The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just a rant

Horse injured herself on Oct 23. Got a small puncture on hind leg and yes vet has been out. Vet advised stall rest and letting her out in arena during stall cleaning for some excersize.

Yesterday BO let horse and another mare out in arena ( they get along and were just eating hay in there) while she ran to vet to get more antibiotics for our horse. When she got back from vet's she noticed a different horse wallking loose in the arena. She ran in the barn to see if our horse and the other mare were in their stallls and discovered that they were still in the arena as well.

So boarder turned her horse out loose in the arena knowing that there were already two other horses in there which have never been introduced to each other.

Thankfully nothing happened but jeez who does that? This could have gone so wrong in a heartbeat. And yes boarder knew that our horse had an injury and was on stall rest.

So do I say something to the other boarder or let it slide ?

Since nothing actually happened, I would leave this issue to the BO/BM

This problem should be adressed, but by the BO/BM.
    It could have been a truly dangerous situation and the boarder should be aware that s/he should NEVER do that again.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks. That is what I thought as well. Bo just mentioned it while she was teaching lessons so I didn't get a chance to ask for many details. I will try to get more info today and ask her if she said anything to the other boarder or not.

Sounds pretty standard for some of the idiots I've boarded with! I've had someone turn their horse loose in the ring while others were in there riding. Kind of one of those things where it is so basic, you don't think you need to have a rule about it, but you do.

Stories like this make me glad my ponies are home and the only BO, BM, or other boarder I have to deal with is ME.

I'v had other boarders at a barn take it upon themselves to turn MY horse out with theirs when mine was on stall rest. They told me they thought mine needed more exercise and since I hadn't been turning him out they felt sorry for him and thought I just wasn't doing it. On top of him being on stall rest he had never been out with any of these horses before and was fresh off the track and had very limited social skills with other horses. (the dominate horses could beat the crap out of him and he would keep going back for more)

I was a little more than pissed and probably over reacted :/ a little bit. lol But I would defiently nicely say something to the BO/BM or the people just to make it doesn't happen again.
    ride like you have never ate the dirt

Should you? No.

Should the BO? Yes. And if they didn't want to on their own accord, I would politely mention that I would appreciate them talking with the boarder. Your mare is laid up with an injury; she doesn't need to get hurt worse because of someone else's ineptitude/incompetence/ignorance/lack of caring. (Can you tell what I think of them?)

agree ask the BO to mention it to the boarder and if your barn does any kind of email updates etc maybe the BO/Bm can include something to reinforce rehab scenarios or something. It amazes me that some boarders can be so clueless. While often it's best not to get into other people's business when it comes to the welfare of the horse, don't hesitate to ask. My horse is currently on stall rest w/ another rehab horse, he was 24 hours since coming home and the other horse's owners were scheduled to take their horse out for a walk sometime that day - You bet I wrote on note - PLEASE don't take your horse out until we come back - no way was I going to risk my horse freaking out in his stall.

I had a shipper arrive with a horse in the middle of the night, not call any of the many numbers we provided or contact the BO who lived on site and decided all the stalls were full and put the mare in the indoor arena where several horses were turned out overnight!!! I almost had a heart attack! He walked past not only the mare's stall which was obviously empty since she was not in it yet but also the empty stalls of all the horses who were in the indoor. Thank God everything turned out ok.