The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Working Internationally??

So now of course since I am well on my way to getting my Accounting degree and working in Finance, I have moved on with my day dreams.

After the Bachelor's will come the CMA (Certified Management Accountant) then probably a Masters in Accounting.

I wonder how hard it would be to be an Accountant in Costa Rica?

If I get the Masters I can teach college Accounting online while traveling internationally. One of the profs at the college I work at is getting her PhD in Accounting to even teach internationally!

Anyone done any international work?? Please do tell all!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I have worked internationally but always for a US based company so I've not had to go through the whole process of getting the appropriate paperwork/permission from the host country by myself. To work in Mauritius, I had to do an extensive physical exam including an HIV test in order to get my business visa.

In order for me to teach there, I had to get my syllabus and training materials approved by the gov't and provide certification to the employees. (customer service training, accent reduction training)

That's been almost 10 years ago now though, so no idea what the process would be now.

At any rate, working abroad has been fun for me. I hope you can find a way to do it! Best wishes!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Geez that sounds exciting! Good to day dream about, that is for sure.
    The Knotted Pony

I worked in Costa Rica for six months last year (moved sight unseen). Obviously if you'd be looking to work with Costa Ricans you'd have to work on your Spanish to compete with local accountants. Most people in tourism (HUGE in CR) speak English but with other industries it's rather hit or miss. I know it's becoming a bit of a tech hub with IBM, Hewlett Packard, and some engineering companies starting centers there.

I can tell you from experience that work visas are a PITA and a lot of ex-pats live on a tourist visa, with border runs every few months to renew. Most people in that situation are retirees or volunteers, not sure how it'd work when you're pulling income. If you're interested there are a TON of ex-pat communities there, large enough that some people can avoid even learning Spanish Land/housing is still cheaper than US but steadily climbing, particularly in certain areas (partly due to foreign influx).

Living-wise, there are pretty much all the modern amenities you'd want and the vast majority of the country has potable water. Remember it rains every single day for a few months depending on where you live (Monteverde gets significant rain year-round). Houses are generally smaller and a fair amount have no a/c (but are built to take advantage of wind, shade, fans etc). Public transportation is pretty available, but roads are rough (saying in CR: you can tell when a driver's drunk if he's going straight). Personally I wasn't a huge fan of San Jose, but there are plenty of commutable suburbs and other cities to work in, plus the smaller towns or tourist hotspots (which may be more likely to hire an American).

To get a feel, La Nacion is the national newspaper, Tico Times is (ironically) a popular English language, ex-pat newsletter.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Kateh, thank you for all the info!
    The Knotted Pony

Default Fabulous!

I've been living and working abroad for the past 6 years and love it. I'm a teacher at an International School and feel heppy every morning when I go to work.

It was a bit difficult when I first left because I was really starting from scratch socially, but it's worked out well.

I highly recommend living abroad! It's an amazing experience
    ~please recycle~

Love living and working internationally but can be a royal pain in the butt to get visas!

I have been working here in Australia for 4 almost 5 years. Two years on working holiday visas and then managed to get my work visa/ pernament resident visa. Working holiday super easy to get.

The pernament work visa oh my that was some fun times! Roughly close to a year of medicals, paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork! Including criminal check the old fashion black ink fingerprints! lol Also expensive : around 4.5K for the visa it self plus another few $100-500 for medicals. Double all that if you go through an agent.

A plus would be with the sponsored work visa is that the employer has to pay you a certain amount and guarantee work for 2-4 years.

Not like this helps you but being in the Commonwealth did for sure help and does around the world.

Love all the travelling I get to do while I'm here and the people I meet!

Do it if you can!

P.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Getting a volunteer visa when I went to South Africa with a reputable org. was hard enough, I cannot even imagine the difficulties of getting a work visa. In SA they are always concerned that expats will take South African jobs, which is fair enough.

I would, and actually plan to, do it again though I am already dreading dealing with the work visa....the volunteer one took 3 separate trips to the South African embassy, which was a 4 1/2 hour train journey. Absolute nightmare.

Having said that, the experience is SO WORTH IT...go with an open mind & heart, you will have the best time of your life . I love living abroad.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I live and work abroad. I've had generally positive experiences with work visas - both here in Germany, and in Turkey. But, I have a PhD, so that tends to move things along.

I never planned on moving to another country for a job - it just kind of happened. I've been here a full year and I really love it.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Kateh, thank you for all the info!
    Feel free to PM me with more questions!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue