The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default blanket with interchangable liners

so I must live under a rock because I just realized that there are blankets that come with interchangable liners of different fill amounts. I really don't know why I never saw one of these before.

I am curious to hear people's experiences with these types of blankets.

I saw that Horseware has a line of these. Are there any other companies with something similar available.

I have one of those!

I love it so much I actually bought two sets so I can keep one just for shows!

Mine has an outer 1200D breathable and waterproof blanket with cotton lining, then a fleece middle blanket and a 200g polyfill lining.

When the nights start to get colder, I just put the waterproof blanket on my horse. Then as the temps drop, I add the fleece blanket and finally the lining.

Advantages:
    - Much cheaper than buying three separate blankets
    - The outer blanket is really hard to rip, so I can put the other underneath and be sure my horse won't ruin my lovely blankets
    - Really adaptable, allows me to add or remove layers as needed. Especially useful as we compete, as sometimes I have no idea how the weather will be at the show site. Makes it really easy to pack.

Disadvantages:
    - Only one: around this time of the year, we keep her with the waterproof blanket plus the lining during the night, and the blanket plus the fleece during the day. It can become a bit of a hassle to remove everything, assemble it and put it on the horse again. None of my groomers have complained yet, but when (for some reason) I have to put it on myself, I hate it!

I bought mine from Waldhausen.

Hate them, especially if the bits and pieces attach to each other. They are fiddly and time consuming. I also don't like that if the top layer is nasty/muddy, you are without a turnout if you need to wash it.

I really rather just have blankets to change. Or, but a high quality turn out sheet, and have stable layers to change out under it. But, still, rather have a couple of turnouts to choose from instead of fiddling around with layers.

If you are not your horse's main caregiver (ie, you board your horse and someone else does the majority of blanketing), don't do it! They'll curse your name every morning and evening.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Hate them, especially if the bits and pieces attach to each other. They are fiddly and time consuming.
    If you are not your horse's main caregiver (ie, you board your horse and someone else does the majority of blanketing), don't do it! They'll curse your name every morning and evening.
    The Rambo Duo system involves 2 easy velcro tabs (one on each side of the neck) - they are very popular locally & I have yet to hear anyone complaining bitterly about the misery of attaching the inner & outer layers.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    The Rambo Duo system involves 2 easy velcro tabs
    Mine has the velcros too. And the cross surgingle has a system that stops the underneath blankets from moving around.

I love the Rambo Duo blanket. I find it very easy to attach and detach liners. I also really love that this blanket does not have leg straps....one less thing to fuss around with

The Rambo Duo system involves 2 easy velcro tabs (one on each side of the neck) - they are very popular locally & I have yet to hear anyone complaining bitterly about the misery of attaching the inner & outer layers.
    Meh. I don't like it. I much rather throw a layer over top, instead of having to take things apart and put them back together. I change a lot of blankets in the winter. I find them time consuming.

I have used the Duo system on all my horses and really like it. One advantage to having different layers, I can wash them all at home (separately) in my front load, where one big turnout of equivalent weight would be too much. I try to wash the outer blanket infrequently to preserve the waterproofing, but can do the liners anytime they need it. The only criticism is that the liners aren't easy to tell apart, since they are all navy blue, so some way of marking the different weights is necessary. I don't find the attachment system difficult at all - two velcros at the neck and snap two snaps at the back. I've not had barn staff complain either. Sometimes they forget or dont know to close the front liner strap (it is separate from the outer blanket closure), but figure it out once reminded or shown.

1 members found this post helpful.

I hated the duo and the barn staff refused to fuss with changing the layers.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

thanks for the replys. I do have my horses home so it would just be me doing the changing.

They caught my eye because there were a few days this week when I felt like their 200 fill blankets were a little much but their unlined sheets seemed like too little. I kept thinking 100 fill would be perfect. So I started looking around and thinking about buying ANOTHER blanket. Then I saw the liners and though....could I put these under the sheets I already have???? It does seem that most liners are designed to go with certain blankets though.

Does anyone have something you have used under an unlined tunout sheet that you feel added some warmth to it without making it as hot as a 200 or 300 fill blanket.

My mare has one of these for under her sheet. Slips on over the head and the sheet's leg straps go through slots in the back to keep everything in place. She's on 24/7 turnout and is old so I blanket her more aggressively than my young Arab. It's great for days when she needs more than the sheet, but less than a midweight (it's 180g fill).

We have a few of the Duo's and have had them for a few years. I have mixed feelings about them only due to the amount of rubbing on the mane which results in a thin patch in the spring. Other than that pesky detail when it comes to braiding in the spring/summer - they're super easy to change out and have held up very well IMO.
    We have a fairly wide selection of different weight/age blankets going back into the late 80's, so fwiw, I did not use any of the Duo's when we started the transition from turnout sheets to heavier blankets yesterday purely because the blanketed horses are the show/sale horses. I will put them into use later in the winter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini1220 View Post
    thanks for the replys. I do have my horses home so it would just be me doing the changing.

They caught my eye because there were a few days this week when I felt like their 200 fill blankets were a little much but their unlined sheets seemed like too little. I kept thinking 100 fill would be perfect. So I started looking around and thinking about buying ANOTHER blanket. Then I saw the liners and though....could I put these under the sheets I already have???? It does seem that most liners are designed to go with certain blankets though.

Does anyone have something you have used under an unlined tunout sheet that you feel added some warmth to it without making it as hot as a 200 or 300 fill blanket.
    I believe the Rambo Duo system without any layering under is a 100 gram and they make a 100 gram liner too.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I believe the Rambo Duo system without any layering under is a 100 gram and they make a 100 gram liner too.
    Yep.

Part of why I don't get that annoyed with changing liners, etc., is because our relatively mild climate means I don't have to switch weights that much. My horses (presently unclipped, but that may change soon) wear the outer 100 g blanket on its own more than anything. I'd probably look at it differently if I had to switch more often.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I have used the Duo system on all my horses and really like it. One advantage to having different layers, I can wash them all at home (separately) in my front load, where one big turnout of equivalent weight would be too much. I try to wash the outer blanket infrequently to preserve the waterproofing, but can do the liners anytime they need it. The only criticism is that the liners aren't easy to tell apart, since they are all navy blue, so some way of marking the different weights is necessary. I don't find the attachment system difficult at all - two velcros at the neck and snap two snaps at the back.
    Some of my Duo liners have a tag, some don't, even among the 100gm. I'm thinking of marking them, but it's pretty easy to feel 100gm vs 200gm--something barn staff probably won't deal with though. You don't have to use the velcro. I use Amigo sheets and blankets and the older ones don't even have dees that match up to the velcro on the liners. I got a 100 gm Amigo blanket last year that does have the extra dee. As long as I have both sides of the liner clipped onto the outer blanket by the tail strap, the velcro isn't needed.

I've used the Duo. I liked it, the BO didn't. She felt like it was a lot of work to change around versus just grabbing a different weight blanket.

I have the equivalent of a duo (new original w/ leg arches and liner) and love it . I understand that adding a liner is more work than just putting on a different blanket but is two velcro tabs at the front really more work than putting on two entire sheets? Also makes washing them incredibly easy and saves money on buying multiple blankets since the liners come in 100g, 200g, 300g and 400g. I also already have an old 100g blanket that I'll use under the rambo when I only need a bit more instead of buying a new liner so yes there are ways to layer without the specific liners.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBs View Post
    Some of my Duo liners have a tag, some don't, even among the 100gm. I'm thinking of marking them, but it's pretty easy to feel 100gm vs 200gm--something barn staff probably won't deal with though.
    I noticed the new one I just bought had a tag on the liner indicating weight. I can't say that I can really tell my 100 g from my 200 g liners just by feeling them, especially after they've been washed and kind of compressed. Would not expect barn staff to know without a label of some sort.

for the less well off - you can also use the Amigo's and liners.... even if the blanket doesn't have the tab loops i have been using amigo's and liners for the last 3 years and i LOVE THEM!

i love love love horseware products!

I put different colored engraved tags on the front of my Duo liners (stating 100g, 200g, 300g, plus my name and the temp range I use them for) to make it a little easier. Love the Duo system!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

2 members found this post helpful.