The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink What do I want for Christmas?? Help!

Help me find horsey stuff that I don't know I want!

My 10-year-old half chaps just died, so I'm ordering these this weekend. If anyone has the Tredstep half chaps, do they really run that large? I have 15.5 inch calves...naked...

DH says they count towards my Xmas pressies because they were on the list he was getting me, they just died earlier than planned. Ok...seems unfair .

The only other thing on my list is the iBall Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera as suggested by another COTHer. I hate having to hop out and check two or three times while hooking up by myself, AND I think we can use it for watching horses in the trailer(s) based on the reviews.

Horsey is in training and coming home soon. He has blankets, boots, bridles, saddle pads. He grew two inches in the last 1.5 months but when we brought the blanket down, it still fit. He doesn't have shipping boots... But I'm not sold on shipping boots being necessary. Do I want shipping boots? I've hauled him with just bell boots. Do I want a nice leather girth? He went from a 46'' to a 50'' in a span of a couple months, but I think he should start slowing down. I hope...

I have breeches, cold weather clothes (well, moon suit with self-sustaining heater would be nice....), boots. I was thinking of a helmet cam?? Maybe?? Like I need an excuse to take more video/pictures of my critters... And maybe a new helmet? My CO is five years old.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas! Help! I've been kvetching about all the money we've spent on DH's toys this year (two $$$ rifles, new smart phone at full price, he's starting a rawhide braiding business and rawhide isn't cheap...), so he says fine, give him a list. Um...well...crap!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Thinline reins... seriously. Best reins ever. I loff mine.

A nice leather halter with a nameplate, if you don't already have one, is also a good gift idea.

A donation to the charity of your choice.

Hmm thinline reins, I'll look into them, thanks!! Any other suggestions?

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

One of those wool-lined german saddle pads in your custom colours? Mattes

Thermatex wicking cooler
    - they are awesome, I loved mine so much (that I back-packed from England) that I bought another one last year.

What about a clinic or lessons? Books, DVDs?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

That wicking cooler looks like the bomb!! I only have one of those giant poll to tail square fleece sheets that are impossible to keep on. How does one measure for one of these??

Ugh, isn't that always the case? You get to shop and suddenly can't think of a single thing you want or need.

Winter riding tights/britches? They make nice fleece lined ones now.

How's your helmet situation? How old is it, time to replace? Comfy? Could use a backup?

Maybe try browsing through one of the bigger websites like a Dover or SSTack or similar? Maybe something will jump out at you if you just browse page by page.

For horsie themed stuff (as opposed to useful, LOL) I enjoy looking through Back In The Saddle.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Now that I think of it, my helmet is five years old.

Nice to see that CO hasn't gotten any cheaper in that time...

1 members found this post helpful.

New helmet, yes. If you want a CO, try the JR8. I'm told it's the same thing as a GR8 with the exception of the harness, but it doesn't come on all sizes.

I don't consider shipping boots a necessity, and if I want leg protection for shipping, I'd rather wrap.

If you're getting a new halter, you must get a halter plate from here. Best engraving, bar none.

Helmet cams are fun too.

TheJenners
    Now that I think of it, my helmet is five years old.

Nice to see that CO hasn't gotten any cheaper in that time...

Silly! Nothing in the equestrian world ever gets CHEAPER.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

No kidding. But you'd think, like cars, when a model is a few years old some of the price gets knocked off... but noooooooo. However they offering more colors now. Hmmm. Mine old one is black/black, but that brown looks yummy.

Custom heavy wool cooler from The Clothes Horse!! That's what I may get for myself. :-)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I like the one Blugal posted, but they are in the UK and the measuring is different.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I like the one Blugal posted, but they are in the UK and the measuring is different.
    Horse Country in Virginia sells some thermatex stuff I think. You probably can figure out how to convert inches into feet and inches, but if not I'd imagine they'd do it for you.

My MIL gave me a $$ gift certificate for my birthday--not quite enough for full-custom boots though. I ended up buying a Voltaire girth because it is not something I ever would have bought or been able to afford otherwise. Now it's here and i love love love it!
    http://en.voltaire-design.com/accessories.html
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

So it's a normal mid-chest to mid-tail measurement?