The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Things I never thought would be "me-time" pre-children

My school had early dismissal yesterday for the end of the grading period. All of my grades were done and I was ready to go by 1:30, but I found myself trying to figure out what to do. My youngest was napping in his preschool classroom by that point, my eldest was still in school, and my horse was under orders to have a day of stall rest following his chiro adjustment.

Hmmm...can't pick up kids, can't ride horse, what to do, what to do...I know! GO TO THE GROCERY STORE BY MYSELF! YESSSSS!

That shopping trip was epic. EPIC, I tell you.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

5 members found this post helpful.

LOL...yes a solo grocery trip is indeed heaven compared to bringing wee ones. Or multiple wee ones.

Costs less too.

A few other Me Time indulgences right after having kids were: Warm Food. Solo Showers.

I remember the first night out to dinner post-pregnancy and I said, "Boy, this is good but it tastes funny." Because it was still warm, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL... Agree. I can cut my grocery list in half, but it will still take twice as long if I have my SS in tow. My SD is actually quite helpful.

Re-defined "me" time? Going to work! Crazy, I know. My office has a door, however, and my co-workers are capable of getting their own snacks and beverages, don't interrupt my calls, and don't bang on the bathroom stall door when I'm trying to pee.
    Jer 29: 11-13

My good friend tells a great story of how she went for a haircut at a swanky salon on a Friday evening - the last one of the day, because by then the kids (one a baby, the other a toddler) would have been fed and nearly ready for bed so she could hand them off to the dh.

The stylists were talking about where they would be going "out" after work - and asked my friend where she was going out, assuming that's why she was having her hair done at 8pm. And she said..."Um...actually, I AM out! After this I'm going home and going to bed!"

My kids are old enough to be home alone when I shop now, but I remember those rare, solo shopping trips well!

Oh, and while yes it usually is cheaper (because I can pay closer attention to what I'm buying and spending), this time around I dropped over $200. Of course, that's because the chaos of the last two weeks has meant some of our shelves were bare and we were completely out of paper towels (I bought one of the house-sized multi-packages of them). I swear, in a house with two small boys, PT are right up there with TP in daily necessity.

And I bought RUM! Yummy Malibu Coconut Rum to go with a giant vat of pineapple juice!

So there was some personal indulgence in there, as well.

Aggie4bar and s1969--I have a new perspective of my work (even if it's being surrounded by a room full of middle schoolers for 7 hours). It's a break. I used to have anxiety on Sundays about going back to work on Mondays. Notsomuch now.

Heh, because of the budget crisis, I have 7 furlough days this year. But you know what they mean? A day off--seven of them!--with no kids (they're in a different district) and no hubby. A day to MYSELF. Maybe not what's best for my students or the school system, but man spending the day doing things like riding my horse and getting my hair done and watching girly DVRed shows is awfully sweet lemonade from that basket of lemons.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Showering...alone...with the door closed. Biggest break EVER! My BF picked my kids up from daycare yesterday because I had to work a bit late and offered to keep them a little longer so I could go grocery shopping without two toddlers...it was AMAZING

My best friend has 3 kids and usually we take the 2 youngest (5 and 2) everywhere with us, Even when the 5 year old wants to hang at home with dad and big sister, the littlest one comes along. A few weeks ago, we went to the library together to work on some projects sans children and we were both twitchy and hyper-vigilant the whole time because we felt we had lost track of them in the library, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    Showering...alone...with the door closed. Biggest break EVER! My BF picked my kids up from daycare yesterday because I had to work a bit late and offered to keep them a little longer so I could go grocery shopping without two toddlers...it was AMAZING
    Noctis, your BF gets a gold medal!
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

The various "I'm a parent, nail me to my cross" threads this OT has only reinforced three things in my mind:

1) Having kids is the stupidest thing a person can do
    2) Having kids ruins your life
    3) Having kids robs you of basic human decency like the ability to pee in privacy (see points #1 and #2)

I know this isn't the case but sheesh... the way this forum reads this week makes me wonder why anyone would think there's anything good about kids. Maybe someone should start a thread about why having kids is the most rewarding experience and your life was *wonderfully* transformed by the experience.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

2 members found this post helpful.

Some people really don't have a maternal cell in them..and that's not a bad thing. It still is a child-centric society, so for those who dislike children and/or prefer not to be parents it can be hard because they often hear how they're unnatural or wrong when that's just not the case. So good for them for having a vent thread or two.

However I don't think it's stupid or ruins your life. Thankfully their parents didn't feel the same.

Kids are awesome. Sure you change your whole life. Sure certain things take a backseat while your children come first. Sure all moms go a bit nuts from time to time.

But for most moms...it's so very much totally worth it. Even if you do forget what hot food tastes like and cut up everyone's meat for them by accident when you finally get a night out with other adults.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh and FWIW...grown children does not mean uninterrupted showers. My baby is 19 and lives in NC right now. And if I shower at night, the husband either needs to ask me something or "forgets" and runs water elsewhere so I freeze/scald.
    And if I shower during the day while he's at work? 2 whining worried dogs...showers eat people I guess.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Peeing alone is overrated. Now that the kids are gone I have a dog who joins me.

My children are both off to college right now, but they have brought me much joy over the years. All of the irritating little things are by far outweighed by the good things-at least they were or me. Sometimes it does help to be able to laugh about the irritants. It helps put them in perspective.

3 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

The solo grocery trip is epic!

Having children is the best thing I have ever done, but parenting really separates the wheat from the chaff
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Good way to express it, RB, especially to a fellow parent!

It's not easy but it makes the little things, like solo grocery shopping trips, seem so much better than they are!

This forum is notoriously anti-kid so maybe we can just let the parents bask in their little rewards... just a little. We'll get back to the dog and pony show soon enough.

This is how my life is, lol...

http://cheezburger.com/1451150592#

Now, since we have 1 bathroom, they wait until I am in the shower and want to talk...I don't think that when the kids are home I have been to the bathroom in peace in 24 yrs...
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    The various "I'm a parent, nail me to my cross" threads this OT has only reinforced three things in my mind:

1) Having kids is the stupidest thing a person can do
    2) Having kids ruins your life
    3) Having kids robs you of basic human decency like the ability to pee in privacy (see points #1 and #2)

I know this isn't the case but sheesh... the way this forum reads this week makes me wonder why anyone would think there's anything good about kids. Maybe someone should start a thread about why having kids is the most rewarding experience and your life was *wonderfully* transformed by the experience.
    I can tell you that right quick. My kids make me a better person. I am happier, more productive, less selfish (though alone bathroom time can make me snappy), and I am more conscious of the world around me. They bring me immense happiness and sometimes sleepless tear filled nights. They bring a reason to get up in the morning. When I am having a bad day, they try to make me feel better and laugh. They tell me I am the perfect size when I am feeling fat. They have unannounced "cuddle puddles" that have been known to nearly break furniture and I wind up at the bottom of the pile. They show me where I can be a better person, and where I have been a good person and a good parent. They tend to be a window to my soul.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

I post things like this just because I enjoy keeping my sense of humor. Heh, I love my boys, LOVE them, even if one did give himself a haircut with my horse clippers tonight (heh).

They have taught me incredible patience, loosened my uptight nature, and reminded me of the joy and wonder of the world. They have also made me a far, FAR better teacher because I understand my students (and their parents) so very much more.

But more than that. It's the Lego creations and the developing understanding and empathy...it's watching my eldest with out 36" mini and the youngest with his beloved B (teddy bear). It's watching two little humans grow into amazing, loving, sensitive, kind little people. It's...indescribable.

Sure, sometimes you want to go RARRRRRR! on them, and sometimes you joke about eating your young. But that's all humor and healthy venting.

Going to the grocery alone--showering alone, peeing alone, etc.--sweet treats appreciated more because of their rare nature.

Now I wanna go cuddle and kiss my little men. Awww.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Awww, I miss Legos!

Well, except for stepping on one when barefoot.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

well JUST last night my Mom agreed to keep the man overnight and until 11 the next day... I spent the evening watching crappy reruns and putting his puzzles back together... spending a little time READING... and best of all, this morning I had an uninterrupted run to the barn, and spent some quality time with my yearling. all in all...heavenly. As a single mom, these few hours are soooo precious.