The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are you a candidate for TLC's what not to wear?

I sure am! The thing is, I work from home, I have no social life, I go the the grocery store, the gym, and to ride. So what's the point?
    I know Stacey and Clinton say because it says the kind of person you are. Well, I am a jeans and breeches and shorts kind of person. I do not even own a skirt or a dress. Truth!
    And I hate to shop, I am like all those women on that show in a department store, Terrified, depressed and confused.
    I have no clue what looks good and what doesn't. Am I alone??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was recently excited to find some nicely coloured sweat shirts that I thought would be great for the barn...when I went to the other side of the display the sign advertising them featured "Active Seniors". I bought three.

39 years old and I shop in the seniors department...and I sometimes have hay in my hair when I do it!

Meanwhile, I have some lovely Holt Renfrew suites that sit in their jacket bags unloved now that I no longer have an office job.

Sigh.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, yes... I am. Nothing high fashion going on here...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I've never watched it but I'm sure I am. I'm lucky that I work for a company whose dress code is essentially "don't come to work naked". Seriously, I wore a 20 year old sweatshirt yesterday. (It's weathered very, very well, not frayed or tattered and not even very faded).

But do I care? Not a bit. Fashion bores me. I dress neatly in what I guess is called "timeless". Polos and jeans, mostly. Sweaters in winter.

2 members found this post helpful.

Stacy and Clinton would have a field day with me, but I've watched the show have a good idea how I would improve my wardrobe given, 1) time, and 2) money. I have a friend that shops for me at Goodwill, to give you an idea...
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Yes, I could be on the show, and sometimes wonder if people are turning my name in. I had someone question me when I came to the office for a client meeting-no jeans and t-shirt ?

I want to be.... for a $5,000 new wardrobe...

In reality, I'm not as nearly as bad as most on the show.

Not only am I a candidate, but I had a very vivid dream about actually being on the show a couple weeks ago. The last time I saw it was probably 3 years ago

My sister (who's threatened to nominate me frequently) thought the dream was hilarious, it definitely captured "me" moments if I were to be on the show!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

If they ever saw me in my champion half shorts half pants and my las vegas t-shirt, I'd be in for sure! I definitely shop at Goodwill, but I don't think that counts, because you can find some good stuff there! I didn't, for example, get the aforementioned half shorts there, but I did get a nice purple top that I can wear to parties.

Smile I knew ..

I would not be alone amongst horsey folk!
    I see women on the show that wear the same things I do, Plain top and jeans, and I think.. "Hey, that does not look so bad.
    I admit it would be very interesting to see what I could look like if I had a week with them, not to mention, Carmindy and Ted for the full treatment.
    Truthfully I could throw away my entire wardrobe and it would be no great loss. Minus my breeches of course.
    But I would not know what to wear.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

mmm
    my jeans they are hand me "downs" from a 12yr old...
    I have shirts that are older than my eldest son and he is25...
    some of my socks are older that my 25 yr old also..
    My accesroisses include dirt under fingernails, dirt/green slime, hay,...
    If I need a dress for something formal Im lost I havent a clue what im doing.
    Friend of bar .ka

Are you kidding? I do farm/barn chores in scrubs, 'cause, hey,you can't kill scrubs. My idea of getting dressed to go anywhere is jeans and a decent shirt. I save my beautiful, expensive breeches for riding only, and they far and away outnumber the dresses in my wardrobe ( I keep one basic black dress in a timeless style that I can dress up or down appropriate to the occassion).
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

They could definitely throw me on that show, however I do like fashion. I just have no place to wear the nice and trendy clothes people think you need to wear. In fact, I get uncomfortable dressing up, I feel all wierd. Much more comfortable in a flannel shirt and worn out denim jeans. There is also the wear it until it dies factor for me. I still wear clothes from my grade school years (I do plan on re-purposing those to some younger kids though) LOL!
    Chicken Fancier

"Mischief Managed!"

I am so glad that I am not the only one who wears scrubs to the barn. I am not even a nurse! I love the fact that they are loose and cool and comfy even in our summers with 100% humidity and 95* temps!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Probably.

Not too many weeks ago I made a quick trip to town for a few groceries. Got out of the truck and noticed I hadn't changed out of my "She lives on a gravel road 12 miles from town" clothes. Paused a moment then decided I won't see anyone I know. I ran into 3 people I hadn't seen in many years. Murphy's Law in action.

I certainly am most of the time: daily wear consists of t-shirts a few sizes too big, and sweat pants with that same classy fit. When I go 'out', I generally wear jeans that are 3 sizes too big simply because I cannot FIND ones that don't button around my armpits, topped by a shirt that fits properly. I DO know how to dress, however, and have a few nice shirts that I now fit into, and dress slacks and a couple of nice pant suits that, while somewhat dated, are still looking good.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

About three quarters of my wardrobe would get me on the show because it's so plain and utilitarian but I don't have the self esteem issues that all the other women on that show have so I guess I wouldn't qualify.

I never heard of the show, but it sounds like I'd fit right in. I don't own a dress or a skirt. I have a nice pair of black jeans type pants that I wear with a nice top for dressing up.

Right now, I look particularly disreputable because all of my barn and around the house clothes are about five sizes too big for me. I've got a few things that fit for when I am going to be seen in public, but that part of my wardrobe is growing gradually, as I can afford it. Even then, I'm old enough so that I feel comfortable wearing what I like, not what is in style and those are the kinds of clothes I'll buy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Only when I go to feed the horses. Usually flannel pj bottoms- gray with snowflakes, some sort or top borrowed from DH, my Carhartts if cold, and hair in a pony tail. Either old brown field boots with no laces or flowered Sanita clogs.
    Horses don't seem to notice.

Probably they'd think so--but on the other hand, I'd want to ask "So will you give me $5000 in a year or two when all the trendy shit I bought now is out of style?" They always go for the same general look and it's always encouraging people to buy things with distinctive prints and cuts that are going to be done in a season or two. Never mind the shoes. (They are also delusional about how certain cuts of trousers flatter women who are not stick-straight, not unlike the bridal shows are kidding themselves about what a trumpet or mermaid looks like on a girl who is anything bigger than a 4 with a small cup size.)

Plus, I'd end up in jail for threatening the hairstylist with their own scissors. I don't do the shoulder-length cut almost everyone on the show ends up with (if it doesn't get hacked off shorter to a Mommy Cut.)