The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've had the Duo system for a year. I Love it. I also have a lightweight no fill waterproof sheet (Amigo 1200D). The sheet is really for the summer to fall and winter to spring temps. But it does allow me to have an alternative if something were to happen to one waterproof sheet. The Amigo is also equipt to insert liners as well so a win win situation. my guy doesn't roll around a lot so I can actually get away with just snapping the liners with the clips by the tail flap and not doing the Velcro pieces during the times of months when liners are constantly changing. Never had a problem and never had issues with the blanket slipping.

I have three liners for mine. one is a 200 fill liner that is red from a previous blanket that works with the Duo, and two navy ones. Luckily the liner that came with the blanket has metal clips and the extra liner I purchased has black plastic clips so it is easy to tell which liner to use.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I have them and I like them and hate them. I love it if a horse has rain rot or a skin condition, you can toss them in the washer and dryer. Otherwise, I find them to be a PITA. I prefer having a light, med and heavyweight turnout. No extra snaps or velcro.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have my first horse, which I'm keeping at home. I'm not clipping her, but she is a fairly sensitive OTTB.

I live in North Carolina (and am a Minnesota native), so not planning on any MAJOR cold weather. I bought an Amigo 200g. I also got an Amigo cooler for after workouts.

Then, I started worrying about rainy but not too cold weather. My horse is out 24/7 with access to barn/stalls. I just got a Hay Hut, and just try to get the horses to leave that Hay Hut -- not gonna happen. So Horze has a 50% off sale right now, and I ordered their unlined Avalanche rain sheet (like the high neck, and the price -- $60!). In rainy but not too cold weather, I plan to layer the cooler and the rain sheet.

Here is what I have:

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Avalanche...=2&cgid=outlet

http://www.smartpakequine.com/amigo-...x?cm_vc=Search

http://www.smartpakequine.com/amigo-...x?cm_vc=Search

As a newbie, I'd love to hear how others would mix and match these three layers depending on the weather/temp.

Right now its 11Âșc here. My horse isn't clipped and is in most of the day. We are using a fleece blanket and a water proof blanket on top.

She'll be clipped on Sunday and we'll switch her to the water proof blanket and a 200g liner underneath.

As it gets colder, I'll increase the weight of the liners. Thats the main advantage of the interchangeable blankets!

I have stables that are all different weights as well as turn-outs that are different weights. I've never used the Duo system before so I don't know how it works etc but I find it really easy to just have differing weighted turn-outs (I change my own stables) for the girls at the barn to pick from depending on the weather.

I have the optimo set with the liners.. I didn't think of the color lables! much easier! I had my liners monogrammed with little 100, 200 & 300. I rough board so when I'm in a hurry I check the cheek & go lol
    ....... pausing