The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinons on my mare...please-stallion suggestions for the future

I am looking for opinions on my mare, and suggestions on future stallions for her. She is 3 years old, by Starlight and out of a TB mare. Awarded Premium MMB with Oldenburg NA this year. Her left hind had an injury earlier this spring, that does not hinder her movement at all, but it is "ugly". She has been lightly backed, and will continue her dressage training over the winter.

Would like opinions on her in what she needs improvement on etc, and also stallion suggestions for the future.

http://flic.kr/p/dq92M6

http://flic.kr/p/dq9boq

http://flic.kr/p/dq9bC3

Thanks everyone!!

It is a little tough to see her conformation in the photos. I can't tell about her shoulder. In the trot photo it looks a little straight but the set looks good. In the conformation photo, the shoulder doesn't look as straight, but the neck set looks pretty low. Is she by Starlight the Hanoverian? If so, sometimes, SH offspring get a straighter shoulder. She has lots of leg, but looks like she could use some more bone. She also looks (if she is bred for dressage) like she could use some more carry and suspension.

So I would look for a stallion that was a little more "old fashioned" - more bone, bigger movement, more prone to natural engagement, definitely with a good shoulder and neck set. I would look for a stallion with a shorter back too as she is long enough already. Wanderbursch II, Ballissimo M, Brentano II, Amorex, Chicardo (a jumper stallion, but with awesome gaits and nice conformation and a lot of bone), Waldaire come to mind. I also think my stallions, Gauguin du Cheval, Gauguin's Brush, Prestige II TG or possibly Weltfrieden TG, would cross well with her.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

I totally agree with Georgia. The shoulder looks really straight and the neck set is too low particularly for a dressage horse. The neck may be a bit short too. Her legs are long but thin, especially below the hock/knee.

Look for a short-coupled stallion with plenty of bone, a superb neck and front, and one that has uber-suspension and cadence.

I am of course assuming you are wanting to breed a dressage horse?

1 members found this post helpful.

QUATERBACK

Thanks everyone so far, thank you for saying what I was thinking. I am glad I am on the right track in my thinking.

Yes the conformation picture is not the best, but the best I've got. Her inspection pictures didn't turn out the greatest.

She definately needs more bone, she's a "tooth pick" as I call her. Very very light. Also agree with her neck set/shoulder.

The Starlight that was/is approved Oldenburg Verband, he was exported to Germany.

Funny that you say Quaterback, as I've actually been eying him for her.

Thanks everyone keep em coming!

I'm no conformation expert, but may I just say that your mare is lovely!

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think that Quaterback will help this mare much in the neck department. Have you seen Benetton Dream (Brentano II/Rotspon)? He has the neck, shoulder and hind end as well as excellent gaits. He is quite tall though ~17 hands.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone!! I haven't seen Benetton Dream...link?? I don't mind tall.

This mare has quite the story. She is out of my TB mare, and was bred by the old owner of my TB mare. I bought the TB mare. In May I was contacted to see if I'd want this filly, her be given to me. She had been injured, and it not being taken care of properly. She had elves feet, and was a rack of bones. She's come along ways since the end of May when I got her. Still working on muscle development, but that will come with time.