The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    They make OK coffee IF you buy "extra bold" strength cups and brew them on 8-10 ounces, not 12. Too weak otherwise.
    This has been my experience too. I'm an admitted coffee snob, though. I like dark, strong coffee, so I use the dark roast cups and brew a couple on the smallest setting. I've liked a lot of the tea - Earl Grey and chai in particular - but I can't imagine the cocoa being any good, so I've skipped it. Plus, it seems like the cocoa cups come sweetened with HFCS instead of sugar. Not an issue for some, but I prefer to avoid it.

Anyway, I haven't had mechanical issues with mine, and it's reliable. So I'd give it a "yes, buy one" recommendation!
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

I prefer lattes and fancy stuff to regular coffee most of the time, so I got a Nescafe Dolce Gusto... I love that thing so dang much. I only made lattes on occasional mornings with my old standard cappuccino maker, because it was such an involved process--grinding the espresso, packing it in, heating the milk, cleaning, etc. With this, I can actually handle the process when I'm first waking up and half conscious. You turn it on, make sure there's water in the reservoir, put in the first capsule and flip the switch, throw it away and put in the second capsule and flip the switch, toss that capsule and you're done. And the quality is actually really good--it takes some tinkering to figure out exactly how long to let the milk or espresso run, but once you've got it down it's great.

They also make regular coffee capsules, cocoa and chai capsules, and iced tea, but I haven't tried those. The one annoyance is that you can only buy the Nescafe capsules, and they're not carried many places--I order them online from Amazon and they're cheaper that way anyway.

When I was teaching, my department shared a Keurig, and it was great. Five English teachers and an art teacher who all needed something hot in the morning, but some people liked dark roasts and some were pregnant and needed decaf and some liked tea or cocoa... so it was great for having us all lined up with K-cups in hand...

I love, Love, LOVE my Keurig!! Husband gifted me with it last year & it's terrific. I have a big plastic container chock full of different coffees, teas (both regular, iced-strength, & herbal) & hot chocolate. It's just SO handy & fun.

I think if your husband (for the poster who mentioned) or yourself is a coffee-by-the-pot sort of person, I'd stick with a conventional brewer. I thought of getting one for my parents, but they both like the same type of coffee (some hazelnut blend they get at costco, actually quite yummy) and each drink about two cups per person around the same time in the morning together. For them a keurig doesn't make sense.
    For me, it does. MrB has had maybeeeee three cups of hot cocoa in the three years I've owned my keurig. And zero tea or coffee. He's a 'coke at dawn' person (gag.... love coke but it is so not a breakfast drink). With myself, on days I have work I only allow time for one cup (sleep more important), but on days that I'm off and at home in the morning (rather than rushing off to the barn earlier than I'd even leave for work, wtf!) I drink three cups, but rarely the same brew twice, and about a cup an hour. So I loff my keurig! Then all the tea I can drink at night!
    I usually make my hot chocolate with milk, so i don't really drink the keurig cocoas... But dark chocolate is far better than the milk chocolate version in my opinion!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I agree. It is perfect for me because husband doesn't drink tea or coffee ever, period, & we only enjoy hot chocolate occasionally during the winter months. And as for me, I RARELY have more than my one cup of coffee in the morning, & only sometimes enjoy a cup of iced or hot tea in the afternoon. So it definitely works here.

My husband bought me one for Christmas last year and I love it. I use the reusable cup as I mainly drink Dunkin' coffee and those Kcups are pricey. Plus I fill the cup with grounds and run it through 2 times to fill my large mug. Even with the 4 different cup sizes that machine offers its not enough. I do a medium cup and a small and it fills my mug perfectly. I haven't tried any cocoa yet but I will probably try them out soon as my daughter loves hot cocoa and it would be much easier for her to use on her own them the hot shot.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

I love mine! I'm pregnant now so only drink the teas, and occasionally the decaf. My boss got it for me for X-mas. Hubby doesn't drink coffee so before I'd be wasting a whole pot.
    The only thing I hate- The latte's, cocoas, lemonade/Iced tea, etc. all use fake sugar! I can't stand sucralose/aspartame and it gives me headaches. I've looked all over for ones that use actual sugar... ::
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I love mine! We only drink coffee on the weekends at our house (I drink it during the week, but brew my coffee at work, where we also have a K-cup machine).

The only problem I've had is that even though it has a light to tell you when it needs to be descaled (cleaned), the light has never lit up, even when it needs to be descaled (which I know because it either brews half a cup, or won't brew at all).

Easy to descale...just brew vinegar through it, then a cycle of water, then you're done!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

We recently got them at work and they are handy. And, apparently better than the free swill.

I'm just learning to drink coffee as I attempt to break my morning Coca-Cola habit.

I don't like most of the cocoas or latte type things because they have artificial sweeteners, which I don't do.

I found some K-cups at BigLots the other week, so I'm drinking Wolfgang Puck coffee right now.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

We have one at work and I tried using it to brew tea. I just wanted straight hot water from the machine, was going to put a tea bag in my mug. The brown water that comes out of that thing when there is no k-cup in it is gross. Even if you run several cups of water through it, it never comes out clear. So I don't use it at all. I think it's completely disgusting. And it's quite new.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

aren't they horrifically expensive to buy and operate?
    i make "coffee by the cup" using a little Mr. Coffee machine that was $15 on sale 5 years ago; I buy nice high-quality beans and store them in the freezer, and just grind a cup's worth at a time to get cheap, high-quality fresh coffee of any kind I desire, cheaper and better than any k-cup.

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    I would love to use the reusable K-Cup, but I can't seem to make the coffee taste as good as the stuff in the disposable K-Cups. Is there some trick to it? Is the newer reusable K-Cup better than the "official" K-Cup? Is it the grind of the coffee? I've tried coarse grind and very fine, and neither seemed to work well.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me some tips, as there're some really good hometown coffee importers/roasters here that I'd love to brew in my Keurig!
    tikihorse, try the Ekobrew cup. It holds more coffee than the Solofill or Keurig-brand reusable cup, and while some people complain that it's hard to clean, other folks claim that it's actually easier to clean. The reviews on Amazon vouch for Ekobrew's awesomeness, but this blog does a nice job laying out the pros/cons of all three:
    http://pragmaticenvironmentalism.com...ilter-is-best/

I tried a cup from this, at a friends. I hate to say this, but, my old, small Mr. Coffee, with Folger's French Roast, actually tastes better. I bought a larger Mr. Coffee a few years ago, and the coffee was terrible!!!!! So, I went back to my small one-even gourmet coffee lovers have commented on how great my coffee is. So, I'll just stay with what I have.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Convenient, but the coffee sucks. JMHO!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Hubby has a Keurig and seems to like it.

I won't use it for tea. I detest coffee. Even a hint of coffee flavor in my tea ruins the taste IMO. I use a Hot Shot water heater for tea instead. The water heats almost as fast, and a tea bag is just as convenient as a K-cup.

We bought one for our son who is a freshman in college. It's perfect for him -- easy, no mess and quick.

I prefer lattes and would rather deal with my espresso machine even though it's messier. We've tried a bunch of different coffees for the Keurig and I find them to be okay but not great.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

So for those who do love their Keurig machines, what K-cup coffees do you enjoy most?

I don't care for really strong brews like French Roast, etc.

So far my hands-down favorite of the ones I've tried is definitely "Eight O'Clock" medium roast. Always makes me think I'm sitting in my favorite diner enjoying their great coffee.

Seconds go to "Folger's" (another medium blend) & Newman's own "Special Blend". "Tully's" is okay, as is "Green Mountain", but not real favorites.

(I hope this posts... little shaky with the new format...) Does anyone know the energy usage of these machines. IOW, are they energy efficient?

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    aren't they horrifically expensive to buy and operate?
    Yes. As a single person who entertains seldom, I can't really justify the cost for home use. But we just got one at the office and I love it!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief