust her" for being a voice of reason.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

This is weird. There must be some way to get it for free. I have done some clinics in hospitals when I was in EMT school. We're in So Cal and there were a lot of people from Mexico coming over the border specifically for free medical care. One guy was in a bus crash and got patched up enough so he could make it over the border to a US hospital. It wasn't a county hospital, but St Marys, catholic hospital, so maybe they help the poor. There were a lot of homeless in there and stuff, as well as just regular emergencies. So there must be someplace to go get care.

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post
    No one is saying that the choices she made did not help lead to her problems.

But no where is she saying that she is expecting anyone else to pay for her medical care either. She is not asking for handouts here. It is mindboggling to me that people see this as OP asking for handouts
    Of course she is asking for handouts. She continues to work in the horse industry without insurance. If she bought insurance to cover this hazardous job, she apparently could not afford this job. If she gets hurt she expects us to pay for it. That is a handout.

Because she didn't have insurance, her recent accident has become more complicated.

We are not going to agree on this, and I've pretty much made the points I want to - hate to be a bore! - so I will bow out.

Best luck to the OP, and I hope she gets a great job soon!

Liz