The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alpharetta, GA barn suggestions- specific needs

Sorry, I can't get the search function to work.

Have a friend who has a very, VERY horse and is looking for places in Alpharetta, more towards the south of Alpharetta/ 400 area. Not familiar with the geography, but the closer to Atlanta the better.

All the usual things are in play--- excellent care, turnout, lights. Indoor is not as important. She's not at the point that she's showing yet, but that's her goal. However, she has a woman who helps her with the horse (rides him and teaches her, but doesn't make a living at horses, does it because she enjoys it). I know she has instructor insurance, too.

Any suggestions where she can look for a good place that will allow an outside person to come and help?

I know places like this exist, because I board at one. But, I have no idea about the Alpharetta area, and mine is full and far away.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Sorry, I can't get the search function to work.

Have a friend who has a very, VERY horse and is looking for places in Alpharetta, more towards the south of Alpharetta/ 400 area. Not familiar with the geography, but the closer to Atlanta the better.
    A"very VERY" what horse? I'm assuming that she rides hunter/jumper? What does she want to spend on board? Does the barn need to have any other amenities?

More specifics would be helpful... Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    A"very VERY" what horse? I'm assuming that she rides hunter/jumper? What does she want to spend on board? Does the barn need to have any other amenities?

More specifics would be helpful... Good Luck!
    Thanks... yes, you were correct. A very nice hunter. She's not looking to do shows yet, but the Adults is a goal (local then recognized down the road). Right now, just keeping it low and learning everything he can teach her. It doesn't have to be exclusively hunter oriented, just a place she can enjoy her horse. Jumps are necessary, though.

Board should be around $800. I know the area is a bit pricey, but I assume that's do-able without needing to be in a program? Lights would be nice, and a good amount of turnout (all day/ night) with safe fencing is essential. (The horse is use to a lot of individual turnout.)

And, importantly, knowledgeable people around so she can ask questions.

OK, since this is a wish list, let's throw in no drama!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The two rubs are: "willing to let an outside person come in to teach and train," and "close to Atlanta for $800," (with good facilities.)

There are several barns that offer nice facilities and good care in the Alpharetta area. But they are run by trainers who run their own programs; they're not boarding facilities where you can bring in whomever you like. And they are more than $800 a month.

I think your friend's best bet is going to be to try to find a private barn. There are quite a few in the area, and it's possible that one of them might take a boarder and let them bring in someone to teach/train. I think they also might be closer, budget wise, to the price you mentioned.

To give you a sense of the market, I paid a base board of $950 at a Canton area barn - which is not "close to Atlanta" (probably an hour's drive) which ended up being around $1250-1300 after the mandatory extras (hay surcharge, fan charge, supply fee, etc.) I now pay $1650 to be much closer to home (5 minutes from me in Alpharetta) although that includes lessons. It's unfortunately a pricey area.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I just started to lesson at an excellent barn on Birmingham Highway. Board is cheap as are lessons. She sometimes goes down to WEF but also does locals. Might be a good place to start until she wants to move to a much fancier place? It's called Dreamland Farms. I used to ride greens professionally so don't let the website fool you; this woman is GOOD. I haven't had this good of a lesson since being a working student in South Carolina. It has a covered, outdoor, plenty of trails and hacking space, nice barn, pleasant owner and feel-good company. I live in Dunwoody (right down the road from Perimeter Mall) and it takes me exactly 40 minutes to get there, so that might be the only reason she shouldn't go. I should mention Lea Ann is also building a brand new barn down the road soon. The current arena isn't the best but it has everything you need including a variety of jumps.

That being said I don't know of any barns that would take in outside trainers. Just trying to make as good of a match on personal experience. You might try Macara Stables as well. Their clientele is upscale but from what I can tell board rates are good.

If you absolutely have to have an outside trainer try Little Creek Farm. Use to lesson there when I first got started. The trainers are really only up and downers and the facility is new but definitely not state-of-the-art. But you can have any trainer you want come in and I think a few of the students show locally, until she's ready to go to higher rated shows. Little Creek is VERY close to Atlanta. Might even be considered inside the perimeter.

Hope that helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    fan charge
    They charged you ON TOP OF BOARD for the privilege of plugging in a fan? It never ends...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The cost isn't the roadblack here- plenty of nice barns in the $800 range. The problem will be the allowing other training help. Most of those nice barns in the $800+ range require your horse or you to be in a training/lesson program.

LCF is most assuredly inside the perimeter (it's down the road from Emory). I'd LOVE an update on what's going on there now. Last time I tried to visit, it was CONDEMNED! I am thrilled, THRILLED that it's still a boarding facility.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    The cost isn't the roadblack here- plenty of nice barns in the $800 range. The problem will be the allowing other training help. Most of those nice barns in the $800+ range require your horse or you to be in a training/lesson program.
    This is definitely the issue. I grew up in Alpharetta and know of a few nice barns, but none of them allow outside boarders. I always recommend my friend Alex Liss Baigas at Hunter Valley Farms, but I highly doubt she'll allow outside trainers... Not that you would want to because she is great! She is near 400 in Alpharetta and in your friend's price range.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    They charged you ON TOP OF BOARD for the privilege of plugging in a fan? It never ends...
    I am a little surprised at this, particularly with the prices of board in that area. Although my farm isn't in Alpharetta, it is close by (30 min north in Cumming). I do not prescribe to the nickel and dime approach to board costs, if nothing else because of the difficulty in invoicing!
    So I don't charge for fans, bell boots, fly masks, blanketing, supplements, etc. I figure it into my overall board cost and charge accordingly. I am surprised other farms don't as well. *shrug*
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by englishivy View Post
    I am a little surprised at this, particularly with the prices of board in that area. Although my farm isn't in Alpharetta, it is close by (30 min north in Cumming). I do not prescribe to the nickel and dime approach to board costs, if nothing else because of the difficulty in invoicing!
    So I don't charge for fans, bell boots, fly masks, blanketing, supplements, etc. I figure it into my overall board cost and charge accordingly. I am surprised other farms don't as well. *shrug*
    Right. Unless you have some sort of timer system set up so you can keep track of who is/isn't using fans and for how long-- it's absurd not to just include this as a cost of doing business. Not to mention that the cost of any fan running for part of a day (as long as we're talking typical box fans) is probably close to de minimus. Do they give a credit to boarders who turn off lights early and save electricity? Or whom are willing to ride in the dark or with only 2/3 of the indoor lights on? Seriously. use of electricity is part of doing business and is as close to definitionally overhead as I can fathom.
    ~Veronica

3 members found this post helpful.

LCF is most assuredly inside the perimeter (it's down the road from Emory). I'd LOVE an update on what's going on there now. Last time I tried to visit, it was CONDEMNED! I am thrilled, THRILLED that it's still a boarding facility.

PM-ed you

They did. The nickel and diming (I wish - usually it was more like "Grants and Franklins") got to be just too much after a while, and is one of the reasons I moved. I don't mind paying for good service and nice facilities, but I am opposed to the practice of publishing one amount and actually charging a very different, much higher $$$ one.
    -PaulaEdwina

They did. The nickel and diming (I wish - usually it was more like "Grants and Franklins") got to be just too much after a while, and is one of the reasons I moved. I don't mind paying for good service and nice facilities, but I am opposed to the practice of publishing one amount and actually charging a very different, much higher $$$ one.
    That particular nickle/n/dime would have been the one to put me over the top. WOW.

And someone neg-ed my post. Which I assume means, someone out there thinks it's a good practice to charge boarders an extra fee for turning on the electricity It takes all kinds, right?
    ~Veronica

That particular nickle/n/dime would have been the one to put me over the top. WOW.

And someone neg-ed my post. Which I assume means, someone out there thinks it's a good practice to charge boarders an extra fee for turning on the electricity It takes all kinds, right?
    It was actually the clipping charge of OVER $300 (!!!) that sent me over the edge, but yeah... over the top is right.

And I'm with you on the neg thing. Too funny!!!! Guess it does take all kinds...
    -PaulaEdwina

It was actually the clipping charge of OVER $300 (!!!) that sent me over the edge, but yeah... over the top is right.

And I'm with you on the neg thing. Too funny!!!! Guess it does take all kinds...
    Can I ask a totally silly question? First, that's an outrageously expensive price for clipping, unless your horse was actually an entire herd of yaks! But, was there a rate sheet or anything beforehand? Or, were you just given an invoice after the fact and were charged whatever someone felt like?

I was at a place once where all the sudden they decided they would charge for fly spraying your horse before they went outside in the summer. But, there was no charge for putting a fly sheet on?!? And, of course, that wasn't in the original board contract. We had a fan charge in the summer, too, but that announcement came thru email. You'd have thought they'd have caught on to the fact summer comes every year, and changed the board rates to reflect that.

I don't mind an increase for hay, cost of grain, etc. But other things? Not so much.

The only way I can see $300 being reasonable is if your horse is such a fighting pain in the @ss that they have to put $100 worth of dermoseden into him and lay the sucker out to clip him. Otherwise, that's just ursurious!!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Can I ask a totally silly question? First, that's an outrageously expensive price for clipping, unless your horse was actually an entire herd of yaks! But, was there a rate sheet or anything beforehand? Or, were you just given an invoice after the fact and were charged whatever someone felt like?

I was at a place once where all the sudden they decided they would charge for fly spraying your horse before they went outside in the summer. But, there was no charge for putting a fly sheet on?!? And, of course, that wasn't in the original board contract. We had a fan charge in the summer, too, but that announcement came thru email. You'd have thought they'd have caught on to the fact summer comes every year, and changed the board rates to reflect that.

I don't mind an increase for hay, cost of grain, etc. But other things? Not so much.
    Perfectly reasonable question, and no... my horse has a normal coat that is kept in very good condition, if I do say so myself.

I normally clip him myself but I was working really long hours at the time and just decided to treat myself. Most of those sorts of fees *are* on the rate sheet, but went I went to look (after getting the bill) I found that particular service was not listed. It was kind of an impulsive decision... I was there for a late lesson one evening after work, and the horse was so sweaty that I just asked the trainer to get him clipped, knowing I would not have time in the immediate future. When she handed me the bill I was blown away. Found out later that that was "her usual charge" for the service... other clients also thought it was outrageous, but paid it... so I guess she gets away with it.
    -PaulaEdwina

The only way I can see $300 being reasonable is if your horse is such a fighting pain in the @ss that they have to put $100 worth of dermoseden into him and lay the sucker out to clip him. Otherwise, that's just ursurious!!
    It really was outrageous. My horse stands like a rock to be clipped and there were no drugs involved at all. As I mentioned, I do normally clip him myself and so I know for sure that he does not require drugs (nor was there any mention that he was difficult...) That was just her normal charge. The actual amount - which I think I might never forget, LOL - was $323. She explained that $300 was the normal fee, but she had to tack on another $23 for new blades.

I was truly so flabbergasted I couldn't even think of a response.
    -PaulaEdwina

You got a STEAL... the cheapest I've ever bought blades for is $30
    ~Veronica

1 members found this post helpful.