The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 146
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb. 27, 2004
    Location
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    Or you are 35 and live at home with your folks because you have autism or you lost your legs in Iraq. You don't go out, don't drive. Live on SS or a military pension or just are a dependent on your parents.

    No need for a driver's license...

    Why is it so hard to understand that not everyone has that perfect life? or that need for a photo ID?
    My 31yr old autistic son has had state ID since he was 17 yr old (maybe 16). He is dependent and does not drive but the people (ie ME and my husband) get him where he needs to go. He votes in all elections. For a while I lost our voter's registration cards and we just used our (gasp) photo IDs to vote.

    All children at birth are started on the road to a SS card. It's been 30 years since I've had a baby but then you couldn't get them out of the hospital without starting the process.

    I'm sure there are a few, very few, who won't, or can't get a photo ID. I am pretty sure if someone wanted help to do so, they could find it or it would find them.

    I'd also like for EVERYONE driving a motor vehicle to have a valid driver's license. Just watching some of those cop shows, I'm taken back by the number of people who don't have valid licenses.

    Personally I'd rather carry a photo ID rather than be microchipped to prove identification.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    I'd also like for EVERYONE driving a motor vehicle to have a valid driver's license. Just watching some of those cop shows, I'm taken back by the number of people who don't have valid licenses.
    I used to manage a gas station (in the country where you had to drive to get to it) and you'd be amazed at the number of drivers who either don't have a valid driver's license or don't bother to carry it.

    And are more than willing to tell you so when you ask for ID and they bitch at you for requiring it.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default

    If a national ID is required, provide it free and allow time for implementation, otherwise it's voter suppression. Ask me, I know first hand. It took me almost a year and much effort to get photo ID, but alas, I got the job done and VOTED!!


    7 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Lorena, Texas
    Posts
    4,114

    Default

    It can be hard to get an ID if you can't drive due to vision, physical issues, etc. It is easy to say, 'If it is important, you'll make it happen.' Very easy for those who CAN drive and CAN go out and get things done to say that. Much harder in practice to have to beg rides places repeatedly.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

    Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,003

    Default

    Why should anyone have to show photo ID to vote?

    I live in a rural area in a big county. 35 miles from here to the DMV, where they issue the state ID cards. And the DMV is going to want documentation before it issues the ID. The Social Security office is five miles from the DMV office. Vital Records is three or four miles.

    But in my tiny little corner of the county, we have about five polling places. To make sure there's one within walking distance of everyone. For people who can't get out and walk to the polling place, the churches have people who volunteer to do car pools. But those ladies probably couldn't afford the gas or time to do all the long-distance running around involved in getting everybody an ID card.

    Lots of folks out here are farm hands. They get paid in cash at the back door of their employer's house every Friday. They don't use banks. They live in housing provided by the farmer they work for, who keeps the utilities in his name. They ride in the back of the farmer's truck to and from work every day. I'm sure very few of them have photo IDs.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May. 22, 2006
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Or what if there is a major natural disaster right before voting and you're lucky to hastily evacuate, but your drivers license, passport, social security card and other documents are either inaccessible or waterlogged or burned in a house fire.

    Should you still be allowed to vote?

    Surprised no one has brought this up in light of recent events . . .


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct. 23, 2004
    Location
    Sisters, Oregon
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post

    Lots of folks out here are farm hands. They get paid in cash at the back door of their employer's house every Friday. They don't use banks. They live in housing provided by the farmer they work for, who keeps the utilities in his name. They ride in the back of the farmer's truck to and from work every day. I'm sure very few of them have photo IDs.
    Okay...but I'm sure if they really wanted to they could figure out a way to take their birth certificate and get a ride to the DMV or somewhere that would issue them an ID.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb. 27, 2004
    Location
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    I would like to see the numbers of people who do actually vote who fall into these groups who can not get an ID. I guess voter fraud doesn't really matter. If your entitled to free medical care and schooling even though your here illegally, I suppose it's an easy assumption that your entitled to vote as well.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    Or you are 35 and live at home with your folks because you have autism or you lost your legs in Iraq. You don't go out, don't drive. Live on SS or a military pension or just are a dependent on your parents.

    No need for a driver's license...

    Why is it so hard to understand that not everyone has that perfect life? or that need for a photo ID?
    Because all of us have one and had to get one? For crying out loud, I had bills (and a university PHOTO ID) freshman year of college. All of which I managed to figure out despite being 18 and never having lived away from home or had a job. If you are so completely dependent you cannot figure out how to get a photo ID, you shouldn't be voting, frankly.

    The Iraq one is especially BS. How on EARTH would you 'lose your legs in Iraq' without having a METRIC TON of proof of identity? You were there as a soldier of fortune working under the table? The military gives you a photo ID, tons of paperwork, and about a hundred ways to prove you are who you say you are (including the forms of ID necessary to get VA medical care.)


    8 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2011
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    How do you prove who you say you are when you register to vote if you don't have a photo ID?

    If someone can't prove who they are should we let them register to vote?
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"


    10 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Why should anyone have to show photo ID to vote?
    ...Because the people checking you in at the polling station don't know every single person in their precinct by sight? NOT having photo ID (which I've had to show) means anyone can skim the phone book, get your name and address, show up and say "Yep, that's me!" and vote. Someone (not intending fraud, but carrying a hidden microphone) did it with Eric Holder's name and address. He admitted before being given the ballot he wasn't but he could very easily have voted *as the Attorney General of the United States.* Because the poll worker was going to take his word for it.

    People who really want photo ID can get them. It is not as simple as the drive-through at McDonald's, but that is because it is not SUPPOSED to be. They do not want to give out government-issue IDs to anyone based solely on their word that they are who they say they are (and if they did, the amount of identity fraud would be through the roof.) But it is not remotely as onerous as people claim--heck, it's not even as big a hassle as getting a mortgage, filling out paperwork for a new job, or even moving.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,837

    Default

    About 11% of U.S. citizens who are eligible to vote don't have a government issued photo ID. I understand it might be necessary for YOUR lifestyle, clearly it is not for their lifestyle. There have been very few cases of attempted in person voter fraud, so the photo ID requirement is a solution in search of a problem. In addition, those citizens without a photo ID who would otherwise be eligible to vote tend to vote Democrat.

    So, now, ask yourself why would we want to pursue voter photo ID requirements when there is not evidence of in person voter ID fraud AND those who don't have ID would tend to vote Democrat. There's only one reason I can see and it's voter suppression.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    8 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    About 11% of U.S. citizens who are eligible to vote don't have a government issued photo ID. I understand it might be necessary for YOUR lifestyle, clearly it is not for their lifestyle. There have been very few cases of attempted in person voter fraud, so the photo ID requirement is a solution in search of a problem. In addition, those citizens without a photo ID who would otherwise be eligible to vote tend to vote Democrat.

    So, now, ask yourself why would we want to pursue voter photo ID requirements when there is not evidence of in person voter ID fraud AND those who don't have ID would tend to vote Democrat. There's only one reason I can see and it's voter suppression.
    Or because there IS still voter fraud, and one wonders why Democrats are so desperate to make sure that you can never prove the 'voter' is who they claim to be? Dead people in Chicago tend to vote Democrat, too. No ID means that as long as they never clear the voter rolls (something to which they also seem to object), they can have as many dead people voting as they want.

    The reality is, if you want a photo ID, you can get one if you are legitimately who you claim to be. And if you're utterly incapable of figuring it out, the mere fact you are old enough to vote doesn't mean you SHOULD be. It's a right (for legal citizens over the age of 18 not incarcerated for certain crimes--illegally-voting inmates and illegal aliens also tend to "vote" Democrat), but it is not an obligation.

    Now, a GENUINE case of voter suppression would be certain Democrats making it difficult/impossible for absentee military voters to vote. That's a group that usually trends Republican....(You know, that case, and Black Panthers with billy clubs outside polling stations, but we don't talk about things like that.)


    9 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2006
    Location
    Evansville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    If a national ID is required, provide it free and allow time for implementation, otherwise it's voter suppression. Ask me, I know first hand. It took me almost a year and much effort to get photo ID, but alas, I got the job done and VOTED!!
    This is sort of how I feel as well. Personally, I don't feel a pressing need for voter ID. But if that's what the majority wants I don't have a problem with it as long as it's implemented appropriately, which I don't feel is being done in many cases. IMO, we really need to get free ID programs in place long before we require them to vote.

    And around here, it's also much easier to get to a polling place than a DMV.

    I'm not sure what the actual numbers if eligible voters without IDs look like overall, but I have a disabled friend who does have a state photo ID, and he says the only place he ever uses it is at bars. If he didn't drink, he could get by without it just fine.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2008
    Location
    gorgeos city
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    Okay...but I'm sure if they really wanted to they could figure out a way to take their birth certificate and get a ride to the DMV or somewhere that would issue them an ID.
    But see that's the heart and soul of the issue. The people pushing for it know that the folks in theses situations are generally not as determined to scale a bunch of obstacles to vote. Those folks are also by and large more likely to vote for a certain political party ( guess which one?). So you throw up some obstacles, and hey presto you've eliminated a segment of your rival's potential vote share. It may not be a large segment, but in tight elections (hmmm, any tight elections on the horizon) it can make all the difference.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    lets say you are 80, and get SS. You pay your utilities, etc by check. You get your SS and pension cash via check. You walk to the bank. You then stop by the store or your daughter picks up your groceries or you live with family or in an assisted living place. You don't drive, don't have a driver's license. Don't travel.

    When things expire, you don't renew...
    You have to have an ID to open bank acct/cash ck...


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

    The reality is, if you want a photo ID, you can get one if you are legitimately who you claim to be. And if you're utterly incapable of figuring it out, the mere fact you are old enough to vote doesn't mean you SHOULD be. It's a right (for legal citizens over the age of 18 not incarcerated for certain crimes--illegally-voting inmates and illegal aliens also tend to "vote" Democrat), but it is not an obligation.
    Oh, OK. I understand. You mean use the Photo ID requirement like a literacy test. Newflash...that was outlawed by the Civil Rights Act of 1965.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    5 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    I honesty want to believe that no R is trying to prevent someone from voting with these types of rules. But I do agree that getting ID isn't as easy as some think. If you've not had to work a set schedule, rely on public transport and live within about 20 bucks +/- per month on your budget, you just can't understand how hard it could be to get the proper docs.

    I'm not saying we shouldn't have docs, I'm just thinking we need to make it easier if we are going to require it to vote.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2008
    Posts
    4,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohrebecca View Post
    ^ your state is not all states.

    And getting a state photo ID still requires some sort of ride TO the DMV/Sec of State. Some elderly/carless people do NOT have people they can ask or people who are willing to take them.
    I have never lived in Michigan or Georgia. I just looked up the information online. Also, someone who cannot get a ride to a MVA office, will likely not be able to get to a polling place either.

    Just for fun, I checked Alabama. For a state ID, you need basically a birth certificate (or record of birth) and a photo ID (to include a student ID). If you have something with a photo, such as a passport, that is all you need. You do, however, need to renew in person, every 4 years.


    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    A- you can't renew in MI via mail if you have to get your photo taken again or if you can't afford to renew at least 2 weeks prior as you won't get your tags in time.
    Are you referencing me? This name may be a nom de plume for the internet, but it is still Ajierene, not any variation.

    Renewals are via mail, not online. So, you can send in a check or money order. If you are in need of an initial ID, then yes you need to find transportation to a place where you can get a picture taken. Unless you are looking to get a passport, which is also a valid ID. Then, you just need transportation to the post office and any store that will take passport IDs. Of course, then you will also need over $100, instead of about $30.

    Then again, if you cannot get an ID due to transportation issues, what are the chances you are getting to a polling place?



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    How do you prove who you say you are when you register to vote if you don't have a photo ID?

    If someone can't prove who they are should we let them register to vote?
    Birth certificate/Social Security card.

    NO.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Would you mind voting???
    By Firefilly in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan. 21, 2011, 12:27 AM
  2. CAROUSEL VOTING - WE WON!! WOO-HOO! $100,000!
    By Guin in forum Off Course
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: May. 19, 2009, 06:36 AM
  3. Eventing Spectator - Voting with My $$$
    By r3dd0g in forum Eventing
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: May. 2, 2009, 09:53 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr. 30, 2009, 08:02 AM
  5. If your horse was voting
    By champagnetaste in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2008, 11:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •