The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Sick Of Not Feeling Well! Do you always ride when your sick?

For the last 3 weeks I have just not been feeling well. I have had lower abdomen pain. I have no idea what from but is very painful. On and off for 20-30 minutes a couple times throughout the day. It doesn't feel like the flu. I think i'm going to go see my gynecologist this week. It just doesn't seem right. And now I've had a cold all week. I've still been riding almost everyday just trying to ignore it but its starting to get to the point where I am just worn out. I even cancelled my jump lesson today. I normally never do that. I hate not wanting to ride because I just don't plain feel well! Do you just put up with the sick feeling and just ride?

Nope. My barn owner is getting older and doesn't bounce back from colds the way she used to. She requests that we stay home when we're contagious. Plus, riding is dangerous enough when I'm 100%. Why ride when I'm impaired?

Fair weather and good health rider here. When it was my job, I rode sick and injured. It's not anymore. Horses are my HOBBY . It's wonderful. It also means I can stay home on the couch and whine when I don't feel good.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I don't ride when I'm sick and have found that riding when I'm exhausted isn't productive. Due to one thing and another I haven't ridden in two weeks. Right now I've got a terrible cold so probably won't ride until next week.

I used to ride when I was sick, but not anymore. Partially because I've found that if I keep pushing through, I'll just stay sicker for longer, and partially because my current mare is super sensitive, and she really needs me to be at 100% for our rides to be productive.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I usually ride when I am sick. I had mono and I rode until the doctor said my spleen was so enlarged it could burst. For colds and stuff, yea, I usually ride, but I'm also young, and bounce back from that sort of stuff in a few days. If I was getting really worn out from riding, then no, I wouldn't risk it. My QH would probably decide I wasn't paying enough attention and buck me off.

For unexplained abdomen pain? No way would I ride. You don't know what is going on, a fall could set it off, make it worse, whatever. I wouldn't risk it.

1 members found this post helpful.