The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 259
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2000
    Location
    Ellijay, GA
    Posts
    6,006

    Default

    I do medical billing for a decent sized medical campus (in my area at least)...we DO NOT accept auto insurance claims either...why? Well, because lets say a person has $5000 worth of medical coverage on their auto insurance, there is NO WAY of knowing how much of that they have already used, unlike traditional insurance, I can call and ask how much deductible, out of pocket, etc the person has met. It can take YEARS for auto insurance companies to pay out medical claims. They pay auto damage claims first, then consider medical claims. If the case is disupted at all and God Forbid goes to court, forget it, your Drs will be waiting forever for their money.

    We just cant afford to take it and sit and wait, I would think some place large like a hospital could though.

    I know people think its the Dr's screwing the insurance companies and making $$$$$....thats not always the case. We bill $90 for a normal office visit...you come in and spend about 30ish min with your Dr discussing whatever and we bill your insurance $90. They say you pay us a $40 co pay and they actually send us a check for $27.31...so thats a total of 67.31 for that time. Times that by the 40ish patients your Dr sees a day and thats just under $3k...some patients dont have insurance and some have better insurance so that number could fluxuate of course. For those with insurance, wiat 30-45 days for those insurance companies to processes and pay claims. Now, pay thats Drs staff of nurses, receptionists, and billers. Throw in rent, malpractice insurance, computers, etc....they dont REALLY make that much $$$. At least not family practice Drs in a rural area.

    I dont know what the solution is
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2000
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    9,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paintlady View Post
    Copying this from a friend's post on Facebook... he used to be a tried-and-true Republican, but is voting for President Obama this year, in part, because he supports "Obamacare."

    -----------------

    Why? Because under my new plan, I no longer had to pay co-pays for visits to my Primary Care Doctor - last year I paid $20 per visit, and since I see him once per month, I saved $240 right there. And because of that change, I no longer had to pay to see my Counselor, and I see her just about every week - so that saved me approximately 48 weeks x $20 = $960.00. In addition, I no longer had to pay to see my Psychiatrist for medication management - that saved me $20 x 12 = $240. So in Doctor co-pays alone, I saved $1440. That's a lot when you're on a fixed income. But the biggest amounts I saved were on prescription meds - I no longer had co-pays on any generic medicine, no co-pays at all - where last year I paid $10 per script. And, since I take about 10 generics per month, that alone saved me $100 per month, or $1200 for the year. My other co-pays remained the same - the one's for visiting Specialist Doctors, and for Brand Name Medicines. However, my plan now included prescription meds in with the out-of-pocket-max for the year. My old plan did not. Because of that, and because I used 4 brand name meds per month, I've already reached my out-of-pocket maximum for the year 2012 - so I no longer have to pay for any prescription meds, brand names included.

    Like I said, because of Obamacare, I have saved Thousands of dollars this year - just because many of those changes were incorporated into some of the Federal Health Insurance Plans early. This is how Obamacare is supposed to work, and people are being told nightmare stories about how they'll end up paying more, or they're being given misinformation. Let me just say "Those stories are not true! You'll actually end up paying less for health care services, much, much less. I know that for a fact!"
    As for the FB example given above, everyone should read about the Independent Payment Advisory Board. Folks that are outraged about having to present a simple photo ID to vote tomorrow (or in the future) are going to be in for a shock when the un-elected govt committee starts exercising their power.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    703

    Default

    OP, I noticed you mentioned that Dave Ramsey is your favorite financial guru. He is my favorite, too. I have read almost every book he has written, everything he has put on his website, and have listened to his radio show for years. I'm not sure how much of him you have read or listened to, but there seem to be a few principles of his that you either missed or have chosen not to follow. The biggest one being that he is a big believer in keeping yourself insured with health insurance. He gets many callers into his show who are nearly financially ruined because they elected not to buy health insurance and then had a major medical event. In cases like yours where you say you could not afford the $250 per month premium, I am fairly certain he would advise that you cannot then afford to be going to school since health insurance is the priority. I am also fairly certain he would advise either stop taking classes and use that money to pay for the premium, or finding a job that does offer health insurance, or taking a second job to allow you to make enough to cover the premium. Everything I have heard from him is pretty obvious that he believes school is a luxury if you cannot afford your basic bills (which health insurance is a basic bill). Even barring all of this, he also teaches that you should have 3 to 6 months worth of expenses saved in an emergency fund to cover just the sort of situation you found yourself in. If you had done that, you could have paid the cash upfront and not had to wait for care. You said you were piling up cash after you were laid off, if I remember correctly. You waited until the storm hit to begin planning for it, which is completely backwards from what Dave teaches. If you were able to pile up cash after the storm hit, why couldn't you have done that before it hit and had a nice emergency fund ready?

    Please don't think that I don't feel bad that you were in this situation because it does suck. I have been in the uninsured boat when my husband separated from the military and we thought we couldn't afford the Cobra payments until the insurance at his new job kicked in. So of course that three month span is when he needed to visit the emergency room because a cyst in his neck swelled up and started cutting off his breathing. CT scans are quite expensive, we found out. Luckily he didn't need surgery until after his insurance kicked in, but we still incurred thousands of dollars worth of bills. We negotiated with the hospital and got a couple of bills reduced, and made payments on the rest. We also sold our horse trailer to pay off the largest bill. It sucked but we considered it an important lesson learned that we will not go without health insurance again.[SIZE=2] We also learned to plan ahead for large expenses, such as the Cobra bill we knew was coming but buried our heads in the sand about.[/SIZE]
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind2 View Post
    The reason I've not been sympathetic is that I've seen too many people plead penury when they have smart phones (I don't), eat at fast-food joints regularly (I don't), have cable (I don't), etc. They consider these things necessities - it boggles my mind. If she tells me she doesn't have any of these things or do any of these things, then I will be a little more sympathetic.

    But! She has a hazardous job and doesn't pay for health insurance. That means she expects us to take care of her if/when she is hurt. Working with horses is a crapshoot, as we all know. This time she was in an auto accident; the next time it may well be an accident on her job.

    I sympathize with her desire to improve her life by going to school, but not if it means I have to pay for her health treatments. Taking care of your own health is part of being a responsible adult, and choosing not to do hazardous things if you cannot afford insurance is a corollary. If she cannot afford both school and health insurance, then she should choose health insurance - or at the very least, get a safer job.

    I once took a job painting shoes at a cheerleader supply factory only because it had health insurance. I was a trained and experienced journalist but couldn't get a job doing that at the time. So I painted shoes rather than go without health insurance. That's how important I think it is.

    All that said, I wish we had universal health care and would be willing to pay higher taxes for it.

    Liz
    I already told you I live very modestly. I budget very tightly every month (and subscribe to Dave Ramsey's ideas of not being in debt, having a written monthly budget etc). I do have basic cable (but my utilities are included in my rent, and my roommates use it). I do have a smartphone but it's older and the cost between a non-smartphone plan and the one I have is $29. Which won't buy insurance anywhere that I have found. Not that I need to explain or justify this to anyone........

    If I were hurt on the job then workman's comp would be at play, or I would be eligible for the county medical services pool. I am not currently eligible because there is at an fault party (the woman who hit me), and they cannot give me funding that someone else is responsible for (her insurance)

    Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    OP, couldn't you have gone to a county hospital? Not fun, I know, but I think they would have taken you and fixed you up. They take everybody from what I hear.
    My understanding is there are no 'county' hospitals here, you apply for the aforementioned CMSP after you go to the ER/specialist, for which most people of my income level are eligible (except this whole at-fault-party issue).

    Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I love everyone that says "the rich Canadians go to the US for things so their universal care must suck." The rich here get treated better too, hello! And I pulled out my paycheck while I was reading this and realized that my insurance premiums + income taxes already take 55% of my pay, so the 50% bracket in Canada sounds pretty good to me. Too bad about the cold weather!

    And one more thing. People with money sometimes misunderstand the word "afford." When they can't afford something, it means the money is budgeted elsewhere or is in savings. When I can't "afford" something, the money DOES NOT EXIST. I work 2 jobs so I don't have to say it often, but I still have to say it sometimes and it REALLY pisses me off when people don't get it.
    You get it. There's nowhere else for me to trim.


    Obamacare is a factor in all this for a couple of reasons:
    1. If we had universal healthcare (as it was supposed to be before the GOP got their claws into it), I'd have been taken care of, payment would have been worked out later
    2. It would likely bring down premiums enough that I could potentially afford it
    3. Even if it didn't, at my income level right now (essentially unemployed) it would likely be subsidized
    4. Your tax dollars wouldn't be paying for me in this situation anyway - her insurance WILL be paying for all of this eventually


    4 members found this post helpful.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    Oh, in the weeks between being laid off and getting the part time job, I applied to around 20 non horse related jobs at a variety of well known corporations (Starbucks, Petsmart, Petco, Best Buy...you name it I probably applied). I got no callbacks despite a professionally-edited resume and cover letter, and some serious pounding of pavement. So again, if I could get the benefits that some of these corporations provide, I would.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jun. 11, 2003
    Posts
    425

    Default

    OP may have made an error in judgment to work in a high risk industry without insurance because a freak accident resulting in 6 figure medical bills is conceivable.

    But on her specific facts, it may have been irrelevant if the deductible had been almost as much as the surgical cost. I am Canadian and I dont pretend to understand all of this but what happens in such a case? If one has insurance with a high deductible, does the insured pay the deductible up front to the hospital and then the insurer pays the rest? If so, OP still would not have gotten the care she needed in a timely manner.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbgurl View Post
    OP, I noticed you mentioned that Dave Ramsey is your favorite financial guru. He is my favorite, too. I have read almost every book he has written, everything he has put on his website, and have listened to his radio show for years. I'm not sure how much of him you have read or listened to, but there seem to be a few principles of his that you either missed or have chosen not to follow. The biggest one being that he is a big believer in keeping yourself insured with health insurance. He gets many callers into his show who are nearly financially ruined because they elected not to buy health insurance and then had a major medical event. In cases like yours where you say you could not afford the $250 per month premium, I am fairly certain he would advise that you cannot then afford to be going to school since health insurance is the priority. I am also fairly certain he would advise either stop taking classes and use that money to pay for the premium, or finding a job that does offer health insurance, or taking a second job to allow you to make enough to cover the premium. Everything I have heard from him is pretty obvious that he believes school is a luxury if you cannot afford your basic bills (which health insurance is a basic bill). Even barring all of this, he also teaches that you should have 3 to 6 months worth of expenses saved in an emergency fund to cover just the sort of situation you found yourself in. If you had done that, you could have paid the cash upfront and not had to wait for care. You said you were piling up cash after you were laid off, if I remember correctly. You waited until the storm hit to begin planning for it, which is completely backwards from what Dave teaches. If you were able to pile up cash after the storm hit, why couldn't you have done that before it hit and had a nice emergency fund ready?

    Please don't think that I don't feel bad that you were in this situation because it does suck. I have been in the uninsured boat when my husband separated from the military and we thought we couldn't afford the Cobra payments until the insurance at his new job kicked in. So of course that three month span is when he needed to visit the emergency room because a cyst in his neck swelled up and started cutting off his breathing. CT scans are quite expensive, we found out. Luckily he didn't need surgery until after his insurance kicked in, but we still incurred thousands of dollars worth of bills. We negotiated with the hospital and got a couple of bills reduced, and made payments on the rest. We also sold our horse trailer to pay off the largest bill. It sucked but we considered it an important lesson learned that we will not go without health insurance again.[SIZE=2] We also learned to plan ahead for large expenses, such as the Cobra bill we knew was coming but buried our heads in the sand about.[/SIZE]
    The way I understand his financial advice is that health insurance is a luxury here. It takes a LONG time to build up that 3-6 months of expenses when you are a single person not making much (btw, I stopped taking classes when I saw my layoff coming). I'm using that savings I do have to pay my rent and eat this month and next so i'm not homeless.

    In addition the point here is not that I don't have health insurance, but that the woman who hit me SHOULD be paying for these expenses (via insurance), it was HER fault. I didn't do a damn thing wrong. And hell, there's no guarantee, if I had insurance, that it would have paid for this anyway, as many have stated.

    Don't underestimate the possibility of ANY of you ending up in this situation.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    OP, when I had individual health insurance I had the Anthem SmartSense plan. It was about $85 a month and had a $2,500 deductible and did not cover anything (including annual exams and other routine examinations) until you had met the deductible. However, I was pretty sure I would only need it if I fell off a horse or had some other large accident like yours and then I would meet my deductible and be covered thereafter. Sounds like this would have been a good plan for you. Here's the link if you want more info: http://www.anthem.com/wps/portal/ahp...bel=SmartSense
    Not available in my zipcode



  9. #129

    Default

    I have a friend who has a brain tumor that is inoperable, seizures (multiple bad ones/day), and now pain in her leg was seen to be a tumor munching it's way thru her tibia when she went to the ER. Her state won't approve her Medicade for at least 6 months despite her being told the tumor in her leg is almost a given to be cancer. She can't get refills on her seizure meds either so she has to wait until she runs out, has an emergency (aka, BAD seizure day), and then she returns to the ER where she is given rx for another 30 days of seizure meds.

    The system is totally screwed up and the insured already pay for the uninsured b/c the ER is the only healthcare anyone has access to and they often default on those bills. So, yeah... I'm for Obamacare. Why health care has to be for (unlimited) profit is beyond me.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann


    5 members found this post helpful.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2007
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I also have a personal story about why this is so important, although it happened to my mom, not me.

    She was laid off of her job in 2009 and after looking for a while, opted to retire (she was 63 and wanted to retire anyway, it just came a little earlier than she was expecting). My dad is older and retired and covered by medicare, but she wouldn't be eligible for a few months after her COBRA would've run out. No big deal, they would just buy insurance for a few months to cover the gap, right? Well right at the end of her COBRA period, she was diagnosed with a very rare type of lymphoma. She had no symptoms but was doing a blood test for something else and her white blood cell count was high. Further testing had to be done, including a bone marrow biopsy, and she was diagnosed with this. Totally scary, totally unexpected.

    Of course now she is unable to buy a policy to tide her over because she has a pre-existing condition. My parents were always responsible; insisted that I buy a high-deductible policy just in case when I was working on a horse farm and didn't have health insurance (I did, but this is when you could get one for only about $50 a month). They knew that it could bankrupt me (and them) if I had a serious accident and wasn't covered.

    So my mom is facing a totally unexpected diagnosis of cancer and all the associated testing and appointments and on top of that, the scary thought that she has to go several months with no insurance! What if she was in a car accident? What if her doctors wanted to start her on chemo right away? What if her lack of access to treatment would be a life or death situation for her?? All of a sudden my parents are googling to see how much chemo costs out of pocket...at a time when they were terrified by the diagnosis alone and were now facing having to blow their retirement savings on medical bills.

    It was absolutely awful and so stressful and something nobody should ever have to go through when they're already freaking out about diagnosis of cancer (or anything else). And there was nothing she could do because she simply could not buy insurance for any amount of money.

    Luckily the state she is in had a stop-gap policy that she qualified for, so she was able to get that in place until Medicare kicked in. And also very fortunately her cancer continues to be just "lurking" and she is asymptomatic for now, so her doctors don't want to do any treatments at this time.

    I don't know how she could've been more responsible, or planned ahead for this. And although I would vote for Obama anyway, I hope others will read this and think of how close they might come to something similar if god forbid they found themselves in situation like this.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2006
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    If one has insurance with a high deductible, does the insured pay the deductible up front to the hospital and then the insurer pays the rest? If so, OP still would not have gotten the care she needed in a timely manner.
    No. The hospital does not know what your deductible or copays are. They see you have a valid insurance card, take it and treat you. Even so, the whole procedure can be messy and frustrating, as other posters have said. And later, you may have to fight with the insurance company and even the hospital and doctors. Still, at least you are not mooching off of others who do buy health insurance.

    Liz


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2000
    Location
    Ellijay, GA
    Posts
    6,006

    Default

    To whomever asked, it depends on the hospital in regards to if you have to pay your deductible up front.

    Last year when I had my baby the OB's office wanted my $3k deductible up front, before week 36 of the pregnancy...keep in mind that in the case of pregnancies the delivery services are not billed until after you have the baby, so, you are paying for services you havent recieved yet. When I was in labor and we went to the hospital, upon check in, the hospital also wanted that same $3k deductible up front since my deductible had not been met, even though I had already paid it to the OB;s office in advance per their policy. So, I had to pay a total of $6k up front to have my child and then wait for someone to refund me.

    The hospital got their charges in first, so I had to wait for the OB to bill for her services and then request my refund and wait for it...THAT was a nightmare. Turns out they want their money NOW, but when its your money they are holding they dont want to let it go...

    But I have gone to the ER before knowing I had not met my deductible, it was around 2am so I anot sure if that had anything to do with it...they billed my insurance and then sent me a bill.

    Prairewind...its EASY for the hospital and Dr's to find out all of that info...they call the automated provider line and viola, there it all is...its standard practice that they call to make sure your insurance is actually valid and to see what your benefits include. It may be a bit different if you are trucked into the ER via amblulance, but I assure you, if the OP went to the ER and an orthopedic on staff scheduled her for surgery, at the least the Orthos office would have called to check benefits.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind2 View Post
    No. The hospital does not know what your deductible or copays are. They see you have a valid insurance card, take it and treat you. Even so, the whole procedure can be messy and frustrating, as other posters have said. And later, you may have to fight with the insurance company and even the hospital and doctors. Still, at least you are not mooching off of others who do buy health insurance.

    Liz
    Depends.
    My daughter had major knee surgery this summer and both the surgeon and the hospital took our insurance information, called the ins. company, and then contacted us and said we must pay $XXXX up front, which was their estimate of what the total deductable and co-pay portions would be.

    They required it be paid before they would put her on the surgery schedule.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    Not available in my zipcode
    I got the same message.

    "The zip code you entered is in an uncovered area."



  15. #135
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    To whomever asked, it depends on the hospital in regards to if you have to pay your deductible up front.

    The hospital got their charges in first, so I had to wait for the OB to bill for her services and then request my refund and wait for it...THAT was a nightmare. Turns out they want their money NOW, but when its your money they are holding they dont want to let it go...

    But I have gone to the ER before knowing I had not met my deductible, it was around 2am so I anot sure if that had anything to do with it...they billed my insurance and then sent me a bill.

    Prairewind...its EASY for the hospital and Dr's to find out all of that info...they call the automated provider line and viola, there it all is...its standard practice that they call to make sure your insurance is actually valid and to see what your benefits include. It may be a bit different if you are trucked into the ER via amblulance, but I assure you, if the OP went to the ER and an orthopedic on staff scheduled her for surgery, at the least the Orthos office would have called to check benefits.
    Yep, and they flat out told me they wouldn't accept my car insurance.

    Which I understand...all these people have to be paid, doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, desk staff, the titanium pins and plate, and bone graft that are now in my wrist...none of that is free. Someone's gotta pay for it...and a small practice especially can't necessarily absorb those costs.

    But meanwhile, I use my hands for everything (I used to take for granted shaving my left armpit...lol...and writing left handed?! Yikes), let alone in my job. All I wanted was to be fixed and get back to work...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Feb. 15, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    7,454

    Default

    I agree with the OP who said most Americans plug their ears because they don't want to even THINK it could be better somewhere else...
    I know there can be waiting times for tests and surgeries, BUT it is also available faster IF you are willing to go to a different hospital...
    My husband injured his knee in July, went to see his GP who made an appt to a local ortho surgeon (and my husband did not like that guy to start with). After a couple of weeks, he asked his family doctor to find him someone else sooner. Yes, it involved driving 45 min. south of here, but he saw the doctor within 10 days, had arthroscopic surgery within 3!! On his second check up after surgery (would have been at the end of October), he mentioned pain in his hip... xrays and the surgeon agreed he would be a good candidate for hip replacement. That happened Dec. 4th!!! why? because people (probably the ones complaining about the length of time etc.) could not be bothered to have surgery in Dec. before Christmas!!! Within 6 weeks after surgery, he was back to taking hour long hikes in the countryside with the dog!
    My case: pain in breast, ultrasound, ultrasound with fine needle biopsy, surgeon visit, and surgery (still no def. dx) within 6 weeks. It did take another 3 weeks to get results BUT "it" was out! Within two weeks of results, I had met my previous oncologist, had had a bone scan, a chest xray and liver/abdomen u/s, had met with the radiation oncologist and had had my measurements taken. Another week and radiation started...
    No battle with insurance, no approval needed and so far, nothing out of pocket!

    But it can't be... right? because a friend of a friend said... never mind my experience!
    In my city, wait for MRI "can" be 40 days, but drive 45 min. north... 13 days! If it is an emergency, you get it right away! Geez and all the professionals athletes get to the start of the line of course!
    And for the ones who say they don't want to pay more taxes to have health care... here is the Ontario premium rate chart...
    http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/heal...ium/rates.html
    Isn't $900/yr better than $900/month? and how long do you think it takes us to "recover" our premium? remember doctors' visits, lab tests, hospital stays, surgeries, radiation, chemo, etc. are all covered by this premium!

    People say you have to be your own advocate! Yes, you have to be willing to go where the treatment is available if you can which helps people who cannot travel move up the line. And when the "rich" decide to go down south... good for them, patience is not their best trait most of the time, and again, they allow others to move up. Also, sometimes, if the treatment is not available in the province, the government will agree to travel to the US and will pick up the tab.
    I am not sure on the details, but my ex husband was being treated in Buffalo instead of Toronto for his cancer - at the government expense, not his.

    I have other examples of treatments in the US (luckily to people with out of country insurance) which were totally unnecessary but meant to cover the hospitals/doctors' a....es in case of malpractice. In one case, the patient insurance co. insisted the patient came back to Canada (flight paid for 2), did all the tests they deemed necessary and had a dx within days ... nowhere as dire as what the American doctors were thinking...

    But you know better because you heard it from ....


    7 members found this post helpful.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2006
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    I do have a smartphone but it's older and the cost between a non-smartphone plan and the one I have is $29. Which won't buy insurance anywhere that I have found. Not that I need to explain or justify this to anyone........

    If I were hurt on the job then workman's comp would be at play, or I would be eligible for the county medical services pool. I am not currently eligible because there is at an fault party (the woman who hit me), and they cannot give me funding that someone else is responsible for (her insurance)

    You get it. There's nowhere else for me to trim.
    The $250 for insurance would be made up of many cuts, not one. So yes, your $29 for a smartphone (which I do not have) would be a helpful cut. It is over 10% of the money you need. Somehow, I do not think you have really listened to Dave Ramsay, only heard the parts you wanted to hear.

    The county services medical pool is still made up of other people's money. A little bit of yours too, but mostly other people's.

    I doubt you would be eligible for workman's comp. That is not an automatic thing; it has to be paid into first. If you are considered self employed, you will not be eligible either.

    An insurance card would probably have gotten you treated, with all the other stuff being hashed out - probably frustratingly - later.

    And I repeat - if you cannot afford insurance, you should not be paying for school. I should not have to subsidize your health in order for you to go to school. Nobody did that for me and I didn't expect them to.

    A thought - is there any sort of student insurance available to you? It is usually more affordable.

    Liz

    P.S. - Keep going back to Petco, Starbuck's etc. Let them see you. Smile. Be friendly. Smile. Smile. Show interest in the business. Smile. Good luck!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2000
    Posts
    9,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind2 View Post
    No. The hospital does not know what your deductible or copays are. They see you have a valid insurance card, take it and treat you.
    Not sure what kind of hospital you have been dealing with, but mine verifies deductibles and co-pays with my insurance carrier. I have been in for emergencies three times in the past 10 months (two strokes and one head injury), and even during "off hours", they get in touch with my carrier pretty quickly and find out where I stand regarding deductibles and co-pays. I was in late yesterday afternoon for about 3 hours or so, and the hospital insurance analyst confirmed within the first hour that I had already met my annual deductible and annual co-pay minimum.



  19. #139

    Default

    I will also say too that I am medically pulled from work. I'm in the process of applying for disability, but when I was first out of work and officially let go by my employer they didn't send COBRA paperwork. Instead, what I got first was a "direct enroll" option from the insurance company. The policy that was costing me a couple hundred per month was now going to cost me over $1300/month AND I'd still have a high deductible plan. Remember, I wasn't working. Where do I come up with the money? I have SEVERAL life threatening issues and many pre-existing conditions. I did finally navigate the system and was lucky to get emergency processing for state assisted health insurance but others, like my friend in a different state, are not so lucky.

    We are all one accident, layoff, or dx away from being royally screwed. Almost no amount of money most of us could save would sustain you either. Until it happens to someone you care about or love it is easier to pretend this isn't happening to people in the USA. I say a nightly prayer that my friend won't pass before she is able to see an ortho and oncologist. How awful is that? All because she had the misfortune to get VERY sick and not have parents to put her on their insurance.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann


    2 members found this post helpful.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2006
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Moon - Thanks for the info. We haven't had any major things done and nobody's ever checked - or at least said they have - on our deductible for the small things. I'm sure they've checked to see that we really have insurance. Be stupid not to!

    Liz



Similar Threads

  1. broken wrist
    By charismaryllis in forum Equestrians with Disabilities
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Apr. 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
  2. broken wrist--healing, riding and experiences?
    By ayrabz in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar. 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
  3. What to do? Broken Wrist
    By ridingmomof3 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb. 8, 2011, 02:17 AM
  4. Getting back in the saddle after broken wrist
    By tothepointe in forum Equestrians with Disabilities
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Dec. 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
  5. broken wrist
    By MH.indy in forum Eventing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar. 9, 2009, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness