The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeder's Cup apathy--anyone else with me?

Today is the second day of the Breeder's Cup, hosted at a track just 15min from me. I didn't buy tickets and wasn't all that interested in going to begin with. Heck, I didn't even realize it was *this* weekend. This is unheard of in the home of this lifelong racing fan, who's watched every BC race (with the exception of a few of those during my college years) since its inception in 1984.

But, it was disheartening to see so many of the top 3yros of this crop retire so early--sometimes, it just seemed like, "Well, he has a hangnail and is a valuable breeding horse, so forget it! Off to the stud barn."

Add to that the two-day format, watering it down so that I can't name all the races off the top of my head, nonetheless the winners, nonetheless really recognize the names of some of the also-ran runners, and it adds to the "Meh." (I have also found it insulting that all the females race one day--the day we working folk would have the hardest to get to see--and the males the next. At least the Distaff/Ladies Classic should be on the main event day, as should the Juvenile Fillies. Harrumph.)

Add to that the dozens of racetrack-damaged horses I saw during my horse shopping months earlier this year, and then the dozens I'm seeing at the local auctions, and... meh.

I love the sport, but right now, the relationship has chilled a bit.

But, I'll watch. Maybe some horse and/or story (or a few of them) will relight me.

Anyone else who used to have the PPs organized and highlighted by this time on this day feeling a bit...meh?
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

MY biggest issue is that the only coverage I got was HRTV and I thought it was horrible. I finally quit watching. Hope it goes back to one of the networks next year.

I loved it.

'Fraid not. I went mental after Wise Dan and AK ran 1-2 in the Mile.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

I actually cheered for Animal Kingdom, so apparently I'm not so apathetic after all.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

I was totally meh this year. I used to set aside the entire BC Saturday. Then it went to two days. And, IMO, downhill from there. I agree that having all the filly and mare races on Friday is stupid. I completely forgot it was this weekend...I watched none yesterday, and the first two races today. Then had a party to go to this evening, and didn't even care enough to check the results on my phone.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I was apathetic, until I watched it today. Great races! I now have Derby fever along with my Derby pick--He's had Enough.
    Loved Little Mike in the Turf. Loved seeing Trinniberg (sp?) win one. Thought Animal Kingdom ran great, just got caught up in traffic. Wise Dan was awesome. Rooted for Mucho Macho Man who was so close.
    Oh, and Royal Delta. And the filly in the Turf Sprint beating the boys. Great racing.
    And , I think, all the horses and jockeys finished safely. No Zenyatta this year , but you can't have it all.

Well, I had a pretty great time. This was my third BC at Santa Anita, and I enjoyed it. Yeah, there were disappointments with the 3yo retirements, but boy, Groupie Doll. Watched her school yesterday, she smoked 'em today. And cheering for my favorite horses.

It was good, I thought.

I thought it was brilliant. Though I admit I don't get as excited anymore. I used to be involved and be at the BC's so just watching for the last 10 years isn't the same. For me Little Mike, Wise Dan, Trinniberg, and Royal Delta were great to watch. I was in dreamland by the time the Classic rolled around.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

What about Wise Dan's track record? I thought that was pretty exciting, even though I was rooting for Animal Kingdom. Wise Dan was amazing.

New track record of 1:31.78.

Yeah, Wise Dan was just Holy Moly! I took so many pictures of everythng and everyone. It meant having to stand for hours on the rail of the saddling paddock, and I didn't get to see the track very often, but I was out there for the Ladies Classic and the Classic. I loved it. I always love going to the track. No apathy from me. Yeah, we had so many young 3yos retire, but the older horses continue to impress. And I'm so proud of He's Had Enough, been a fan of that boy since before he raced, and he looked done, but came out of nowhere. Sure looked like IHA V. 2.0. Expecting good things from him.

And Ricardo finished ahead of GoD... on dirt!

And 2013 will be at Santa Anita again. I'm really looking forward to 2013.

Would have liked to see it, but I had to work both nights. :S But I wasn't hugely upset at missing it, either. Maybe not totally apathetic, but just not as enthusiastic as I've been before.

I am definitely not apathetic...So many of the races were very exciting and Wise Dans and Animal Kingdoms Mile race was so great. The Classic was exciting as well...I look forward to Breeders Cup every year.

Racing fans are awesome. The stories are encouraging, and it sounds like I need to rewatch some races. (Embarrassingly, I didn't really even know who Wise Dan is prior to yesterday.) I love the sport so, and there's a reason I've hung in there for 25 years. (After Go For Wand in 1990, I admit I backed away from the sport for a while. Kona Gold--who belonged to a friend--brought me back in 1998 or so.)

I find myself wanting to know more about some of the stories today, so while the fire isn't exactly lit, I will say the fire burns more brightly than the (admittedly dim) flame of yesterday.

I don't know if I'll be interested in the BC at SA next year--maybe. Lots of maybes.

Thank you, though, for sharing your excitement. Such things are contagious, after all.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

On the plus side, at least two of the older horses will be running next year. Animal Kingdom and WiseDan...so there are horses for you to look forward to seeing next year.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lauruffian, you hadn't heard of Wise Dan ?! I'm hoping he gets HOTY!! Come on you know you love it. I saw a really bad break down once that put me off too, but I couldn't stay away for long. The big races are breathtaking to me, but I also love my local track. I'll continue to support it as long as I am physically able to make the 50 mile drive

Hey I even lost weight after 2 days of BC this year. However much about a $100 weighs

I was most excited watching Animal Kingdom. If he hadn't had traffic trouble...... So thrilled to hear they are pointing to Dubai again.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    On the plus side, at least two of the older horses will be running next year. Animal Kingdom and WiseDan...so there are horses for you to look forward to seeing next year.
    Who knows, maybe Richard's Kid will be there again?

I was upset that I had to upgrade my DISH package to get NBC Sports, but we have a party every year, so had to do it. I can't believe NBC Sports does not come with a package that includes NHL and NBA and more than 150 other channels Pathetic, actually, that the BC is on a channel that apparently many people can't get. So much for making racing more available to a larger audience. Great day of racing, though.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I couldn't be home to watch the Classic coverage live on NBC so I set my DVR.

When I went to watch it (Detroit market) to find the local news was on for 22 minutes. They cut in just as the Zenyatta piece was ending and the post parade began. Fort Larned was barley pulled up after a great finish and they cut back to the local news for 16 minutes! I had to look up who finished third. It would be like the final out in the World Series being caught and then cutting to the news. Or a car crossing first in the Daytona 500 and not showing who got second, or third. There was nothing going on out of the ordinary in Detroit to warrant not showing the coverage of the Breeder's Cup.

WDIV Detroit always shafts all equestrian events. They do this all the time with the Rolex coverage.