The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Repairing blanket question

I have an Amigo turnout sheet with the two chest buckles that needs a little repair. The top strap (heavy nylon material) is half-pulled off the blanket. No damage to the actual blanket, it seems the threads just ripped that held the two pieces together.

Usually I would send something like this out to be repaired but I'd really like to use it again ASAP so I was wondering: Is this something I can repair on my own, by hand or with my sewing machine? It's totally not an industrial-strength sewing machine, but it's not too bad. I am pretty handy sewing by hand but I'm just not sure if that would cut it.

Any thoughts? I'll confess the main reason I want to use it again is simply to cover my mid-weight because sheets are so much easier to replace if necessary So, if sending it out really is the best option I'll do that.

If your machine can stitch through all layers, you're probably OK. Just double/triple stitch it.

Get a heavy duty quilting needle, button or craft thread and a thimble.

If its possible to go through the holes from the original stitching, that will make it easier. Otherwise, be ready for a bit of a challenge getting through the strapping.

I have done this on a couple of occasions. Stitch the perimeter and an X across the strapping to hold in in place.

I do all my own blanket repairs on my high-quality-but-not-industrial sewing machine. I use a size 16 or 18 needle when I have to sew straps.
    Proud member of the EDRF

If you don't have an industrial (or better industrial,walking foot) machine, you may want to hand sew since the thread needed to make a good repair may not work with your machine. I have made quick repairs with a home machine but they don't last long.

an easy strong material to hand sew with is dental floss...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I use a fishing line I got at Wal Mart---you have to melt it to cut it---nothing else will work. I sew with a heavy duty needle and pliers to push needle through strap fabric and it works great

Upholstery thread and an upholstery needle. I have an old semi-industrial machine and I wouldn't try this on it. Just sew it by hand. As noted above, you can make life easier by using the thread holes that are already there.