The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

He was pretty much dead on. Said Catherine galloped on from the first, but got a little dead to the 4; Jacob rode the horse like it was his own; Elizabeth let the horse essentially run out at the skinny; and that Lillie had misjudged the stride on EB's horse and got him a little rattled.

I thought Lillie had two spectacular rounds today, so it's a little bit of a shame for her, but she's got many years left to win and I have no doubt she'll get both the Medal and the Maclay by the time she ages out.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

1 members found this post helpful.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    WTF?!?!?

I thought that the 2nd jumping round started at 3!!!!

Damn. It is all over, eh?

I'm in the same boat with you, I tuned in just in time to see the awards!
    triple damn.
    I'm in the same boat LHU, I tuned in just in time to see the awards.

Quote Originally Posted by TEV94 View Post
    Did anyone notice that Jacob and Catherine started their girths on the wrong side... George may have an issue with that. It is George after all!
    I didn't notice, but starting on the elastic end, is one of the 'groom's tricks..' it saves you quite a few steps.

You begin on the elastic side, not very high. Then to the off side, and get it pretty tight...then, back to the near side to finish tightening it up. You wind up with the girth much more even, and you don't wear out your near side billets as quickly as you would otherwise, with them always getting stretched out hard every time you tack up.

Could Mason Phelps have worn ANYTHING more ostentatious than that horrible orange jacket during the awards ceremony?

I mean come on, Mason, we know you worked hard organizing the show. But this is about the riders and their horses.

Am I the only one bothered by that?

Congrats to all!

I was bothered too! Actually it looked like he was the one receiving the award IMO. Shouldn't the trophy have been presented a little closer to Jacob and maybe Andre rather than Mason??

and thanks SingMia!!

I really enjoyed watching the online coverage, but have to say I was surprised at how empty the stands were. I am from the central NY area, and when the Maclay finals were in Syracuse, the seats were full! The winner would always receive a LOUD standing ovation during the victory lap--I couldn't even hear any cheering today. Such a shame not more support for a national final!

He always wears that thing. It's awful, IMO!

I did think Jimmy was pretty reluctant to give Jacob credit for his great, great riding, and a little too disappointed about Lillie's turn of luck--he kept hoping out loud till the last moment that she would have been "so far ahead, leading after two rounds and the flat phase..." etc...

Jacob's achievements this year (USEF Talent Search/ASPCA Winner) and last (USHJA-EAP Winner) are so inspirational in a sport where it is has seemed really futile for kids that only have a willingness to work hard, and little else to bring to the barn.

7 members found this post helpful.

M O'Connor, I gave you a thumbs up, but wanted to post as well - I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    At least Mason has stopped wearing the orange pants. Those things were truly horrifying

2 members found this post helpful.

I did think Jimmy was pretty reluctant to give Jacob credit for his great, great riding, and a little too disappointed about Lillie's turn of luck--he kept hoping out loud till the last moment that she would have been "so far ahead, leading after two rounds and the flat phase..." etc...

Jacob's achievements this year (USEF Talent Search/ASPCA Winner) and last (USHJA-EAP Winner) are so inspirational in a sport where it is has seemed really futile for kids that only have a willingness to work hard, and little else to bring to the barn.
    I'd actually disagree with his not wanting to give Jacob credit -- he noted it a number of times and clearly said he felt Lillie had made a significant enough mistake to take herself out of the winner's position. He did note right after they finished that he "probably shouldn't say who he thought should win, but wait for the judges." Though it was clear he felt Jacob should get the win. And he noted Jacob's win at USET as well as EAP. He did note that Lillie was likely disappointed but I certainly didn't take it that he was.

And yes, he did note that there was a chance Lillie might eek it out having been in the lead in two phases, but he did not in any way indicate he agreed with that -- he noted every time that he was referencing what was probably going through her mind. I think Jimmy tried hard to not provide judging commentary on who would or should win out of deference to those judging though he was clearly complimentary of each of the top riders abilities and certainly of Jacob's clear talent and abilities.
    Last edited by Infinite; Nov. 4, 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: sorry missed a word

I agree M O'Connor. The EAP has been overlooked by many, maybe this is what needed to happen for the EAP to be taken seriously and to be considered by other riders. I'll never forget watching Jacob in the GM Clinic on that gorgeous chestnut. His position is flawless! He is such a good sport and deserves everything he has won this year. He placed at all of the finals this year and won two! which is such an accomplishment

Quote Originally Posted by staceymc View Post
    At least Mason has stopped wearing the orange pants. Those things were truly horrifying
    I was thinking what if he wore that orange jacket with the orange pants...oh gosh

Congrats to Jacob. Have only heard good things about him.

And most importantly, congratulations to Jacob! He did an outstanding job and rode that final round flawlessly -- he earned every bit of the win! Nothing could be nicer with a nice kid and a hard working one as well!

4 members found this post helpful.

Maybe Jimmy just felt bad for jinxing Lillie by saying the competition was "hers to lose" just seconds before she, well, lost it. LOL

I was watching earlier and had to walk away for a little bit, now that I am back, what is going on? The camera is like way zoomed out, I can barely make out the horses!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I just got home and turned in iHigh to watch. They are in Rider # 35; HOWEVER, seeing all these posts in this thread about who won, so is the iHigh stream not live? Can't be live, if results are already in. Can anyone bring me up to speed on the broadcast situation? Confused.

He DOES with the black tux jacket!!!

Did you see his ORANGE SHOES????
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by 222orchids View Post
    I just got home and turned in iHigh to watch. They are in Rider # 35; HOWEVER, seeing all these posts in this thread about who won, so is the iHigh stream not live? Can't be live, if results are already in. Can anyone bring me up to speed on the broadcast situation? Confused.
    iHigh archives the feeds automatically as soon as the event is finished so you're watching the replay even though I see it iHigh still lists it as live. The Maclay is finished (early no less!).

The orange, icky though it is, is because it is the National Horse Show. Their colors are Black and Orange.