The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post

Is there anyone any more who events with only one bridle??
    I always only had one bridle when I evented... and it was a figure 8. My horse had a somewhat strange facial structure and I always thought that the regular flash (which I did need on him) constricted his breathing somewhat.

That being said, now that I do mostly dressage I avoid the figure 8, merely for aesthetic reasons. I won't use it unless I feel there is a compelling need to do so.

The bridle I ride my mare in is a figure 8. I like the way it works on her, she likes it better than the flash. It fits her face better, and I find the flash brings the noseband down too much and it's harder to fit her odly shaped TB head on registered APHA body. She's a (very nicely put together) "spare parts horse" ;-)

I also have a strong Eventing and H/J background.

That's the other thing I don't like about flash bridles, seems like the noseband always gets pulled down funny on my bridle. I wish the horze bridle didn't have the bling on the nose part too, but it's the only reasonably priced figure eight in black I can find this side of the pond.

And if anybody has ever wondered, horze bridles are awesome, I have one already and look forward to getting a second.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I'm going to venture on a limb and possibly get chewed, but most of us follow the goings-on in Europe.... Grackle's were made to keep horses from grinding their teeth, Flashes to keep the mouth from gaping. Two entirely different things. Europe is considered a little more "proper" and "strict" than us (Canada, US, etc) and use things more for what they were made to do.. I think this is why you rarely see them in Dressage - because people in Europe don't.

One thing that I am seeing a lot of lately, though is Drop nosebands.
    Last edited by Tempi.Change; Nov. 7, 2012 at 02:28 PM.

I personally don't like the look of the fig 8 but then again I don't like dropping browbands, excessively fluffy half pads, jeweled browbands, and those funky new flash styles either LOL.
    I ride in a flash with a simple caveson. I do think the monocrown has helped but I think much of the trends are simply asthetic.

What funky new flash style? I am curious. I love my padded monocrown, it is also cut back away from the ears. I think it looks nice, and I think it's much more comfortable to the horse. I don't think I will ever go back to a bridle that isn't.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Waitaminit, I LIKE my Thanksgiving turkey to be wearing black gloves!!

I COULD, but I don't. My horse goes all three phases in a Happy Mouth, and I could easily manage it all in one bridle. BUT, I prefer the full cheek for jumping. I do use a figure 8 for jumping and a flash for dressage. If I had to choose one bridle, I would choose the figure 8 with the full cheek.

I have evented plenty of horses in one bridle/bit. Most usually start out that way, at least.

Does the Horze.com one come in Full Size? I am seeing Pony, Cob, and Extra Full.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2337 View Post
    Does the Horze.com one come in Full Size? I am seeing Pony, Cob, and Extra Full.
    They *should* have it in a full, but if not, I'd email them and ask if they're out of stock right now.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Waitaminit, I LIKE my Thanksgiving turkey to be wearing black gloves!!

*raises hand*
    One of my recent event horses not only did all three phases in the same bridle, but in the same saddle as well. He was a big-yet-sensitive TB who did all three phases in a figure eight and a baucher snaffle...and my dressage saddle didn't fit him well, so we used our jumping saddle in all three phases...since we were using a brown saddle, our brown figure 8 worked out just fine. I stopped using a running martingale on him after a while...so the only difference between his dressage and jumping "outfit" was adding some XC boots.

My current TB does dressage in a figure 8 - we started using it when his regular flash bridle sat right on top of some halter rubs (sustained playing halter tag with all his turnout buddies) and I swapped his nosebad for a figure 8 while the rubs healed. He was much happier and steaddier in the Figure 8, so we stuck with it. We've been using it in "real dressage" shows all fall and nobody has ever even commented on it...we get a lot of comments on our pretty browband, but nobody has mentioned the noseband.
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/