The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    NOT EVERY ONE IS INDEPENDENT! Not everyone lives by themselves. Some people are still dependents. Are still high school or college students. Or elderly, with set patterns that don't vary. OR homeless... homeless people deserve to vote to. No... they don't need ID to live on the streets or in shelters. But they still have the right to vote! You don't have to be "landed" to vote in this country.

Frankly, I don't get how people don't understand this.
    This - 100 times this.

Thanks Cielo.

3 members found this post helpful.

How 'bout that lov-er-ly "Truth the Vote" group? Makes ya proud...doesn't it?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    EXACTLY.
    I agree with the idea on principle, and if it's going to be done, then go the whole hog and make it national and the same for everyone.

But I don't believe for ONE MINUTE that the reason that conservatives are so gung-ho on this is all principled and above board. The real reason is insidious form of voter suppression, namely of voters they know are likely to vote Democratic.
    How about keeping people who have no legal right to be here from voting in our elections. If you are not a citizen, then you don't get a say so in our laws, regardless of how hard you work or if you have taxes taken out of your check and put into some sap's Social Security account because you bought a stolen SS card. Oh wait, that doesn't happen ever does it???

(YOU in this case is broad not specific)

Should we just take someones word on whether they are legally allowed to vote? No. We should not.

I go to the same doc that I have had, my kids have had, and my husband has had for 8 yrs. The receptionist knows us. Her dh works w/ my dh. We run inthe same circles. Her boss, my doc-knows me. I went to school with her brother inlaw. Guess what...every time I go in, I have to have my drivers license scanned before I get seen.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

7 members found this post helpful.

The question should perhaps be why do the Dems hate the idea of IDs for voting? It gets in the way of voter fraud. Acorn registered Adolph Hitler, Mickey Mouse etc....busloads of Somalis that couldn't speak english voting in Ohio...no problem there.

Strangely enough, to get into the Dem convention...Oops, photo IDs, to get into union meetings...that photo ID card again. Hmmm, book signing by Eric Holder and Michelle O...yep, once again photo ID. So, when people want to attend Democrat book signings, conventions or union meetings ID's are really important...but when voting (one of our most important rights), Democrat fraud is more important that accuracy.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

16 members found this post helpful.

I think it's insulting that Dems assume the poor and needy are so dumb they can't figure out a way to get a photo ID. Additionally, how are these same people able to get food stamps and financial aide without a photo ID? I'm sick of being required to produce proper ID to do almost everything anymore yet witness others getting a free ride b/c their poor and indigent. I've been one paycheck away from homeless but managed to maintain some type of photo ID. It CAN be done. I think states should offer programs that send people out to help people get photo ID. Back to lurking...
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

10 members found this post helpful.

"Or elderly, with set patterns that don't vary."
    My 102 year old neighbor will be voting. He has long since had a drivers licence. I have lived here over 30 years and never seen him drive, but he has a voter id card, and utility bills, plus I am sure the workers know him because he votes in EVERY election. If an elderly or infirm person doesn't want to 'ask' for someone to help them get an id, how are they going to vote?
    Like someone else said, if it means something to you, you will find a way for it to happen. And isn't there a sig line about of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. Not necessarily about voting, but voting needs to be respected.
    Another killer of threads

9 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Huntertwo;6649760]I don't understand it either. I live in CT. and always had to show a photo I.D. in order to vote. Actually, I was shocked when I learned not all states practice this.

[QUOTE]

I too was baffeld when this first came up. I grew up in CT and know that both in CT and when I lived in Ohio, I was required to show I.D. when I went to vote.

My understanding (which could very well be wrong) is that as things stand now, when you go to register to vote, you are not required to provide anything that provides proof of citizenship.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    I had a discussion with a friend and brought up that very point. Her answer was along the lines of "sucks to be you."
    Well, yeah, pretty much. That's life. If I get hit by a car tomorrow and can't make it to the polls on Tuesday, sucks to be me. It's WAY too late to apply for an absentee ballot.

And since these are state laws, let's have state IDs. If you're genuinely too physically disabled to go to the DMV, it's called "Call them and ask." (Not to mention, how are you getting disability without the forms of ID you needed to get that, which will get you the photo ID card?) If you are just too lazy to go through the steps because somehow you have avoided every single situation in life requiring a photo ID and you don't wanna and you shouldn't HAVE to and it's just such a hassle, clearly, voting's not actually that important to you. Yes, getting time off is a pain (I've never had any job that didn't pay by the hour, so I don't work, I don't get paid), but that's just LIFE. I have lived in four states now and the only thing that's ever been a pain is that my MA driver's license is on my mortgage account, not my MI one, so I have to keep the old card for security access issues. I can use that, or when traveling even within the US I use my passport (also, shockingly enough, pretty easy to get.) That sucker's got encoded data now.

And...so absentee fraud exists. Yes, something should be done about that. I've never been comfortable entirely with how it works, but at the moment, it's what we have. Of particular importance, those military ballots, as if anyone has actually EARNED the right to vote, it's people who go out and volunteer their lives for the country (there's a reason joining up can fast-track citizenship-that's a pretty hardcore way of saying you're serious.) One would think electronic technology would be there by now, but it's not. So how does this mean that just anyone should be able to stroll into a polling place and vote without having to show proof of identity? American citizens over the age of 18 (providing they have not committed certain crimes) are eligible to vote in elections--once, in their precinct/ward. Not "anyone who says they're eligible, anywhere they want." Scream all you want about "disenfranchised", but it says a LOT that Democrats object to any attempt to get rid of voter fraud, while keeping their mouths shut about making it borderline-impossible for active-duty military to vote.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Scream all you want about "disenfranchised", but it says a LOT that Democrats object to any attempt to get rid of voter fraud, while keeping their mouths shut about making it borderline-impossible for active-duty military to vote.
    You got that right!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

8 members found this post helpful.

hosspuller, gnalli, and trakehner-- please prove that there has been a problem with fraudulent voting. I believe that studies have shown that this has NOT been a problem particularly with mail in ballots. Fearmongering. I believe it's more likely that undocumented people and even first generation american voters are less likely to vote at all. Tell me, if this case with acorn is true, did AH, MM or these Somalis actually vote?

In my state, we have ballot measures put on our ballot. This election, we are voting to legalize marijuana! No joke! In order to get on the ballot, signatures of supporters are collected. Even these signatures go through a validating process.

I did not need to provide proof of ID. I just signed my name on the outside of the ballot.

I'm not sure if this has gone into effect, but our current Sec of State-- VOTE KATE BROWN-- is making it possible for disabled persons to vote by iPad!

It's far more likely that you will find fraud and shenanigans in the election office than in the voter.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    Also, isn't it awful funny that just a week or 2 back, a plane with military absentee votes/ballots went down and all ballots were lost?
    NO. They were concerned that there might have been absentee ballots on that plane, so they sent out duplicate ballots to that military po zip code. Absentee ballots are tracked, as are returned ballots. If two ballots came back, from the same person, the first one is counted. They wanted to make sure no one was disenfranchised.
    And yes, to get to presidential rallies, picture I'd was required.

I happen to live in an out of the way area and use a PO box for my mail. When I went to renew my DL not too long ago they wouldn't accept mail to a PO box as proof of address. Keep in mind I have lived in the same house since 1985 and have had my DL renewed several times. I had all my bills set up as paperless and they would not accept the printed receipts as proof of address.

It wasn't impossible but what I had to do was change a couple paperless bills that listed the "service address" back to hard copies then wait for the next bill to arrive so that I could take that, along with my birth certificate, SS card, and old DL back to DMV to renew.

I'm mobile, computer literate, have a flexible job and it was a pain to get my current DL. I can believe that for some people it could be a very difficult process.

The problem with identifying voter fraud is the lack of ability to cross reference jurisdictions.

I'll give a true example. Back in 2008 my niece was at an out of state college. She voted by absentee ballot back in her home state. She was approached by an Obama canvasser a few weeks before the election who asked if she was registered. She told him she had voted absentee in her home state. He told her that she could register in the college state and vote again. She found quite a few of her classmates had done just that.

Because the votes took place in different states they couldn't be checked.

Its not going to be a high percentage but I'd bet its about the same as the number of people who can't come up with a picture ID.

By the way, I'd be in favor of a nationwide picture ID because in today's society you need to have a picture ID. It should be done for everyone and it should be free.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

5 members found this post helpful.

Simple low tech way to confirm one person, one vote.

Do as the Iraq's do, dip a finger in dye. Has to wear off, so one can not go to another polling station.
    Won't stop folks voting absentee for one state and in person for another. Have often wondered how many "snow-bird" folks vote absentee for their home state and in person in the state where they spend the winter months.

DH has a long term solution - anyone without a picture ID is allowed to vote at a separate station. Their picture is then taken and they are provided the appropriate state picture ID.
    Two things then happen:
    those votes from the separate station are counted last
    a cross reference of all the polling station created picture ID's is made so that anyone who attempted to vote more than once is known, their votes removed and they can be prosecuted.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

4 members found this post helpful.

I work at a local social justice center. We help all sorts of people--lots of elderly, disabled, homeless, whatever.

We require photo IDs and social security numbers. EVERYONE has them. I've almost never met a person who couldn't come up with a photo ID of some type, relatively easily. Birth certificates are another matter--those can be difficult. But photo IDs are pretty easy.

Most of the people ranting about the poor disenfranchised voters don't have a clue. You have to have ID to get social security, food stamps, library books...it's not going to keep anyone from voting.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post

I too was baffeld when this first came up. I grew up in CT and know that both in CT and when I lived in Ohio, I was required to show I.D. when I went to vote.

My understanding (which could very well be wrong) is that as things stand now, when you go to register to vote, you are not required to provide anything that provides proof of citizenship.
    Except you didn't have to show a photo ID, even if you thought, assumed or were asked for one.

You could use a photo ID or you could use a bank statement, an original or copy of a paycheck or a government check, and in Ohio, your utility bill. What ever you use as proof of ID must have your name and address.

No photo ID required. You too fail the literacy test.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by gully's pilot View Post
    I work at a local social justice center. We help all sorts of people--lots of elderly, disabled, homeless, whatever.

We require photo IDs and social security numbers. EVERYONE has them. I've almost never met a person who couldn't come up with a photo ID of some type, relatively easily. Birth certificates are another matter--those can be difficult. But photo IDs are pretty easy.

Most of the people ranting about the poor disenfranchised voters don't have a clue. You have to have ID to get social security, food stamps, library books...it's not going to keep anyone from voting.
    See, you're trying to use your personal experience to say something is true or false. 11% of people who would otherwise be eligible to vote do not have a government issued photo ID (some states have further restrictions). Just because you don't see them, doesn't make it false. 11%...that's a big number.

I've never seen an eagle in person. Does that mean they don't exist?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.

States do have ID cards. At least Texas does. That is what my son has and has had for at least a dozen years. They have tightened up requirements for them and DLs because of terrorists and because of illegals in this country.

Our polling places are manned usually by older citizens who remember you, (or your parents). We have to sign the voter rolls and they compare the signature to your voter's card (or ID if you forget your card).

Obviously there is an underlying reason this has become an issue. We got voter cards for my parents (who lived at this same address) for several years. Also when my girls left home for good we still got ones for them. My son got 2 for a while after he lived away from home for a year. That seems to have stopped. I think the voter rolls weren't kept so neat and tidy for many years, maybe for a reason or just maybe laziness. Recently we've had some really close elections, maybe that's why or it's just another move closer to Big Brother watching over all of us.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by frisky View Post
    hosspuller, gnalli, and trakehner-- please prove that there has been a problem with fraudulent voting. I believe that studies have shown that this has NOT been a problem particularly with mail in ballots. Fearmongering. I believe it's more likely that undocumented people and even first generation american voters are less likely to vote at all. Tell me, if this case with acorn is true, did AH, MM or these Somalis actually vote?

I did not need to provide proof of ID. I just signed my name on the outside of the ballot.

I'm not sure if this has gone into effect, but our current Sec of State-- VOTE KATE BROWN-- is making it possible for disabled persons to vote by iPad!

It's far more likely that you will find fraud and shenanigans in the election office than in the voter.
    You ask to prove a problem.. what sort of proof will convince you? In close elections every vote is important. A few hundred or so votes could swing an election. That election could put a rep or senator in place that will swing the entire country. I speak of the Coleman/Franken race in MN. Franken won by 215 votes out of almost 3 million cast. (google that) With Franken, the Democrat senate had 60 votes to pass Obamacare.

Obamacare will swing the entire country... all 314 million of us.

So 215 votes swings 314 MILLION people's lives plus future population.

Notice I say votes... not people
    One stolen vote is too many ..Here's what I consider proof of a problem in part. double voting. Not to mention stolen votes..

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...g-case-probed/
    Last edited by hosspuller; Nov. 5, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added numbers.

Oh dear, apparently I offended the supporters of the voter suppression group "Truth the Vote".