The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    I didn't notice, but starting on the elastic end, is one of the 'groom's tricks..' it saves you quite a few steps.

You begin on the elastic side, not very high. Then to the off side, and get it pretty tight...then, back to the near side to finish tightening it up. You wind up with the girth much more even, and you don't wear out your near side billets as quickly as you would otherwise, with them always getting stretched out hard every time you tack up.
    Hmmm I've never seen that... very interesting! I've had it drilled into my head that you always start your girth on the far side, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying

I competed against Jacob in the Open equitation in the Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) Zone 3 shows. He's a class act.
    Sarah A. Ward

Washington and Lee University Riding

Thank You "Infinite" for clearing that up. I was in no way reluctant to give Jacob credit for everything he has done. He is a great rider and I mentioned several times, him coming out of the EAP, and everything he's won. I knew who the winner was, in my mind, but I didn't want to say he won before the judges actually pinned it.

4 members found this post helpful.

There is only one archived item on that website and it says "all rounds". Are we really going to have to watch the entire thing to see what was supposed to start at 3 but ended before it was supposed to start?

If you go to about 6:26 in the video you can watch just the second rounds and the work off. Just slide your slider until you get to that point. It may buffer a few times but it worked pretty well for me.

Default To Jet 11

Thanks for the clarification, and thanks even more for the commentary. You pointed out stuff that we should be watching for (and maybe weren't) and told us about problems before they happened. A big step up from commentators who just count strides out loud. For hours.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

2 members found this post helpful.

Bummed I missed the last rounds but yay for Jacob Pope and my home state of Maryland! That is awesome. Hoping to catch video of his final four round...

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JET11 View Post
    Thank You "Infinite" for clearing that up. I was in no way reluctant to give Jacob credit for everything he has done. He is a great rider and I mentioned several times, him coming out of the EAP, and everything he's won. I knew who the winner was, in my mind, but I didn't want to say he won before the judges actually pinned it.
    Most honest and insightful commentary in ages--added a huge amount to the event (and last night's, too). Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    There is only one archived item on that website and it says "all rounds". Are we really going to have to watch the entire thing to see what was supposed to start at 3 but ended before it was supposed to start?

I am glad that at least 3 of us heard that the second round of jumping was going to start at 3. I even know what time I heard that -- About 12:52. Because I decided that 2 hours was plenty of time to run errands and get back before 3.

Does anyone have the URL for the replays of the top 4?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by superdon View Post
    I really enjoyed watching the online coverage, but have to say I was surprised at how empty the stands were. I am from the central NY area, and when the Maclay finals were in Syracuse, the seats were full! The winner would always receive a LOUD standing ovation during the victory lap--I couldn't even hear any cheering today. Such a shame not more support for a national final!
    There were actually quite a few people there, but mostly on the same side of the ring as the camera, so they weren't very visible on the live feed.

I went to the Maclay finals every year they had it in Syracuse, and there was a pretty good crowd in both locations.

Default Jet11

Just wanted to say that you did a great job commentating and I enjoyed listening both today and last night during the grand prix. I thought you did an excellent job of bringing the background into the rounds and helping those watching learn a little something about the combinations -- came across well here.

Good work and I thought you made a good transition today, given it is a judged competition, to ensure that you offered commentary without offering "judging" -- an important distinction for sure.

I caught a little bit of the press conference after the class, mostly because I had to walk right past it to get to where I had parked. Andre really raved about Jacob's work ethic along with his talent. It sounded like Jacob may have a bright future ahead of him.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    There were actually quite a few people there, but mostly on the same side of the ring as the camera, so they weren't very visible on the live feed.

I went to the Maclay finals every year they had it in Syracuse, and there was a pretty good crowd in both locations.
    Glad to know there were more people there than it seemed from watching the live feed. Winning the Maclay final is such an accomplishment, and it is nice to know there were a lot of people cheering the riders on. I certainly enjoyed watching every year in syracuse, and was so disappointed when they moved the finals.

I have a question: I've always wanted to show in the Maclay, and read up on the rules---how can Jacob have won when he's already shown grand prix? Didn't the rules say that the rider couldn't be jumping higher than what they were showing? And doesn't being a catch rider/being paid to ride qualify you as a professional, meaning you are not eligible for Equitation classes? Or did I miss understand the rules I read? Very exciting to watch, but I was a touch confused by the commentary on how much the riders had already done.

1. Juniors can't be professionals, they're juniors.

2. There are no entry restrictions on the Maclay other than one must be a junior.

3. Jacob has not shown in GPs..?

EquitationDream, as a junior, Jacob cannot be considered "pro." That status can only be affixed to an adult.
    Not sure about the height rules, but I recall that several others juniors have done higher than the EQ, including Tori Colvin who I saw riding Derbies this year in the hunters and several others who do jumpers.

Congrats to Jacob and his connections. He looks like a fabulous and dedicated rider and I'm sure he'll go far.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by EquitationDream View Post
    I have a question: I've always wanted to show in the Maclay, and read up on the rules---how can Jacob have won when he's already shown grand prix? Didn't the rules say that the rider couldn't be jumping higher than what they were showing? And doesn't being a catch rider/being paid to ride qualify you as a professional, meaning you are not eligible for Equitation classes? Or did I miss understand the rules I read? Very exciting to watch, but I was a touch confused by the commentary on how much the riders had already done.
    There is no height restriction on how high you can show and still do the Maclay. If Reed really wanted to, she could have shown in the Maclay (granted she had time to do the qualifiers while she was busy with that little aside called the Olympics).

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

EqDream, I bet you're thinking of Michael Hughes, who was announced as having won a few grands prix this year.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Default EAP

Thank you thank you to the USHJA for the EAP program. It is highly doubtful that without the exposure Jacob Pope had from EAP that he would have been able to win two finals this year!

What a huge accomplishment for Jacob. So glad that professionals like Andre were able to see Jacob's talent and then were generous enough to support him.

I think this is EXACTLY what EAP was hoping to find, future professionals with a great work ethic.

Kudos to those who have supported EAP!

3 members found this post helpful.