The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I hardly think there will be riots.

I was going to leave this and hope it stay at the bottom, but since it's at the top. I was getting hammered by some people last night on a thread who were all in a tizzy scared of riots. I could not believe it. It's hard to believe adults are thinking like this, and they're allowed to vote.

8 members found this post helpful.

My ultra right wing neighbors are convinced there will be OWS/food riots this fall and are prepping for that event. I would be more concerned about riots if Obama wins. Some of the TP'ers are NUTS
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

7 members found this post helpful.

People on both sides are NUTS, carol, there are flaming yahoos in every realm of political affiliation.

I don't think there will be riots but I will say that I am concerned with keeping my 2nd amendment rights and I am very, very concerned with current fiscal policy being short sighted. I am thinking a move to Texas may be in order, they have good track record of keeping the right to bear arms and a somewhat sound fiscal habit. It's also South enough for me to feel like I finally made it South
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's funny, Obama hasn't really made a move to restrict firearms but many people seem to think it's just around the corner
    http://www.businessinsider.com/obama...control-2012-9

And yes, I mentioned both the left and right in my comment
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm going on a tech and media hiatus for three days starting Tuesday...I don't want to know the outcome for at least three days. Three days I can live in ignorance and the quiet. If Obama wins, great I'm happy but I know the country still has a long way to go. If Romney wins I will have lost all faith in humanity and the hope that women will someday be paid, thought of and treated as equal to men. I'm not going to riot or any other form of protest other than being abysmally sad for where we could be and where we will be headed under Romney. I've spent all day debating a family member on Facebook and no matter what actual facts I show this person she still believes Obama is a boogeyman out to get everyone. I'll never understand as long as I live how the US has sunk so low that so many who look at the president don't look through the lens of reason but instead look at him through misinformation, fear, lies and propaganda. No he's not perfect but he's not the enemy, not Muslim, not lying about his US Citizenship, or any other of the outrageous and crazy conspiracy theories that people put on him and that people buy hook, line and sinker despite facts to the contrary.

12 members found this post helpful.

Darkmoonlady, I am absolutely there with you. There is SO much misinformation and people just swallow it whole and pass it along without spending the 90 seconds on Google to see if it was true or not.

I recently had someone forward me one of those email chain letters with an article about Obama attached, claiming the article was from the Washinton Post. I did read the whole article, but about 6 words into it my bullish*t meter was singing loudly. I visited the Washinton Post website and searched for the article (0 results) then plugged the author & title into Google and, sure enough, the article had been published on a conservative opinion website, NOT in the Washington Post.

I was irritated because those emails are an insult to my intelligence. Do you really think I am going to open some random email and swallow every word of it without doing my own research? And do you really think it will affect how I vote in a presidential election? Really??? But the scary thing is there are a LOT of people just like that. So, after I had typed up my reply to the person who sent me that email (btw, the last one she sent me about Obama was the whole "he really wasn't born in this country!" malarkey, which I also called out as a bunch of BS at the time), I made sure I hit Reply All so that everyone she sent that email to could see my response. Just trying to do what I can to clear up a bit of the misinformation. How can we live in the information age and yet be so easily lead astray with lies and BS? Was nobody else taught to do their own research and think for themselves?

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    That type of concern strikes me as a bit on the "people of color can't control themselves" side.
    Exactly. It's a complete and total dog whistle.

And I haven't heard anyone talking ANYWHERE (outside of possibly World Net Daily and its ilk) about postponing elections. What a crock.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

2 members found this post helpful.

You know, the more I think about it, the more paranoid and ridiculous it seems.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, the people going on about the riots and hammering me about it last night are back on. Let's see if they show themselves and explain.

Like I said, there ARE people that think that way, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote. My crazy, abusive, nasty step-father who has been living off the government teat for 40 years because he was in the navy for 30 wants his gun so he can prepare for the "riots" because the people from Oakland are going to come over the bridge and get him. They have dark skin there.

It reminds me of when I travelled to Honduras during the "overthrow of the government" and all of the rioting. Best time to travel. Peaceful and quiet. You had to go to the one square block in the middle of the capital to even find anyone "rioting."

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Well, the people going on about the riots and hammering me about it last night are back on. Let's see if they show themselves and explain.

Like I said, there ARE people that think that way, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote. My crazy, abusive, nasty step-father who has been living off the government teat for 40 years because he was in the navy for 30 wants his gun so he can prepare for the "riots" because the people from Oakland are going to come over the bridge and get him. They have dark skin there.

It reminds me of when I travelled to Honduras during the "overthrow of the government" and all of the rioting. Best time to travel. Peaceful and quiet. You had to go to the one square block in the middle of the capital to even find anyone "rioting."
    If you ever watch international news, you will learn what real riots are.
    Even more so if you travel where they are happening.
    Real riots are not something to make light of.

So? Point? Or just random stalking comment?

So? Point? Or just random stalking comment?
    I post every place I have a comment to make responding to the post.
    That it was you who wrote that really doesn't matter, sorry.

3 members found this post helpful.

huh?

huh?
    It is hard to have to keep explaining the simple, but, if you ask, my post was not stalking, as you indicated.

Stalking is following someone around and I really don't care to do that.
    I had others do it to me, are you?
    See, that makes little sense also, so why try to get personal?
    Nonsense.

When debating, people disagree with each other.
    They don't just sit there and don't post because some poster may get offended when disagreed with.

Quote Originally Posted by dodedo View Post
    Anyone think there is a risk of this actually happening? Wow, I never would think of such a thing! Friend told me I was whacko to travel out of state just in case some utter craziness happens I should be close to home.....geez. Anyone else even half afraid of this?
    Had to go back and re read what I wrote that started all of this....amazed that my crazy question asking if anyone has heard these crazy rumors seems to have caused a riot of its own. I think emotions are a bit raw right now with all the for and against both parties. I will be so glad when all of this is over finally. I sure hope everyone can win and lose like civil human beings!

Since you're not writing in English, and commenting on "real" riots around the world has NOTHING to do with this topic, nothing of this makes any sense.

How about just never responding to me. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by dodedo View Post
    Had to go back and re read what I wrote that started all of this....amazed that my crazy question asking if anyone has heard these crazy rumors seems to have caused a riot of its own. I think emotions are a bit raw right now with all the for and against both parties. I will be so glad when all of this is over finally. I sure hope everyone can win and lose like civil human beings!
    Thank you for posting that information.
    I had not heard about these rumors this time around.
    Guess they have not come here yet.

What I have heard, I will not repeat, it is very ugly, how some, normally nice, sensible people are so wound up as to be past insulting, shameful, really.

My guess is that, as usual, the vast majority of people on both sides will behave like ladies and gentlemen no matter who wins (barring some whining and finger pointing and maybe some gloating). We're all pretty awesome that way.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Well, as soon as we NYers finish brandishing guns and crow bars on our gas lines, we will jump right in
    Seriously, the gas stations have two to four police cars assigned with lights flashing to keep violence from breaking out over people cutting lines for gas, and this is in the suburbs
    I just can't see people expending the energy needed to riot about politics. Gas, yes. Politics, no.