The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swelling after cast removal.

Broke my ankle 5 weeks ago. In hard cast for 4 weeks. That came off Thursday, and I got a walking boot. Very deceptive, as I am not allowed to walk???😁
    I think the cast as too tight as I have a pressure sore on my heel, and a bruise across the top of my foot.
    Anyway, there is a lot of swelling! The ankle, over the fracture area, not surprising amount, but the opposite side and the foot itself, is very swollen, with pitting edema.
    I'm going to call ortho Monday, but know I am not the only one on here that has had a leg cast, sadly.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

It shouldn't be swelling at this time and if it does, not like you describe. All I can suggest is elevate as much as possible and get to the doc.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Bumping this up for you.
    I don't know, my cast was on my arm and it didn't swell once it came off.

Maybe it is because of gravity, your foot needs to be held up to keep fluids from pooling down there?

Hoping it is nothing and goes away soon.

Edited to add, two of us had the same idea and at the same time.

I've broken my ankle three times and always had swelling after the cast came off.

Also, there has been pretty severe bruising that had taken weeks to show up.

The worst break, I had to ice multiple times a day for quite a long time if I was on my feet a lot.

But if your foot is swelling enough to make that boot tight then you will need to loosen it and make sure to keep your foot elevated until you can get to the Dr. I would probably even consider talking a ride to the ER and having it evaluated.

Try lying flat and putting both legs up, maybe on the sofa arm, or (I know this is an odd picture) if you have a big recliner or sofa/chair with a big ottoman that's about the same height as the chair seat, then try lying down with your back on the seat, your head on the ottoman or recliner footrest, and your feet up where your head usually goes. Maybe that will relieve the swelling a bit. Or lie flat on the rug, watch tv or something, put both lower leg on a chair seat (no arm chair) or the coffee table-kind of a sitting position, but reversed. Make sure you can roll left or right to get back up.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thanks!
    I am not an ER kinda person.
    In fact, did a bit of battle with my best friend at the time I broke it to wait till ball game was over before going. I won

I'm not scared. No pain. Just annoying swelling, discomfort from pressure.
    I can feel toes and all parts of foot, so nothing is being seriously compromised.
    It will wait till Monday.
    I just never had a broken leg before
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.